Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:32 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

I think this is a complete waste of taxpayers money. With so many real criminals in this world there has to be a better way to spend the courts time than this. How will they ever find an impartial jury to hear the case. They won't. I know if I were called I would be completely against finding him guilty. The guy made a horrible mistake that he will have to live with the rest of his life. That is more than enough punishment. Jay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:56 AM

242 posts, read 351,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think this is a complete waste of taxpayers money. With so many real criminals in this world there has to be a better way to spend the courts time than this. How will they ever find an impartial jury to hear the case. They won't. I know if I were called I would be completely against finding him guilty. The guy made a horrible mistake that he will have to live with the rest of his life. That is more than enough punishment. Jay.
Exactly how I feel, too. The Washington Post had a really good article about this in 2009 that everyone should read to decide for yourselves about this.

"When it happens to young children, the facts are often the same: An otherwise loving and attentive parent one day gets busy, or distracted, or upset, or confused by a change in his or her daily routine, and just... forgets a child is in the car."

A parent's worst nightmare and the guilt would be crushing.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:29 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
Exactly how I feel, too. The Washington Post had a really good article about this in 2009 that everyone should read to decide for yourselves about this.

"When it happens to young children, the facts are often the same: An otherwise loving and attentive parent one day gets busy, or distracted, or upset, or confused by a change in his or her daily routine, and just... forgets a child is in the car."

A parent's worst nightmare and the guilt would be crushing.
I read the article and still don't understand how one can be so busy or so distracted that they leave their child in the car. But I agree that this father has been punished enough with the loss of his child. I'm not sure what more the state could do to him.

Strangely enough, I think they should throw the book at people who leave their kids in the car but the kids are unhurt. If nothing more than to make an example out of them and prevent another tragedy.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Now I'm rethinking my initial position on punishment after reading this:
Ridgefield Father Drove With Son In Car, Unaware Child Was Dead Or Dying, Documents Say - Hartford Courant
He remembered to stop for coffee but not stop at the daycare? He was in his car multiple times during the day and did not notice his son was there? Something is just not right with this story.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Keep in mind that it is very likely that this child was in a rear facing car seat. I can't see my toddler in the rear view mirror when he is in his RF seat.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
This is a horrible decision, to arrest and prosecute this man. It was an accident! It's a miracle if his marriage survived the accident. It surely won't survive the stress of prosecution. I could understand the bringing of charges if there had been any signs that this had been intentional on his part, but there were not. This is not only a waste of taxpayer money - it's a horrible abusive miscarriage of justice, to arrest and prosecute this man. Shame on whoever approved this prosecution. Any parent knows that, there but for the grace of God, go I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut