Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 12:59 PM

12 posts, read 83,102 times

Advertisements

It seems strange to me that say a place like Hartford has most of it's workers in higher paying jobs live elsewhere. Same with all the other cities in this state. I wonder why some large companies don't relocate to where their workers live and maybe cut down on the pervasive commuting that's come to be? I'm asking this inquisitively, not accusingly. Do people think that opening nicer apartments right in the city (i.e. Hartford 21) will do much to bring folks in the high end jobs actually living near where they work? Any insider information would be appreciated.

Also, is there anything for commuter type railroads in Hartford county and the surrounding area. I see that the Metro-North is very well used, as well as the Shore Line east, but havent' hear about anything serving Hartford other than busses.

I would love to get a well paying job in this state (since worker's compensation here is pretty good) but it would be nice to not have to commute.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM

439 posts, read 721,967 times
Warderjack

commuting here is about average nationally- Hartford is the 44th largest metro area in the nation. But the city itself has struggled for years. The good thing is that things are changing. Hartford 21 is a beginning as are other high end condo's. Hartford has no rail lines-courtesy of the clueless Republican Governor Jodi Rell.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 83,102 times
Default Rising Star

When I showed my mom around we did notice a lot of the street banners proclaiming it the rising star of New England. Seems like they are taking steps in the right direction, but I'd imagine some things like getting in a commuter rail service will take some time. It really would be worth while though since the Metro-North and Shore Line East are pretty well used.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
A commuter railroad would be great in Hartford. I-84 is such a mess. Many people in my area use the bus (CT Transit), as we have an express bus that goes straight from the commuter lot in town and then it does a loop in downtown Hartford. It seems more people in my town use the bus rather than the van pools (like Easy Street). Other than that, there are no other commuter options.

The idea of living right in Hartford is a good one, but the infrastructure isn’t there. If you live in downtown Hartford, you have to go out of the city to get to a grocery store. Not terribly convenient. If I live right in a city, I want necessities (grocery store, pharmacy, etc) to be within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: