Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 9,938 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is constantly shooting off fireworks that are really loud and illegal. I have called the police two times about it , and they really don't do anything. One time they said if he did it again to call and they would give him a warning, well two weeks later he did more and I called and they didn't do anything but talk to him, I would't mind one or two but this goes on all day. I have horse that really get upset, and want to know if there is anything that can be done about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
I really sympathize with this as those a___les have nothing better to do than disrespect the law and the residents & pets of the area. I finally controlled my area a bit better by not only leaving them a letter regarding the law but also calling the cops.

You tell the cops ITS A STATE AND FEDERAL LAW. Let them know that guy is storing explosives on his property which is illegal in so many ways.

Here's the official letter by the state. Only the Sparklers and Fountains found at stores are legal to light in CT.. AND IT'S NOT THE 4TH OF JULY ANYMORE!!!

---------------------------

Office of State Fire Marshal

Fireworks - Illegal in Connecticut

ALL FIREWORKS (with the exception of sparklers) ARE ILLEGAL in Connecticut and may NOT be sold, purchased or used, with the EXCEPTION of regulated fireworks displays by state licensed, professional pyrotechnicians at sites which have been approved by state and local officials. Fireworks are defined by law as "any combustible or explosive composition prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation." Novelties, and trick noise makers such as smoke bombs, party poppers and snappers and the "snake", and are banned by Connecticut General Statute 29-357.

Effective June 1, 2000, Public Act 00-198 allows any person who is sixteen years of age or older to buy, sell and use sparklers of not more than one hundred grams of pyrotechnic mixture which are non-explosive and non-aerial.

PA-06-177 added new subdivisions to CGS 29-357 relating to the some compounds that are prohibited in sparklers and fountians as well as adding a total pyrotechnic composition if more than one fountian is mounted on a common base. Public Act 06-177 also added Fountians to this category and provided definitions for 'sparklers' and 'fountians' that are found in CGS 29-356.

Larger so-called "fire crackers" are actually explosive devices which are banned by both state and federal law. They include M-80’s, M-100’s, M-250’s and larger, cherry bombs, quarter sticks, block busters and other similar devices. Possession of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 29-348, Illegal Possession of Explosives; manufacture of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 53-80a., Manufacture of Bombs. The only exceptions to the fireworks statute are paper caps which contain less than .025 grains of explosive material.

Transportation to Connecticut of fireworks which have been privately purchased out-of-state is illegal. The fine for violation of transportation regulations is not more than $1,000 for a first offense; persons found guilty of subsequent offenses will be fined not less than $1,000 and not more than $2,000, or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. If injury or death results from such violation, the fine shall be not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both. To order and purchase fireworks by mail is illegal in Connecticut.

The penalty for illegal possession of explosives, CGS 29-348, is a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than 10 years, or both for each offense.

Violation of CGS 53-80a (manufacture of bombs) is a Class B felony; if a fire caused by fireworks is determined to be arson, first degree (CGS 53a-111), it is a Class A felony; 53a-112 arson second degree, Class B felony; arson, third degree, Class C felony; or if such a fire is determined to be reckless burning, (53a-114), it is a Class D felony.

The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted at a state approved site by state-licensed pyro-technicians.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4200&q=493754

Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
OMG I wonder if we live near each other. I am also in Marlborough and hear fireworks from a bit of a distance but enough to make my dog FREAK out. This happens several times a week, all summer long. If I had any idea where it came from, I would absolutely be on the phone with the police as many times as it took. Also, the Marlborough Resident State Troopers have a Facebook page. I bet if you post something on there, other people would chime in and agree since it is an ongoing issue. Sometimes making things a little more public gets stuff done! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Conne...55039901344504

Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
enough to make my dog FREAK out.
And this is why I became pro active about it. Neighbors dog was hospitalized and As mine got older it looked like she had a stroke one time and trembling like a heart attack or seizure was happening became non responsive.

Now she knows to come downstairs near the dryer with me if they go off. And yes... that's where we spend a couple hours during the towns lighting on the 4th.

Print and pass out the letters and stay on top of the cops. Drive to the location setting them off and give an exact address to the cops. Sometimes it's a matter of awareness for them. They don't hear enough about it on the news. But if you search for CT stories you will see State Troopers issued a message regarding it and local areas caught and inspected some users.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 AM

I live on Saner Rd in Marlborough, The fireworks are coming from my neighbor on 39 Chapman Rd. There is no doubt as I can see him set them off and he does not care about my animals or my horses. Any help would be appreciated. He actually told the police that he is having another big party on Aug. 30th and I guess he will be setting them off again.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
stay on top of the cops. Drive to the location setting them off and give an exact address to the cops. Sometimes it's a matter of awareness for them.
I agree. Tell the police about his party (with specific address) so they will keep an eye out on 8/30. Keep telling the police about your neighbors antics as they happen, post about it on their Facebook page, and keep making noise (figuratively, of course)! As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If complaints keep rolling in they won't be able to just talk to him. They will have to start issuing formal warnings and tickets.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 PM

My neighbor started shooting off fireworks again tonight and I called the state police and they said what he was doing was legal when I looked up the statutes of illegal fireworks . I told them what he is doing is illegal and they said they could not help me

Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember77 View Post
My neighbor started shooting off fireworks again tonight and I called the state police and they said what he was doing was legal when I looked up the statutes of illegal fireworks . I told them what he is doing is illegal and they said they could not help me
State police??? They don't deal with local situations. Call the city police department. Tell them he is storing explosives and lighting aerial fireworks right now.

If they don't show up you gotta leave a printed letter of the law in the box.

Have you tried to talk to them directly? Then again an invelant like that might not understand

Horrible. Sorry about this. I hope the animals arent getting too depressed from the situation. Living in fear is NOT something an animal or human should deal with.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
State police??? They don't deal with local situations. Call the city police department. Tell them he is storing explosives and lighting aerial fireworks right now.
In Marlborough our local police are the state police...Resident State Troopers. Did you call the local (295-XXXX) number for the Resident Trooper's office vs. calling the regional Troop K barracks in Colchester? I can't imagine they would blatantly disregard an illegal act. If that's the case, I would have been asking for names of who I spoke to and working my way up the food chain.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM

It seems that he is using some kind of device that blows up Gunpowder or something and it is not illegal so the police say. I guess it is a way to be irritating and not get in trouble, I just can't understand if he does this everyday and does sound like very loud fireworks that they can''t do something. They say he cannot do it after dark, which does not help much. But thanks for your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut