Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,910 times

Advertisements

I feel so dumb! I posted this before saying we were moving to Hartford when in reality we are moving to the Fairfield Area. So sorry to everyone who answered with the wrong city. Any insights on the Fairfield Area. I guess I'm just really stressed with the move! =) Sorry!

Hi Everyone
This summer we will be moving our family of 5 to the Fairfield area for my husband's new job (located in Hartford). I am looking for anyone's advice, insight, suggestions, anything on places to live. We currently live in Miami and are definitely not looking for anything similar! =) The home can be up to 2 million so price shouldn't be a problem but I want to find a town that is not snobby. Which towns have a lot of community involvement, down to earth people, friendly, lot of sports for the kids? I am looking for a town where we can make some good friends and have fun without the pressure - am I wearing the right clothes, saying the right things etc. Thank you so much! I'm so lost!!!! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM

468 posts, read 708,829 times
Just to clarify: Will your husband be commuting from the Fairfield area to Hartford? Because that's...pretty brutal. I know someone who does Westport to Hartford four days a week and is at the end of their rope.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Are you moving to the town of Fairfield or to Fairfield county? Is there a reason for picking the Fairfield area? This area is not a Hartford suburb and the commute is really not feasible over the long run. Too far and too much traffic.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Fairfield is a very nice small city of around 60,000 people, with good schools, nice shopping and a good variety of housing. Some homes are newer, while others are a bit older. Agreed with the above, though, that Fairfield to Hartford is a brutal commute - I did Avon to Fairfield for a while, which is a bit shorter, and it was wearing on both me and my car, despite not much traffic.

Surrounding Fairfield are some very nice upscale towns with outstanding public schools, and with a $2 million budget, you should not have a problem finding a nice place to live. (Though, you won't get quite as much for your money as you would in the Hartford area.)

Start with the 3 Ws - Wilton, Westport and Weston. Weston is a small town and pretty rural, and most homes will have 2 acre minimum lots. Wilton is a bit bigger and has more going on, but still is fairly rural and most homes have 2 acre lots as well. Westport is a vibrant town of 25,000 or so, with a good arts scene, some upscale shopping and more going on than Weston and Wilton. It's more liberal than the moderate to conservative Weston and Wilton. (Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward called Westport home for many years, as did Martha Stewart.)

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,910 times
I'm so sorry to confuse everyone. My husband's job is in Fairfield. I said Hartford by accident. We want to live near Fairfield.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessad View Post
I'm so sorry to confuse everyone. My husband's job is in Fairfield. I said Hartford by accident. We want to live near Fairfield.
No problem, Vanessa.

At least it hadn't gotten to a 100+ responses of people bashing each other because one town is more or less snobbish than another town in their eyes, and the schools in town X are just as good as town Y and Z, etc, etc, while providing you with a limited amount of information.

Fairfield is a great place to live, and many of the surroundings towns are as well - the 3 Ws I mentioned above, as well as towns like Ridgefield, Easton, Redding, New Canaan and Darien. You can't really go wrong with the schools in any of those towns, and there should be plenty of activities for kids in all of them.

However, there is a lot of wealth in these towns and you do risk running into some snobbish people.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I would make the suggestion that you look right in the town of Fairfield first. With your budget you could get a lovely home in any number of excellent neighborhoods.

Schools are great, there are beaches, lots of activities for families ( it's a very family oriented area) and I think it would be a good fit for what you are describing you'd like to have.

Fairfield county traffic is horrendous. I'm always of the opinion, that if you can, live as close to work as possible. In your case, you can have the best of both worlds, great town to raise kids and proximity to work.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Just live in Fairfield. It's a super well rounded town. If you want to save money, you could look at surrounding suburbs that have a nice down to earth feel - Trumbull, Monroe, Shelton, Milford, Easton, Orange.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Just live in Fairfield. It's a super well rounded town. If you want to save money, you could look at surrounding suburbs that have a nice down to earth feel - Trumbull, Monroe, Shelton, Milford, Easton, Orange.
Someone who is looking to spend $2 million on a house wont be interested in Trumbull, Milford or Shelton lol. Maybe Easton but more likely Fairfied or Westport.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Someone who is looking to spend $2 million on a house wont be interested in Trumbull, Milford or Shelton lol. Maybe Easton but more likely Fairfied or Westport.
You're right, unless you want a high-end waterfront home.

I'd personally spend way under my budget in this area if I had that kind of budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut