Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Customer service at Sikorsky requires BA/BS degree lol... oh brother. Love the effects of academic inflation lol
They "sound" snobbish don't they with their degree requirement for that job. Sure why not "finish the job" and require a Masters while they're at it. Wonder what type of compensation package was for that steeper education requirement?

Did you try employment agencies? Maybe a temp to perm position?

I'm sought of in the same boat as you but instead don't know where I'll wind up yet.

You might be moving to NJ instead but don't realize it yet. Okay j/k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
What can I say? Up here in New England, we like our civilians to have an education, lol!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
What can I say? Up here in New England, we like our civilians to have an education, lol!
About 15 or so years ago there were many menial jobs that paid a tad over minimum wage that required a bachelors.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I have a phone interview with a company in Clinton, on Monday. Other than that, I agree with the premise of this thread. There's barely ANYTHING to apply to. It's not what it used to be even just a few years ago. I pretty much gave up on Hartford County at this point. I am working with a recruiter and he said it's stagnant in that area lately (for corporate tax accountants, anyway). There are opportunities in Fairfield County, which I'm trying to leave anyway. New Haven County has virtually nothing, and forget about New London County. It's ridiculous. It's forcing me to start looking out of state. In fact, I was contacted by a recruiter for a job in a decent suburb of Detroit that pays HIGHER than what I make now in FFC, and it would be a career promotion as well. Relocation costs are fully covered. And 10% travel to auto companies around the world sounds exciting. I might actually proceed with it. Direct flights to BDL to visit family often is a huge plus and the flight time is about the same as it would take for me to DRIVE up to Granby anyway. And the cost of housing is like 25% of the cost it is here in FFC. I could buy TWO houses. And living in a metro area of 4.3 million people would be beneficial in terms of dating opportunities. So yeah, I'm thinking about it. Also applied to a job in Buffalo that seems to be something I would be extremely successful at. The only things I would have to get used to is Midwestern culture and flat terrain. Kinda scary, but oh well.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Right and I see what you're saying... but if you're going to move the goalpost so far as to have a simple CS job require a bachelors degree, you are effectively devaluing everyone's degrees.

I've seen a lot of it too in the last 10 or so years (I'm not that old so just work with me lol). I've never had what I consider to be a "college-level" job and yet I seem to come across more than a handful of people with degrees in something or another thing. Do you really need a college degree to put in orders over the phone? I think not!

It's truly sad when I find more and more people have these degrees and are almost no better off than the people without the degrees. I want to advance past my associates... but I don't want to put myself in a position where I owe a ton of money to school and get nowhere with my career in the end...

Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM

Alright so I've been getting lots of support from friends and family, with them linking me to job openings they come across (in addition to my own searching of course).

My lease is up in February and I'm going to see if worst case scenario we can do a very temporary month-to-month because Feb in CT would suck to move lol. Even if I can push it to April I would be much better off I think. My girlfriend and I are kind of contemplating whether moving our stuff is worth it or not and personally I'm not sure... We have the two scooters which are 150cc and $3,500 a piece... but our furniture is all IKEA stuff.

I mean, we COULD sell everything -- but we would definitely need to sell the bikes as well unless I can find cheap transportation. I'd really love to just pack the car with whatever we can and hit the gas, but I'm not sure we could fit everything even at minimum in our Honda Civic... her clothes alone would pack the back seat.

Have any of you used a container service or any other moving service that you would recommend?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Silly degrees, about the only thing you need a degree for is becoming a doctor or surgeon. You can study law but not get a job when you graduate.

Basically the politicians, colleges, and corporations are all in bed with each other, they figured out how to capitalize on screwing people over with outlandish tuition fees and wonder why the millennials are lazy. The reason why is because instead of allowing people to earn their credentials, now you can simply go to college and buy them.

A 2.0 GPA will get you a cap, gown, and a piece of paper. It will also get you into excessive debt.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
I mean think about it guys and girls, the reason why apprenticeship programs no longer exists is because those programs were free educations. Apprenticeship became internship as to force free labor.

If we bought back apprenticeship programs and trained our kids for jobs that actually exist, then the dean of students at liberal arts university couldn't afford the bimmer and country club that ain't really country membership. The football coaches couldn't get their 2.5 million a year salaries, tuitions would actually have to come down in order to create a demand, and in turn college is now an affordable honest institution.

But we can't have any of that, cause in America its all sbout debts and loans so the banks get richer and you become poorer.

A college degree is one of the most oversold products in the United States. It's a big investment with no guarantee of return. And what's worse, college has become so brainwashing that the for profit schools border predatory lending because they seek out the less affluent crowd and those folks willingly sign up because they've been told that with a degree their lives will change. College is one of the biggest scams going.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
There's an element of truth in what you wrote, but I would add.

Current generation was told/encouraged not to get a job where you would get your hands dirty. How many fathers who were plumbers encouraged their kids to do the same thing? Get an office job with air conditioning instead. My own uncle gave me this line and he was a roofer.

Now everyone is a white collar worker and the powers that be are eliminating those jobs. Ironic since the trade type jobs still exist and are somewhat in demand. After the current tradesmen retire who will be ready to fill the void? It will be the immigrants (legal & illegal) that's who. Maybe all the laid off white collar workers can do the housekeeping and landscaping.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 AM

So my dad told me that I should probably just sell what I can and throw the scooters onto a cargo trailer after installing a hitch on my 2012 Honda Civic. I thought this might be okay until I read that the car is only rated at 1,000lbs and that exceeding that will void my warranty. I also took a look at some forums on civics and most people are saying that it's simply a bad idea for long distance... which puts me back at square 1 unfortunately.

It looks like I might need to sell our bikes and buy new ones later, idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut