Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM

468 posts, read 709,885 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you feel like a nut?

What you see as a paradox is really just you painting with too broad of a brush. New England and Connecticut may stereotypically be a part of the country that prefers fresh or organic food, but we contain multitudes. E.g., we're stereotyped as liberal, but there are still plenty of conservatives; Connecticut is considered rich, but there are plenty of poor and lower-middle-class people.

Aside from Dunkin', the popularity of which is totally confusing to me since everything I've had there is vile, I don't think that there's much overlap between the organic crowd and the chain restaurant crowd. Two different demographics, both of which exist here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,691,212 times
Personally, theres a place for both. If truth be told, I'd love to get the chance to drive thru a Hardees instead of only McD's, BurgerK's, and Wendy's. Duchess is good, but there aren't enough. A great mom & pop Greek diner s the only place I like on Sundays.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Aside from Dunkin', the popularity of which is totally confusing to me since everything I've had there is vile, I don't think that there's much overlap between the organic crowd and the chain restaurant crowd. Two different demographics, both of which exist here.
x2.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,912,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Is it just me or is this a blind paradox of Connecticut and New England for that matter?

Then those very same people are in a 45-60 minute drive-thru line at Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts

And Friendly's is the chain Connecticut and Massachusetts residents will wait up to 2-3 hours for that processed burger ....with 40 minute waits to be seated, and bring in a party of 12 relatives for long afternoon meal of a burger and fries and a tortilla salad drenched in balsamic vinaigrette...and pay $15-$20 a piece for friendly's food
I'm not so sure the same people who eat at "organice family-owned restaurants" are also lining up at Friendly's. As already pointed out, I think we just have two different demographics. And a lot of out-of-state travelers passing through.

I don't know anyone who likes Friendly's, let alone have a party of 12 relatives go there for a meal. In fact, Friendly's is so terrible, haven't several of their restaurants closed in recent years?

Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,968,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm not so sure the same people who eat at "organice family-owned restaurants" are also lining up at Friendly's. As already pointed out, I think we just have two different demographics. And a lot of out-of-state travelers passing through.

I don't know anyone who likes Friendly's, let alone have a party of 12 relatives go there for a meal. In fact, Friendly's is so terrible, haven't several of their restaurants closed in recent years?
They've had 2 bankruptcy or bankruptcy-like reorganizations in the past 10-11 years that involved several restaurants closing. They're kind of caught in between being a fast food restaurant and a sit down type place.

Friendly's is a nice place to bring the kids for ice cream after a soccer or little league game or similar event - I think it's a bit better than McDonald's.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM

468 posts, read 709,885 times
I haven't been to a Friendly's in years. I only started going when Bee Bee Dairy closed down forever ago (anyone remember that place?) and there was literally no other diner type place in town. It wasn't great even then. I certainly wouldn't wait in line for the pleasure.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Friendly's is a nice place to bring the kids for ice cream after a soccer or little league game or similar event - I think it's a bit better than McDonald's.
We prefer going to the local ice cream shop over Friendly's any day of the week.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,147,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
We prefer going to the local ice cream shop over Friendly's any day of the week.
Agree. I'd hit Ferris Acres or Walnut Beach Creamery over Friendly's/Carvel ANY day.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,968,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not every town has a local ice cream shop, though.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not every town has a local ice cream shop, though.
Any town that has a Friendly's definitely has a local ice cream shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut