Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:10 PM

39 posts, read 47,409 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my first post - so I apologize if this is not the right place.

I might be moving to Stamford and I am have been reading this forum and other online resources to figure out what area would be ideal. However, I decided to open a new thread as I didn't find a good answer.

I am looking for for a 1 bedroom apartment in one of the new buildings there. I am willing to pay at most $1900/2000 +/- some margin. I like several buildings but I always find people complaining from either management or insects/noise etc.

Which of these new apartment buildings are the best? Which neighborhoods should I consider? I obviously care about safety, proximity to the train station etc - however, I might have a car so being 10 minutes drive away from a restaurant or cinema is not going to be a problem. I see a lot of the new buildings are in the downtown area but there are some on the other side of the train station (for example 111 Harbor Point).

Any thoughts/ pieces of advice are highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,906 times
You won't find something particularly nice for your budget in Stamford.

My advice--unless you have the opportunity of a lifetime in Stamford or NYC, stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
Hi all, my first post - so I apologize if this is not the right place.

I might be moving to Stamford and I am have been reading this forum and other online resources to figure out what area would be ideal. However, I decided to open a new thread as I didn't find a good answer.

I am looking for for a 1 bedroom apartment in one of the new buildings there. I am willing to pay at most $1900/2000 +/- some margin. I like several buildings but I always find people complaining from either management or insects/noise etc.

Which of these new apartment buildings are the best? Which neighborhoods should I consider? I obviously care about safety, proximity to the train station etc - however, I might have a car so being 10 minutes drive away from a restaurant or cinema is not going to be a problem. I see a lot of the new buildings are in the downtown area but there are some on the other side of the train station (for example 111 Harbor Point).

Any thoughts/ pieces of advice are highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

My advice--unless you have the opportunity of a lifetime in Stamford or NYC, stay away.
How much would I have to pay for a good 1br? I am looking on different websites and most of the 1br are between 1600 and 2300 so I don't understand why I wont be able to find anything good for $2000? I already live in NYC anyways.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:45 PM

You can find something in your range..but it will be small and not particularly modern.

For something modern...1-br's at the Avalon complexes go for like 2300+ (some are as high as 3,000 I believe), and are 800 sq. ft. or so. The Avalon complexes arent even that nice (cheap finishings, typical apartment kitchens, and very overcrowded).

I'm sure there's nicer to be found within the city...but I'm equally sure they are even more astronomically priced.

Can't fathom blowing $2k+ on rent every month.

Quote:
How much would I have to pay for a good 1br? I am looking on different websites and most of the 1br are between 1600 and 2300 so I don't understand why I wont be able to find anything good for $2000? I already live in NYC anyways.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You can find something in your range..but it will be small and not particularly modern.

For something modern...1-br's at the Avalon complexes go for like 2300+ (some are as high as 3,000 I believe), and are 800 sq. ft. or so. The Avalon complexes arent even that nice (cheap finishings, typical apartment kitchens, and very overcrowded).

I'm sure there's nicer to be found within the city...but I'm equally sure they are even more astronomically priced.

Can't fathom blowing $2k+ on rent every month.
OK, I am looking here: 27 Apartments for Rent in , - Apartments.com

Most of these satisfy my criteria of ~$2000 for 1br, what am I missing?

Generally, what are the better areas of Stamford? Is South End as safe/good as Downtown?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:

Generally, what are the better areas of Stamford? Is South End as safe/good as Downtown?
It has a few pockets of not so desirable

Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM

3,351 posts, read 4,172,374 times
Quote:

How's the job scene in Tolland? Stamford is a great place for professionals. Lots of high paying jobs and a good social scene.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM

Safety isnt really the issue. It's actually a very safe city. The issues are that is mega-congested, snobby, and overpriced.

Quote:

Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Can you give me an idea which are the desirable vs the not so desirable ones? I live in NYC and I am trying to do as much research as I can before I go and see everything in person? For example how do I compare Stamford Apartments in Connecticut | AVA Stamford
Home | 75 Tresser Stamford CT Apartments
Apartment Homes for Rent in Stamford CT | The Key at Yale and Towne
Apartments for Rent in Stamford, CT | 111 Harbor Point - Home
Apartments for Rent in Stamford CT | Postmark Apartments

Thanks a lot!

PS the reason I might be moving is because I might have a job not the other way around - thanks again!

Last edited by The Macallan; 07-26-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM

It's pretty good in Hartford. Tolland is primarily a bedroom community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
How's the job scene in Tolland? Stamford is a great place for professionals. Lots of high paying jobs and a good social scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut