Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 PM

337 posts, read 429,837 times

Advertisements

So, we're in a deficit situation. Wonder why we weren't told about it before the election. Everything was rosy and we were growing and the economy booming. Then it was recently announced that what began as an estimated 50 million dollar deficit has now grown to over a $100 million dollar deficit. We're also now faced with a $1 BILLION dollar deficit for the coming budget. Wonder where that will all come from. Mr. Malloy has sworn not to create any new taxes. He, however, has NOT ruled out increasing current taxes in addition to replacing tolls on 95, one of the most congested and dangerous highways in New England.

Now add to that an estimated 25% increase in our electricity bills. What are people on fixed incomes supposed to do? They CAN'T just demand an increase in their pensions or SS.

What a wonderful government.

Thanks, fellow Connecticut residents. This is why we will be selling in the Spring and moving. You can not fix stupid.

Cuffler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
So, we're in a deficit situation. Wonder why we weren't told about it before the election. Everything was rosy and we were growing and the economy booming. Then it was recently announced that what began as an estimated 50 million dollar deficit has now grown to over a $100 million dollar deficit. We're also now faced with a $1 BILLION dollar deficit for the coming budget. Wonder where that will all come from. Mr. Malloy has sworn not to create any new taxes. He, however, has NOT ruled out increasing current taxes in addition to replacing tolls on 95, one of the most congested and dangerous highways in New England.

Now add to that an estimated 25% increase in our electricity bills. What are people on fixed incomes supposed to do? They CAN'T just demand an increase in their pensions or SS.

What a wonderful government.

Thanks, fellow Connecticut residents. This is why we will be selling in the Spring and moving. You can not fix stupid.

Cuffler
I'm SHOCKED.......just absolutely shocked, to find there is gambling going on in here

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown the FIRST time in 2010, let alone last month.

Those who voted for him in the most recent election can't complain, and really do deserve everything they get, and then some.

Fool me once......shame on you

Fool me TWICE.........

CT didn't elect Malloy.....

Hartford, New Britian, New Haven, Bridgeport and Waterbury did!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
He knew about it. His committee told him last spring. He is a lawyer by profession so he is a good liar.

He said he won't raise taxes but the more and more the deficit seems to grow it looks like he will have to. His budget/revenue is based on one time payment and hope he can collect some back taxes.

If he raises taxes people and businesses will question staying here. I am one of them.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:37 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
1.1 billion deflict next year

Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

I am not sure why Republicans keep blaming cities for their loss. It was not just the cities that voted for Malloy, Malloy did well in a lot of the suburbs, too. The vote was very, very close in many smaller towns. And FTR, I am not a Democrat, I'm an Independent. I don't believe in voting along party lines...Republicans should take note and put forth a better candidate next time around.

Map: Race For Governor, Town-By-Town - Hartford Courant

Old 12-07-2014, 06:15 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I am not sure why Republicans keep blaming cities for their loss. It was not just the cities that voted for Malloy, Malloy did well in a lot of the suburbs, too. The vote was very, very close in many smaller towns. And FTR, I am not a Democrat, I'm an Independent. I don't believe in voting along party lines...Republicans should take note and put forth a better candidate next time around.

Map: Race For Governor, Town-By-Town - Hartford Courant
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Waterbury was 53% Malloy, 46% Foley.

Westport was 54% Malloy, 45% Foley.

Any questions?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Excellent point.

Waterbury was 53% Malloy, 46% Foley.

Westport was 54% Malloy, 45% Foley.

Any questions?
West hartford, wood bridge and Westport were meaningful outliers relative to the burbs as a whole. If new haven, Hartford and bridgeport did nit participate, Foley would have handily won. Cherry pick much?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
West hartford, wood bridge and Westport were meaningful outliers relative to the burbs as a whole. If new haven, Hartford and bridgeport did nit participate, Foley would have handily won. Cherry pick much?
I'm not cherrypicking at all. Just attempting to educate that poster that he was incorrect regarding his assertion with Waterbury. He was correct about Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven and New Britian<sic> though.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm not cherrypicking at all. Just attempting to educate that poster that he was incorrect regarding his assertion with Waterbury. He was correct about Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven and New Britian<sic> though.
Not to split hairs but your data does affirm that Waterbury voted/supported malloy and not Foley.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Cuffler, from your tone you're making it sound like everyone here voted for Malloy. Ahem, no. Just because he won doesn't mean we're happy about it. And I live in a town that carried this horse's ass, and I tend to lean Democratic and I cast my vote for Foley (though I felt he was a dirtbag too), and that was to no avail. Maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if more people willed themselves to the damn voting booth this past summer so they could have cast their votes for McKinney. He would've been a way better contender than Foley against this tax-happy turd.

I really don't have anything else to say about politics right now. I've become so disillusioned and cynical about public figures over the last two years or so that nobody seems worthy of an honest man's vote. Maybe if these shysters cared half as much as their constiuents as they do for their special-interest groups things may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut