Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:31 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times

Advertisements

Why is the northeast so much higher in living costs? Would it be cheaper if it were more conservative then liberal?

Not to turn this into a political dispute but having been raised up north then my parents moving me south when I was younger, my wife and I do rather well in our jobs with pay and all, but our cost of living is much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Why is the northeast so much higher in living costs? Would it be cheaper if it were more conservative then liberal?

Not to turn this into a political dispute but having been raised up north then my parents moving me south when I was younger, my wife and I do rather well in our jobs with pay and all, but our cost of living is much lower.
Please don't go there! LOL! I think we can just simply agree that it costs more to live in this part of the country than it does in other parts because it just is what it is. The End. Political discussion threads have a habit of getting really ugly (and long winded) here

Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Actually if the figures in this post are true, and if hartfordrenter is married with kids, $175k is not a whole lot of of money for a family of 3 (minimum?) to live off of. Other parts of the country would he be considered "rich"? Sure, possibly. But here in the northeast with its high cost of living? I really don't think so. Solid upper end middle class for sure, but not rich at all in my opinion. And not selfish either if he can make his dollars stretch a little more somewhere else. You seem quick to classify and categorize people. It's a quite divisive approach I think...
Quote:
Well the have nots can kiss my butt I'll keep my 15K thank you!
Your dollars can always stretch more somewhere else-- No argument from me. If you make 175K a year-- if that's even true-- you are VERY fortunate. I am not sure this type of attitude reflects a level of humility-- or even kindness-- that people should show towards others.

It's cold, and pretty heartless.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 PM

I'm sure they do but honestly I was curious in why there is so much of a price difference.

The south has as many good colleges as the north, they're better at football, and in rural Virginia, we're my wife and I reside we bought in 102k in earnings.

Our house is 3 bedroom, hardwood floors, fire place, full size basement, I'll admit unfinished, we pay 950 a month.

I'm not trying to cause a political fight, I was really just curious if anyone else had thought the same thing.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Supply and demand.

There is little room to expand, and large aggregate demand to live here. This drives up prices.

A lot of people a lot of places draw good salaries. The average person here, makes over 30% more than the average person in Texas...

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The south has as many good colleges as the north, they're better at football, and in rural Virginia, we're my wife and I reside we bought in 102k in earnings.
Per capita this really isn't true. Almost all of the elite colleges in the country are in the Northeast or California. (Yes, there are good colleges all over, but no one can deny the concentration of them up north).

As far as football... Who cares? It's apparant the NFL is a systematic crime ring that abuses it's players... and with what we know about concussions and brain damage I'd just assume no one I love plays.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM

Makes sense

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Your dollars can always stretch more somewhere else-- No argument from me. If you make 175K a year-- if that's even true-- you are VERY fortunate. I am not sure this type of attitude reflects a level of humility-- or even kindness-- that people should show towards others.

It's cold, and pretty heartless.
But not indicative of conservatives in general. My family and I lead a very (fiscally) conservative lifestyle. We are comfortable middle-classers as well. If we were willing to move far away from friends and family to save some money, we would. But we're not willing, and so we won't. And (by choice) we're stuck here for the long haul, paying for things we don't always agree we should have to. I personally would never say that that others should "kiss my butt" though. Your broad brush stroke statement lumped my personal philosophy into something ugly, and I don't think that's fair. None of our personal opinions (especially here) should ever be used in a way to diminish another's. Just my opinion though. Guess I'm just absolutely sick to my stomach over the divisive bullsh*t going on lately (not on city data, in the US in general Lol!) Peace.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM

Actually there is 2 Ivy League schools in the south, Duke and Vanderbilt.

Virginia Tech is probably one if the best engineering schools and the University of Virginia is considered somewhat prestigious due to it's founder being Thomas Jefferson. The College of Williams and Mary carries some clout as well.

Your football schools are Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson, Auburn, FSU, Georgia Bulldogs, University of Florida, Texas A&M.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Actually there is 2 Ivy League schools in the south, Duke and Vanderbilt.

Virginia Tech is probably one if the best engineering schools and the University of Virginia is considered somewhat prestigious due to it's founder being Thomas Jefferson. The College of Williams and Mary carries some clout as well.

Your football schools are Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson, Auburn, FSU, Georgia Bulldogs, University of Florida, Texas A&M.
Nope, the ivy league schools are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, and uPenn

Last edited by Lalalally; 05-31-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut