Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 12:36 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
This is the year to fly out to Tahoe where they're currently getting one snow dumping after another.
Enjoy. A ski-trip out west for a family of 4 is going to run upwards of 10K. 6-7K at a minimum with inflated airfare, lift tickets, rentals, and lodging at peak weekend and holiday rates. Many in CT can do this without even a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 03:11 PM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Just went to Plattekill - nice facilities, great bar with views, snow tubing for the kids, and only 3 hours away.

Old 01-25-2023, 03:45 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Just went to Plattekill - nice facilities, great bar with views, snow tubing for the kids, and only 3 hours away.
Yeah that place is decent. Much better than Hunter with its crowds and NYC clientele.

Berkshire East and Catamount have a similar vibe.

I tend to gravitate to Southern VT over Catskills though. Roughly same drive and better terrain and snow.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:39 PM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Enjoy. A ski-trip out west for a family of 4 is going to run upwards of 10K. 6-7K at a minimum with inflated airfare, lift tickets, rentals, and lodging at peak weekend and holiday rates. Many in CT can do this without even a second thought.
You could spend that in VT or New Hampshire. My sister just dropped $700 for one day at Waterville Valley. That's just lessons and lift tickets.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:00 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
You could spend that in VT or New Hampshire. My sister just dropped $700 for one day at Waterville Valley. That's just lessons and lift tickets.
That's why I often ski in Quebec in the Eastern Township ski areas. Sutton has great terrain and Owls Head has very scenic views and terrain. The mountains are Jiminy Peak sized. But they're friendly operations and really cheap to ski at, so are the hotels in the area. If you can drive as far as Jay, these resorts just another skip/jump away. Further up past Quebec City, Le Masif resort has an all-inclusive Club Med resort on site. The ski package rates are pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
This would compel me to compare a ski trip to the French Alps if forking this much out for a total package.

If I want to indulge and go skiing out west, Telluride, CO is freaking awesome! Love the town tucked into a box canyon surrounded by aspen covered slopes and stunning peaks. I like that the resort development up the mountain away from town and the free gondola service until Midnight. The terrain and scenery are epic, the very best of the US Rockies. When I lived in the Southwest I enjoyed going to Telluride in the winter and summer. Of course being road tripping distance made a long weekend there more feasible.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-30-2023 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-30-2023, 05:02 PM

386 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Maybe Stowe or Killington in Vermont you could drop $10K but even that’s extremely unlikely, especially since anyone from CT would be driving, not flying.

Hard to throw lessons in there as a comparison. Without using any easily available discounts and without planning in advance at all, 6 days of skiing for adult would cost $990 so that’s $4K for a family of 4. Accommodations can vary widely, as does food.

People who go to VT driving from CT also tend not to spend a whole week there. It’s usually 3 nights (on average).

It’s not cheap, no doubt about it, but let’s not exaggerate.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:16 PM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Maybe Stowe or Killington in Vermont you could drop $10K but even that’s extremely unlikely, especially since anyone from CT would be driving, not flying.

Hard to throw lessons in there as a comparison. Without using any easily available discounts and without planning in advance at all, 6 days of skiing for adult would cost $990 so that’s $4K for a family of 4. Accommodations can vary widely, as does food.

People who go to VT driving from CT also tend not to spend a whole week there. It’s usually 3 nights (on average).

It’s not cheap, no doubt about it, but let’s not exaggerate.
Add on rentals, lessons for 4 kids. Stay a week. Maybe not $10k, but it’s creeping close. Family of 5, flying out west, with food? 10k might be low, especially if you add lessons for a few of the kids.

Either way, it’s damn expensive if you are taking kids.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:16 PM

Long weekend for family of 4 would not be 10K in VT

10K out west was conservative for a family of 4. That's maybe with a budget hotel and no dogs to kennel at home, but CT skiers don't do budget when they go out west and they have dogs, that's a pre-requisite. They go Airbnb slopeside or the Ritz.

Airfare for 4 during Pres Day or Feb break - 2Kplus
5 day ski package for 4 without lessons - 3K or 4K with rental equipment
Right off the bat your at 5-6K, then tack on another 5K for resort lodging and food.
Then back home, add another 3K for kennel fees at the Doggie Ritz for the labradoodles, the preferred breed now in Gold Coast due to the fact they are hypoallergenic.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:21 PM

386 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Add on rentals, lessons for 4 kids. Stay a week. Maybe not $10k, but it’s creeping close. Family of 5, flying out west, with food? 10k might be low, especially if you add lessons for a few of the kids.

Either way, it’s damn expensive if you are taking kids.
I keep hearing about people having kids later and having fewer of them.

How did we get to a family of 5, with a week long ski trip, need to rent equipment and they all need lessons!?

Kind of reminds me of how they determine “most expensive MLB teams” in terms of cost to see a game.

The assumptions they always use is 2 parents, 2 kids, 2 beers, 2 sodas, 4 hotdogs, 4 peanuts/cracker jax/popcorn, 2 programs and 2 shirts.

I’m just like, what happened to a couple of outfield or upper level seats and a snack. It’s not EVERYTIME you go to a game you’re buying all that crap

In the end, it’s expensive, we get it. But, keep in mind, families that go on $10K ski trips are not usually that hard pressed for cash. Spending $10K (after tax money) on a trip is still something most average earning families do not do

Old 01-30-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
I keep hearing about people having kids later and having fewer of them.

How did we get to a family of 5, with a week long ski trip, need to rent equipment and they all need lessons!?

Kind of reminds me of how they determine “most expensive MLB teams” in terms of cost to see a game.

The assumptions they always use is 2 parents, 2 kids, 2 beers, 2 sodas, 4 hotdogs, 4 peanuts/cracker jax/popcorn, 2 programs and 2 shirts.

I’m just like, what happened to a couple of outfield or upper level seats and a snack. It’s not EVERYTIME you go to a game you’re buying all that crap

In the end, it’s expensive, we get it. But, keep in mind, families that go on $10K ski trips are not usually that hard pressed for cash. Spending $10K (after tax money) on a trip is still something most average earning families do not do
Yes but we're talking about skiing. It's a ski thread. For context, the lack of snow this year in the east led to some mentioning heading out west. That can be spendy and only for the well-heeled.

Families of 4 or 5 are pretty common in CT. Take the town of Fairfield for example where any less than 2 kids and 2 dogs is frowned upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut