Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

I discovered roadside farm stands many years ago, back when I lived in Boston and used to ride my bicycle on weekends to less urban environs. I'd stop and buy a tomato and eat it, as is, for a snack. Boston is also where the famous Haymarket is, where you could buy fresh-picked produce from a variety of farmers.

I've always loved eating *fresh* produce, and Connecticut has some pretty awesome Farmers Markets. So I thought I'd remind you all to support local farms whenever it's practical to do so (or just as a treat - it really is a treat). We have an amazing organic farm here on the North Haven/Hamden line, that has a roadside stand outside the farmhouse, and you get greeted usually by their miniature dachshunds. I don't know its name, but it's near where North Haven and Wallingford meet, off I think Upper State Street, or Hartford Turnpike, or Ridge Road. Somewhere "up" between Rte 22 North Haven and Oakdale Theatre Wallingford. BEST PEACHES EVER!

CT NOFA has a listing of organic farmers markets here:
CT NOFA Farmers Markets

But there are some hidden gems in the state, that aren't members of NOFA.

Most CT Farmers Markets open for the season in June, a very few in May, and a couple not til July.

Connecticut also has CSAs - an agricultural version of a food co-op. Anyone who buys (or wish they could buy) lots of produce for big families (or vegetarian households) should definitely look into membership. You can find information about that here:

CT NOFA-Community Supported Agriculture

Note that some CSAs offer grass-fed beef, fresh eggs, honey and even locally-tapped maple syrup.

Anyone else know of some awesome local farms or roadside stands? If you don't know the name or have a link to their site, give a general idea of where they can be found by car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
We go here Grassy Hill Farm - LocalHarvest when they open up. Great place and lots of variety.

Also this one is pretty cool as well : Sherwood Farm :: Home

We also go to some farmers markets that are around on certain days in Milford but I don't know the schedules yet.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
I like: The Robert Treat Farm in Milford Connecticut . Authentic Family Farm and Garden Center . Farm Share Program in Connecticut

Thinking about doing the farm share but it's a lot of produce.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
A friend of mine uses this services and loves it Connecticut (CT) Local Organic Produce Delivery | Vegetables, Fruit, Dairy, Meat, Baked Goods | CT Farm Fresh Express, LLC. Delivery charges range from $6 - $20, based on your zip code. Obviously not a big selection this time of year, but I'm definitely going to give it a try later this spring/summer

Old 05-24-2014, 03:21 PM

North Haven Fairgrounds is host to the North Haven Flea/Farmers' Market, starting this year (today was its inaugural day) and running every weekend for the season!

I went today, was a disappointing turnout but only because of first-day jitters combined with early morning rain that scared people away (including many of the vendors). Tomorrow though, the weather is expected to be MUCH better from the get-go, and they're expecting over 200 vendors including more of the "farmer's market" produce tents!

Today's selection had quite a few soapmakers, for some reason. I picked up a bar, a citrus-sandalwood, that is perched on one of the shelves of this shower-shelf thing I also go at the fairgrounds today. That shower thing was the bargain of the day - only 50 cents for copper-plated steel wire. Rounded sides converging to a decorative ball in the front, two shelves with wire sides, and one soap-shelf, with two hooks for towels (though it is hanging my pocketbook and scarf from it). The shelves are hanging from a hook on the outside wall of my bookcase, and looks pretty spiffy.

Libby's Italian Ice had a table with some of their famous cookies and chocolate-dipped pretzels, DiSorbo's Bakery came with a truck, SpudsStuds had their truck with baked potatoes -n- fixins, a few funky jewelers with sterling and semi-precious stones, several "flea market" tents including one that had a heap of Craftsman tools and tool cabinets - a bunch more vendors including a few "tag sale" tables from homeowners hoping their junk is someone else's treasure (I was tempted - one solid rock-maple magazine table for only $15 looked like it'd be perfect for the bathroom but I'd have to sand and stain it and I wasn't feeling inspired this morning).

I'm definitely going again tomorrow - they waived the $1 admission fee because of the rain this morning (they almost cancelled it), but tomorrow I'm sure they'll be collecting the buck. You get a raffle ticket with your admission, and the money goes to support the local food pantry. Parking is free.

The fairgrounds are right off I-91, exit 12 (Washington Avenue, North Haven). Coming from Hartford toward New Haven, take a right at the end of the exit, and the fairgrounds are just a block up the road. You can see it from the highway before you exit. Coming from New Haven toward Hartford, take a right and it's 3 blocks up the road.

For anyone who thinks they might want to come another weekend and stay for a couple of days, there's a Best Western right across the street.

This is their facebook page, for more info and comments from folks: https://www.facebook.com/NorthHavenFleaAndFarmersMarket

Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Darien opening one up in Good Wives Shopping center. I think I read (or maybe even posted somewhere) end of May?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:00 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
North Haven Fairgrounds is host to the North Haven Flea/Farmers' Market, starting this year (today was its inaugural day) and running every weekend for the season!

I went today, was a disappointing turnout but only because of first-day jitters combined with early morning rain that scared people away (including many of the vendors). Tomorrow though, the weather is expected to be MUCH better from the get-go, and they're expecting over 200 vendors including more of the "farmer's market" produce tents!

Today's selection had quite a few soapmakers, for some reason. I picked up a bar, a citrus-sandalwood, that is perched on one of the shelves of this shower-shelf thing I also go at the fairgrounds today. That shower thing was the bargain of the day - only 50 cents for copper-plated steel wire. Rounded sides converging to a decorative ball in the front, two shelves with wire sides, and one soap-shelf, with two hooks for towels (though it is hanging my pocketbook and scarf from it). The shelves are hanging from a hook on the outside wall of my bookcase, and looks pretty spiffy.

Libby's Italian Ice had a table with some of their famous cookies and chocolate-dipped pretzels, DiSorbo's Bakery came with a truck, SpudsStuds had their truck with baked potatoes -n- fixins, a few funky jewelers with sterling and semi-precious stones, several "flea market" tents including one that had a heap of Craftsman tools and tool cabinets - a bunch more vendors including a few "tag sale" tables from homeowners hoping their junk is someone else's treasure (I was tempted - one solid rock-maple magazine table for only $15 looked like it'd be perfect for the bathroom but I'd have to sand and stain it and I wasn't feeling inspired this morning).

I'm definitely going again tomorrow - they waived the $1 admission fee because of the rain this morning (they almost cancelled it), but tomorrow I'm sure they'll be collecting the buck. You get a raffle ticket with your admission, and the money goes to support the local food pantry. Parking is free.

The fairgrounds are right off I-91, exit 12 (Washington Avenue, North Haven). Coming from Hartford toward New Haven, take a right at the end of the exit, and the fairgrounds are just a block up the road. You can see it from the highway before you exit. Coming from New Haven toward Hartford, take a right and it's 3 blocks up the road.

For anyone who thinks they might want to come another weekend and stay for a couple of days, there's a Best Western right across the street.

This is their facebook page, for more info and comments from folks: https://www.facebook.com/NorthHavenFleaAndFarmersMarket

Oh wow, I didn't know about this. I'll probably get there at some point.

I think I know about the other farm you mentioned too, but for the life of me I can't remember the damn name. edit: Is it up near Antonio's Pizza?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know about this. I'll probably get there at some point.

I think I know about the other farm you mentioned too, but for the life of me I can't remember the damn name. edit: Is it up near Antonio's Pizza?
Sort of, yeah. But on the other side of the road. You know that flea market they have every Saturday in that lot of the old rickety BBQ stand? It's not that far into Wallingford, and when the road forks to I think it's Upper State, you'd continue on the road and NOT fork left to Upper State. Going toward Hamden. It's on the right side of the road up that way somewhere.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM

Update on the North Haven Flea/Farmer's Market:

The farmers aren't ready yet, since crops haven't been harvested due to a late spring. But there was a guy out with a truck filled with plants, including lots of potted herbs and tomatoes and other veggie plants, ready to "de-pot" and put in your garden. They're hoping some of the early harvest stuff will be ready next week.

There were TONS of vendors though today. I picked up some coconut oil/lavender semi-solid body "lotion" (it's more like a solid, but if it gets too warm in the house it'll turn liquid - refrigerating it keeps it from dripping out of the jar) from a woman named Jessa who makes all this stuff from scratch. There's a guy with a truck who binds carpet remnants and sells them cheap (he's in the carpet business professionally and does this on the side). Picked up a mat for the front and back doors, for only $3 each.

There's a tent that has a "Make your own tie-dye" shirts and pillowcases and towels and stuff - called Let Live and Dye (cute huh?). An antiques truck that has a bunch of pretty awesome knicknacks and containers and what-nots. There's the obligatory Pampered Chef and Avon tables, there's a woman called Chi Chi who hand-crochets little dresses and accessories for 18" dolls (like American Girl), really adorable. Lots of hand-crafted higher-end semi-precious stone jewelers who tumble their own stones (Cosmicperception was my favorite). TONS of soap makers - from quality boutique-commercial stuff like ZumZum, to a lady who calls her olive oil soaps "Olive My Skin" (another clever punny name!).

One particularly interesting crafter had benches and stools and step-stools he made out of solid slabs of wood from trees he chopped down on his own property. Very creative, beautiful and artistic functioning pieces.

Lots of food - the Cupcake Chick was there today, and Crazy Lady Bakery came with more of their awesome biscottis. Plus the Spud Stud truck, Christiano's, and some others too. I didn't see DiSorbo's today but they were there last week. I might've just missed noticing their catering truck.

Lots of knicknacks and chatchkas for the flea-market tables, some of the stuff you'd typically expect, and some not-so-hidden treasures.

They're expecting even more tomorrow. The front parking lot was completely filled, it was starting to spill over to the side lot when I left. I imagine tomorrow they'll probably have to extend to the back lot. Hopefully we'll see some herb sellers - I know I've already harvested some of my oregano and the winter savory is just about ready to start cutting. I don't have a table at the market though.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Update on the North Haven Flea/Farmer's Market:

The farmers aren't ready yet, since crops haven't been harvested due to a late spring. But there was a guy out with a truck filled with plants, including lots of potted herbs and tomatoes and other veggie plants, ready to "de-pot" and put in your garden. They're hoping some of the early harvest stuff will be ready next week.

There were TONS of vendors though today. I picked up some coconut oil/lavender semi-solid body "lotion" (it's more like a solid, but if it gets too warm in the house it'll turn liquid - refrigerating it keeps it from dripping out of the jar) from a woman named Jessa who makes all this stuff from scratch. There's a guy with a truck who binds carpet remnants and sells them cheap (he's in the carpet business professionally and does this on the side). Picked up a mat for the front and back doors, for only $3 each.

There's a tent that has a "Make your own tie-dye" shirts and pillowcases and towels and stuff - called Let Live and Dye (cute huh?). An antiques truck that has a bunch of pretty awesome knicknacks and containers and what-nots. There's the obligatory Pampered Chef and Avon tables, there's a woman called Chi Chi who hand-crochets little dresses and accessories for 18" dolls (like American Girl), really adorable. Lots of hand-crafted higher-end semi-precious stone jewelers who tumble their own stones (Cosmicperception was my favorite). TONS of soap makers - from quality boutique-commercial stuff like ZumZum, to a lady who calls her olive oil soaps "Olive My Skin" (another clever punny name!).

One particularly interesting crafter had benches and stools and step-stools he made out of solid slabs of wood from trees he chopped down on his own property. Very creative, beautiful and artistic functioning pieces.

Lots of food - the Cupcake Chick was there today, and Crazy Lady Bakery came with more of their awesome biscottis. Plus the Spud Stud truck, Christiano's, and some others too. I didn't see DiSorbo's today but they were there last week. I might've just missed noticing their catering truck.

Lots of knicknacks and chatchkas for the flea-market tables, some of the stuff you'd typically expect, and some not-so-hidden treasures.

They're expecting even more tomorrow. The front parking lot was completely filled, it was starting to spill over to the side lot when I left. I imagine tomorrow they'll probably have to extend to the back lot. Hopefully we'll see some herb sellers - I know I've already harvested some of my oregano and the winter savory is just about ready to start cutting. I don't have a table at the market though.
This sounds like a lot of fun. The wife and I are headed there tomorrow mid morning. Looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut