Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,205,840 times

Advertisements

So, because they don't want me to leave, they offered me $5000 more a year (to help cover gas) and they said if I want to change my hours to avoid any traffic if that is possible, they would do that. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much easier if they didn't like me.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
So, because they don't want me to leave, they offered me $5000 more a year (to help cover gas) and they said if I want to change my hours to avoid any traffic if that is possible, they would do that. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much easier if they didn't like me.......
If I could offer advice (and my no means does it mean it will work for you). I was in the same situation a couple years back. I gave my two week notice and they offered me $10k more a year which was more than I would be making at the new job. I was seriously considering it and actually spoke with my MBA professor (who owned a large HR firm). She adviced me to NOT take the offer because you already showed disinterest in the current company and if ever they are in a pinch, you would be the first one they look at to get rid of. In that case you might not have something else lined up and really SOL.

my $0.2.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
because you already showed disinterest in the current company and if ever they are in a pinch, you would be the first one they look at to get rid of. In that case you might not have something else lined up and really SOL.

my $0.2.
Yep, I did think of that scenario. I think in a lot of businesses that is true or depending on the person. And I am not trying to toot my own horn so please don't take this like I am, but I am a large part of why we are successful day by day here and I am not expendable. My boss and the General Manager and I are all in good standing with each other and they were both generally upset by my news......really upset......

I also(when I was younger)took a job, gave 2 weeks and they offered more money and I stayed and I was there for many years. Is it a good thing to do? No......and I certainly don't want to do that to anyone either but when you are comfortable and they offer more, it really messes your head up.

They also placed ads this morning to replace 2 of the thieves.....finally........

Ugh again..........................

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,050 times
Quote:
Yep, I did think of that scenario. I think in a lot of businesses that is true or depending on the person. And I am not trying to toot my own horn so please don't take this like I am, but I am a large part of why we are successful day by day here and I am not expendable. My boss and the General Manager and I are all in good standing with each other and they were both generally upset by my news......really upset......

I also(when I was younger)took a job, gave 2 weeks and they offered more money and I stayed and I was there for many years. Is it a good thing to do? No......and I certainly don't want to do that to anyone either but when you are comfortable and they offer more, it really messes your head up.

They also placed ads this morning to replace 2 of the thieves.....finally........

First my congrats on your new job (as I've been reading this thread from its inception) and wholeheartedly agree with Mr_250 to NO or I say NEVER take a counteroffer to stay with any employer you've been employed at after giving your leaving notice.

Let me stress: I say that you need to focus on why you looked to move on and that's to get many hours per week of your life back that you would never ever get back in one's "x" amount of life/living hours on this earth hopefully in great health and prosperity.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
First my congrats on your new job (as I've been reading this thread from its inception) and wholeheartedly agree with Mr_250 to NO or I say NEVER take a counteroffer to stay with any employer you've been employed at after giving your leaving notice.

Let me stress: I say that you need to focus on why you looked to move on and that's to get many hours per week of your life back that you would never ever get back in one's "x" amount of life/living hours on this earth hopefully in great health and prosperity.

Thanks....and yes, I am still sticking my original plan to move on. My other reservation is that my wife is going to quit her job too and then start looking near us too. That holds me back slightly to lose any other income for whatever time it takes for her to find work.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks....and yes, I am still sticking my original plan to move on. My other reservation is that my wife is going to quit her job too and then start looking near us too. That holds me back slightly to lose any other income for whatever time it takes for her to find work.
Hmmmmm...., can you make it on the new income bracket till your wife secures a new job? I hope so.

Trouble is that it's too late to reverse your decision(s) if you wanted to anyway as the new job acceptance and notice respectfully has already been done.

Hopefully your wife will be able to secure work soon enough then all will fall into a greater place for you both.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hmmmmm...., can you make it on the new income bracket till your wife secures a new job? I hope so.

Trouble is that it's too late to reverse your decision(s) if you wanted to anyway as the new job acceptance and notice respectfully has already been done.

Hopefully your wife will be able to secure work soon enough then all will fall into a greater place for you both.

I think so, we crunched numbers. She is more positive than I tend to be with things. We are not over spenders and live within our means and we have decent amount in savings.
She is currently a paralegal and also a former pre school teacher before that(private Montessori schools, not public) so there should be something. She thinks I should do this so it gives her the kick she needs to leave before she gets too complacent where she is. Her firm that she works at(near my current job) recently partnered with a firm in the city so she went from one boss to 14 and other paralegals. And lawyers can be a real pain. So now there is extra time and money for train rides, she has to do the city office 3 times a week. She rides in with me in the car in the morning so she can take the train from scarsdale to grand central. Less money and travel time that way. Yes, our situation sucks.

Then when we can have a better life if everything plays out correctly.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I think so, we crunched numbers. She is more positive than I tend to be with things. We are not over spenders and live within our means and we have decent amount in savings.
She is currently a paralegal and also a former pre school teacher before that(private Montessori schools, not public) so there should be something. She thinks I should do this so it gives her the kick she needs to leave before she gets too complacent where she is. Her firm that she works at(near my current job) recently partnered with a firm in the city so she went from one boss to 14 and other paralegals. And lawyers can be a real pain. So now there is extra time and money for train rides, she has to do the city office 3 times a week. She rides in with me in the car in the morning so she can take the train from scarsdale to grand central. Less money and travel time that way. Yes, our situation sucks.

Then when we can have a better life if everything plays out correctly.
I remember your earlier post mentioning your wife's increase in "reporting to" people - yes you both need to do this as your QOL need of sizable improvement is in the balance.

You'll both be fine in the end!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I remember your earlier post mentioning your wife's increase in "reporting to" people !

Not that she has a major problem wit that, she is great at what she does and friendly.....it's just lawyers can be really crazy.....plus the whole merger thing was a surprise thrown to her. She has been there 6 years and he kept this a secret until it went through.
She hates the train, the crowds and the city. Once this was happened, she was along for the ride and was never going to keep it permanent. So that's why she tells me not to worry, it's time for a change.

Thanks again for the help and the kick in the right direction.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Quote:

Go. Don't look back. Your loyalty will always be questioned if you stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut