Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:28 AM

18 posts, read 40,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
Probably the most asked question here, what is your rent budget? Have you though about the gas money as well?
Yup, my salary is kind of rich for average people so my budget could rise probably up to $850,000-$900,000 for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You'll probably be better off living closer to Hartford, and enjoying the nightlife in New Haven on weekends.

At Fair Haven Heights, you're looking at anywhere between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on the time of day, which highway you start on (I-91 vs I-95), construction, weather, and accidents. That's in each direction.

You'll be dealing with two different rush-hours, because each is a major city in the state, each with two Interstates crossing each other (In Hartford, it's I-91 and I-84. In New Haven, it's I-95 and I-95).

Doing that 5 days/week, is expensive, time-consuming, and exhausting. By the time the weekend rolls around, you'd be too drained to do much "nightlife" stuff.

If you're closer to Hartford - maybe Rocky Hill, Middletown, some parts of Meriden, Wallingford - you'd get the best of both. Usually less than 1/2 hour to and from work, and between 10 and 25 minutes to downtown New Haven for your nightlife, and another 10 minutes to get past New Haven to the Savin Rock area in West Haven/Milford.
Hi see above form my quote to Stlyo, I would probably catch I-91 N from Quinnipiac Meadows and go from there. I know about I-95, I-91, and I-91, I-84. I know about these. To be honest I am in great shape and really love to drive, so I don't think I will get too tired. The thing is I really want to be on coastal connecticut because I want to let my kids go to the beach and maybe bike around to different parts of the city. New Haven is much more of a kids city than Hartford.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frysk View Post
3 months ago I lost my job, and I just found a new one in Hartford. I will have to move to CT for that.

Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990
Where are you guys from anyways?

Quote:
Plainfield, CT
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post33418564

Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990
Where are you guys from anyways?

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...l#post33418564
I lived in West Stockbridge, MA before I moved if thats what your asking. Yup I was born in plainfield, ct. Why are you asking that though, curious? Kind of off topic.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Yup, my salary is kind of rich for average people so my budget could rise probably up to $850,000-$900,000 for a house.
The absolute last place you want to be is Quinnipiac Meadows. That's also known as Bishop Woods, and includes Eastern Circle - which - although completely rehabilitated, still has gang activity and drug dealers mixed among the other Section 8 folks.

It's also one of the MOST difficult places to live if you want to get to the highway; you'd have to take a LEFT onto route 80 during rush hour to get to I-91. Just that one 20-block drive can take over 20 minutes. I used to live up the street off Rte 80 in Foxon, and it was craptastically lousy traffic back then - over 10 years ago. I've totally given up on even TRYING to drive to Aldi's now, which is on Rte 80, from my home in North Haven, because having to deal with Rte 80 traffic along that stretch is just too frustrating. And that's not even during rush hour. That's just a typical Sunday afternoon.

The houses are older - which can be nice, but most of them are also in disrepair. There are no big lots of land there other than gas marshes, there's Mt. Trashmore, which used to be a city dump so you have to deal with the stench in the summer. Public Works service to that area is abysmal - good luck getting a pothole fixed any time this decade. Taxes in that area are sky-high because it's New Haven.

For someone with your budget, almost any town OTHER than New Haven will be better for you.

Also, what map are you looking at? You're describing neighborhoods and districts, not towns. Most of New Haven will be inferior for family living.

Oh and youre reference to QM and Fair Haven Heights being quieter - no. Just not even a little no. Solidly planted in reality no. It's a CITY, and your house will be in spitting distance to your neighbor, and your own house will more likely be a 2-family house than a single-family house, which means you get stuck with whoever lives on the other side of your wall or worse - over your head.

In addition, you'll be hard pressed to find ANY home in QM or Fair Haven Heights that can *comfortably* accommodate two adults and six children.

As for walkability: not for 6 kids, unless you don't mind them walking over needles and used condoms on the road. You can't just walk along Rte 1. I mean you can, but it's strip malls. It's not "family outing walking." Any parks in the areas you're describing, you'd want to be FAR away from before it got dark because it's DANGEROUS at night. During the day it's not so dangerous - but at night, the addicts come out to play.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 AM

713 posts, read 760,849 times
OP, do you have 6 kids or 8 kids? LOL.

That's a lot of kids to have time for nightlife. LOL.

Things are getting interesting. LOL.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The absolute last place you want to be is Quinnipiac Meadows. That's also known as Bishop Woods, and includes Eastern Circle - which - although completely rehabilitated, still has gang activity and drug dealers mixed among the other Section 8 folks.

It's also one of the MOST difficult places to live if you want to get to the highway; you'd have to take a LEFT onto route 80 during rush hour to get to I-91. Just that one 20-block drive can take over 20 minutes. I used to live up the street off Rte 80 in Foxon, and it was craptastically lousy traffic back then - over 10 years ago. I've totally given up on even TRYING to drive to Aldi's now, which is on Rte 80, from my home in North Haven, because having to deal with Rte 80 traffic along that stretch is just too frustrating. And that's not even during rush hour. That's just a typical Sunday afternoon.

The houses are older - which can be nice, but most of them are also in disrepair. There are no big lots of land there other than gas marshes, there's Mt. Trashmore, which used to be a city dump so you have to deal with the stench in the summer. Public Works service to that area is abysmal - good luck getting a pothole fixed any time this decade. Taxes in that area are sky-high because it's New Haven.

For someone with your budget, almost any town OTHER than New Haven will be better for you.

Also, what map are you looking at? You're describing neighborhoods and districts, not towns. Most of New Haven will be inferior for family living.

Oh and youre reference to QM and Fair Haven Heights being quieter - no. Just not even a little no. Solidly planted in reality no. It's a CITY, and your house will be in spitting distance to your neighbor, and your own house will more likely be a 2-family house than a single-family house, which means you get stuck with whoever lives on the other side of your wall or worse - over your head.

In addition, you'll be hard pressed to find ANY home in QM or Fair Haven Heights that can *comfortably* accommodate two adults and six children.

As for walkability: not for 6 kids, unless you don't mind them walking over needles and used condoms on the road. You can't just walk along Rte 1. I mean you can, but it's strip malls. It's not "family outing walking." Any parks in the areas you're describing, you'd want to be FAR away from before it got dark because it's DANGEROUS at night. During the day it's not so dangerous - but at night, the addicts come out to play.
What about near the lighthouse park and morris cove? Many people on other forums recommend that area.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewWH View Post
So 2 months ago you had 8 kids and now you have 6. 2 died?

2 months ago you said you lived in Plainfield ct.

I say this is a joke/ fake post. Man, checking a posters history tells a lot .

/end
lol there is a difference between lived and from, I said I was from Plainfield. And yes 2 kids died because I had a car accident.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frysk
Stratford CT Resident, I would like to ask why do you always like to check peoples previous posts and then post something about it in the forum that is still going.

I have seen you do this to 5 other people and its getting really annoying, not just to me, but to everyone I have seen you do it to, starts a pool argument, etc.

Also thats kind of against the rules because your going off topic, like when you asked about where I am from, not relevant, if you are curious about that or think something has gone wrong, PM me about it and please don't put that in the forums.

When you link to previous forums it makes everyone on the forum go to the previous one and check it. Its really annoying, so could you please tell me why you like to do this, and also please quit it.
It looks like you have quite a bit of time on your hands if you've seen me do "this" to 5 other people.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It looks like you have quite a bit of time on your hands if you've seen me do "this" to 5 other people.
Well I do have time. Also again instead of responding to my message you post it in the forum, not relevant. Too much off topic I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut