Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,064,776 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is this a blind paradox of Connecticut and New England for that matter?

You have some really really really irreplaceable italian and seafood restaurants you know by name and cry if they ever close down

Then those very same people are in a 45-60 minute drive-thru line at Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts

And Friendly's is the chain Connecticut and Massachusetts residents will wait up to 2-3 hours for that processed burger ....with 40 minute waits to be seated, and bring in a party of 12 relatives for long afternoon meal of a burger and fries and a tortilla salad drenched in balsamic vinaigrette...and pay $15-$20 a piece for friendly's food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,436,425 times
Just because someone loves a mom and pop Italian joint doesn't mean they don't also love their morning bagel and coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Why would you think they are mutually exclusive?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 AM

35,046 posts, read 57,143,115 times
I don't think this is any different in other parts of the country where there are great local places (NJ, PA, NY, etc.). The chains have great advertising so some people just go there because of that. Why people line up at the Red Lobster in Wethersfield when right down the Silas Deane Highway is the superior Saybrook Fish House is beyond me. Even the Chowder Pot in Hartford is better IMHO. We tend to stick to the local family run places but not everyone does. Their lose. Jay

Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 AM

I would be nuts to line up at red lobster in New England

What bothers me even more about New England fastfood chains is when a building with historic heritage and/or WAS a notorious mam and pap, is NOW a Dunkin Donuts with the remnants of the old outdoor design but with no appreciation for any of the history. It's like a slap in the face....

Traditional New England has sandwich shops and the soda machine but they were Charley's house, jim and patty's place, nextdoor being Jorge's arts and craft shop...and next to that a commons recreational center for renting tools

Now it's dunkin and a vacant building for rent that will be a minimart or a cvs

Last edited by EricS39; 03-28-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,366,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
And Friendly's is the chain Connecticut and Massachusetts residents will wait up to 2-3 hours for that processed burger ....with 40 minute waits to be seated
This never happens, you must be thinking of Georgia or some place down south. I have never sat in a restaurant here for more than 2 hours total; generally any chain restaurant I go to has me wait about 20-30 minutes max for food upon ordering. And fancier restaurants, for that matter.

Chain restaurants also have better food than their counterparts down south, even if it's the same chain. Especially between here and Florida. I have heard varying reasons as to why, but some members of my family can't go to a Dunkin Donuts or Chili's in Florida at all, for example, but either place when they visit here is acceptable.

There's nothing wrong with going to a chain restaurant while also talking about the fancier place around the corner and speaking highly of it. Here's another example: Rustic Oak in North Haven is closing, but used to be right next door to a Friendly's (before that closed). Both were great places with great food. There's nothing wrong with a mix. There is, however, an issue with the perceived pretentiousness of an internet foodie who plays down a chain restaurant they've never been to and claims it's a paradox because everyone should just stop liking what he doesn't like.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM

21,662 posts, read 31,309,130 times
Most people I know despise chain restaurants, and I don't know anyone that would wait 2-3 hours (or even 45 min!) for a Friendly's burger.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM

We waited with in-law family from 1pm to 3:40pm at a Friendly's and they brought out 2 hours later....a burger with lots of pink because they were busy and didn't have time to fully cook it

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,960,188 times
People still go to Friendly's? Some of the worst service I've ever experienced at a restaurant.

Other than stopping at Dunkin Donuts or Mickey D's while on a road trip, I can't remember the last time I went to a chain. Does Pepe's in Danbury count? Even my kids would rather go to a place like Little Pub than a chain.

Edit: I just remembered that Little Pub is a chain too (albeit a local one).

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM

21,662 posts, read 31,309,130 times
Quote:
We waited with in-law family from 1pm to 3:40pm at a Friendly's and they brought out 2 hours later....a burger with lots of pink because they were busy and didn't have time to fully cook it
If you waited for 2 hours and 40 minutes to sit at Friendlys, then I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for you.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 AM

21,838 posts, read 28,214,759 times
Quote:
Well, that was a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut