Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM

287 posts, read 623,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can hear the girl above me having full conversations (almost every word) and I can hear her phone vibrate and ring. Also, the girl on the unit to the side frequently bangs the wall VERY hard to the point that my pictures hanging on the wall shake a bit. She does that for the STUPIDEST things, for example, when I push in the drawer on my vanity, or close the door in the bathroom shut. Or when I use my electric shaver, etc. She does this at 10:30 pm, as if its very late.

So, I'm hoping to god that my next place won't be this way.
Maybe that's her boyfriend banging? In all seriousness, most apartments have this problem. One of the things about living in a city.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:02 PM

287 posts, read 623,649 times
Quote:

List of towns that I can't stand in FFC:

Wilton - families and rich people
Don't forget Wilton's street signs.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
How in the world can you not be happy making 75k a year? Hell I own a house and only make 50,000 but I don't find the most expensive to call home either.

I'm on your side cause I've been in dark places before as well however you are an example of how money can buy you many things except happiness.

I think what your feeling is a deeper issue then just living in Connecticut. In my opinion if your are that unhappy there then you should move on cause there is not a job or salary in this planet worth your mental or physical health.

It is my opinion that you maybe trying to find something that just doesn't exist so you continue to allow yourself to be let down.

I think what you need is to get yourself a nice little home out in the sticks, get yourself a cute down to earth country guy, and go fishing on the weekends and to hell with everything else.

You are way too young to be this jaded, don't make yourself depressed over things you may not be able to have right at this moment, just because it didn't happen today don't mean that it won't happen tomorrow. Take it one day at a time buddy, you'll get there if you don't give up.

^^^^^^^^Corrected it for you.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Army vet: he's definitely not joking about how high the COL is in the area that he works. And he has made perfectly clear that he does not want a long commute (though, I'm with you on this point, and would bite the bullet and just suck it up).

Second, he has no use for, nor will he ever in the future, a "cute ... Country girl." ... Hunky "farm hand" maybe - but the commute from the farm to the office would be too long!

Just kidding around with you nep!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Check this out in Greenwich. 1 bedroom, $1,600! Reverse commute too 9 Weaver Street #1, Greenwich CT - Trulia
Not bad, but only 611 sq ft? That's too small. Right now my apartment is 700 sq ft and it's just right. I cant imagine it being any smaller.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Nep what we used to say in the army if it ain't raining you aint training, you gotta suck it up and drive on.

Your job is what you do, it's not who you are. Commutes are fine, I do it to NoVa cause my little out in the sticks town don't have much for work but you couldn't drag me out of here cause it's evetything I enjoy about small town USA.

You have to sacrafice something, nothing in life is easy and if it were then it would most likely be something not worth it.

And let me tell you something, my commute, the 29 500, is some of the most dangerous and horrid yankee driving Ive ever seen. But I have a decent home within my budget, I have a wife and kids, so I scarafice, I commit to the drive in order to enjoy a better quality of life for my family and I.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Fair enough. But the living room appears to be a good size, and the bedroom seems spacious enough and has a nice bump out where the dresser is. Kitchen does seem a little tight, though it's definitely nicely updated.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
How in the world can you not be happy making 75k a year? Hell I own a house and only make 50,000 but I don't find the most expensive to call home either.

I'm on your side cause I've been in dark places before as well however you are an example of how money can buy you many things except happiness.

I think what your feeling is a deeper issue then just living in Connecticut. In my opinion if your are that unhappy there then you should move on cause there is not a job or salary in this planet worth your mental or physical health.

It is my opinion that you maybe trying to find something that just doesn't exist so you continue to allow yourself to be let down.

I think what you need is to get yourself a nice little home out in the sticks, get yourself a cute down to earth country girl, and go fishing on the weekends and to hell with everything else.

You are way too young to be this jaded, don't make yourself depressed over things you may not be able to have right at this moment, just because it didn't happen today don't mean that it won't happen tomorrow. Take it one day at a time buddy, you'll get there if you don't give up.
I'm very happy with my salary and income (which is actually $90K if you include the bonus). But the COL is just too high around here, to have a reasonable commute. There are numerous places in the U.S. that offer a high quality of life for a single person at a much more affordable price.

I spent the last 3 months looking for a job elsewhere in the country but had no luck. I applied to 39 jobs in total, but only 5 companies called me and offered a phone interview to start with. When they asked me why I'm looking, I said that I was interested in relocating to a more affordable area. They seemed to react positively to that, believe it or not. They were quite understanding.

Among the five companies that contacted me, here are the reasons why it didn't work out:

Company 1 - I found out from friends who work there that the head of the department I'd be working in is a total ***** and everything is in disarray, with major uncertainty, long hours, stress, etc. So I declined to pursue. This job was located in Hartford.

Company 2 - I found out from a guy who worked in the tax department (where I would be) that they are slave drivers, so I declined to pursue. This job was located in Windsor.

Company 3 - I had an interview, but I got bad vibes from the place (yellow walls, bad smells, severely outdated décor, no café, overambitious hiring process), so I withdrew my candidacy. This job was located in Clinton.

Company 4 - I had a phone interview, but during the interview I found out that the job only paid $50K. Screw that. I declined to pursue. This job was located near Buffalo (which I would love to live there).

Company 5 - I had a phone interview, but found out that the company requires all employees to wear business formal attire (suit and tie) all five days per week, even if just sitting in a back office all day. Ridiculous. It's 2014. I declined to pursue. This job was located in Milwaukee.

So that's how my job search went during the 3 month period. I mean, it's possible that some employer could still contact me in the coming week or two regarding an application I submitted over the past few weeks. But how long should I let this go on for? There comes a point where I have to put my foot down and just end the job search, right?

Also, in March, I am eligible for a bonus and raise. The bonus is expected to be $9K. That would be a shame to pass up, although it's worthless in FFC. So I don't care.

I applied to jobs in the following places, as follows:

Hartford area - 8
Buffalo area - 5
Columbus - 4
West Palm Beach - 4
Minneapolis - 4
Pittsburgh - 4
Milwaukee - 2
New Haven - 2
Cleveland - 1
Detroit - 1
Grand Rapids - 1
Phoenix - 1
Rochester - 1
Portland, OR - 1

Old 11-02-2014, 05:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:

Also, in March, I am eligible for a bonus and raise. The bonus is expected to be $9K. That would be a shame to pass up, although it's worthless in FFC.

You're right about that. You can just send that worthless bonus check to me. I promise to give it a good home.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
That's your problem right there, you're too high maintenance. So instead you are going to push the limits of your budget which will leave you broke and depressed.

There is no such thing as a perfect job, it's called work and not fun for a reason. During this economic downturn most employers are like this now because there aren't too many places for workers to go. However it won't be like this forever.

You should make a list of positives and negatives and if you find that the positives will outweigh the negatives then that's the move you should make.

If the cost of where you currently are outweighs the benefits of your income then you're in the wrong the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut