Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

[quote=AMSS;39059329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Maybe it's affordable from the OP's perspective. Great town, can't go wrong in any neighborhood. Probably the best downtown in the area, the nicest coastline and beach in SW CT, schools goes without saying. The bottom rung of single homes is in the $500-600Ks area that are either run down fixer uppers, or smaller modest homes right off the Post Rd or I95. The Saugatuck section is generally the more affordable area in town.
What?? only 2 Fairfield recommendations so far![/QUOTE]

I'd certainly recommend Fairfield. It's not cheap either, but a very cool town that's a little more down to earth.
Love Fairfield. I second this recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
[quote=mlassoff;39059464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post

Love Fairfield. I second this recommendation.
Loving Fairfield on this thing, really, I'm shocked, I never heard this before

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM

[quote=Raider111;39059607]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Loving Fairfield on this thing, really, I'm shocked, I never heard this before
I think Fairfield get's a fair amount of love... I think the wealthier towns (Darien, Westport, etc) get unfairly demonized.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
There's no doubt that there's a high bias for Milford and Fairfield on CD Connecticut, lol! I mean, I'm bias towards the Danbury Area, so, it's understandable why people feel strongly about Fairfield who have a connection with it. And I'm not going to deny that they are nice places. Fairfield is a nice town to raise a family.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 7,426 times
Everyone, thanks for your responses. Glad to get confirmation that the schools are as good as I've heard. We'll have some exploring to do. What do you think about the numerous houses /neighborhoods where houses sit along side big commercial developments- noise & traffic 24 /7?; and public works, transfer station? and beside major busy highways? Are the neighborhoods designated residential , business etc. or are there no zoning restrictions? I'm just getting started and all this is new.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzers4us View Post
Everyone, thanks for your responses. Glad to get confirmation that the schools are as good as I've heard. We'll have some exploring to do. What do you think about the numerous houses /neighborhoods where houses sit along side big commercial developments- noise & traffic 24 /7?; and public works, transfer station? and beside major busy highways? Are the neighborhoods designated residential , business etc. or are there no zoning restrictions? I'm just getting started and all this is new.
Huh?

Zoning is such that, in general, neighborhoods don't sit next to big commercial developments. We don't even have big commercial developments in Westport. Most commerce is on the Post Road and aside from a couple of gated condo communities and one affordable housing complex there isn't much. The condos are generally $750K +.

Really if your budget isn't $650+ with kids you can eliminate Westport all together.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with the others. There really are no bad neighborhoods in Westport. The entry level in Westport is pretty high though. The cheapest home on realtor.com is a mobile home (yes, there is a mobile home park in Westport) for $365,000. That would be right off the Post Road and you would be very close to your neighbors. The next step up are a couple of old modest colonials and a small ranch for the low $400's and then a couple of more in the upper $400's. Whether these homes are located next to or near a nuisance (I-95, the Post Road, a difficult business, etc.) is unknown and something the OP would have to weigh in their decision making process. Jay
The mobile home park's days are numbered. It's currently in the process of being converted into townhouses - luxury low income townhouses with jacuzzi tubs from what I hear.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 7,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Huh?

Zoning is such that, in general, neighborhoods don't sit next to big commercial developments. We don't even have big commercial developments in Westport. Most commerce is on the Post Road and aside from a couple of gated condo communities and one affordable housing complex there isn't much. The condos are generally $750K +.

Really if your budget isn't $650+ with kids you can eliminate Westport all together.
Thanks you. However, driving around, and looking at homes with real estate agents at prices above 1 mil. there are neighborhoods that I've seen which are backed up to Post Road, Sherwood Connector,etc., with numerous businesses up to the property lines, homes on the highways Rte 15 and 95, where it is so noisy in the yard as to be unusuablel and where some of the business have big trash-type trucks.
We love the town, have been renting for 2 years, are thrilled with schools, activities and people we've met, but we don't want to buy something and realize afterwards that we can't enjoy the yard, neighborhood..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzers4us View Post
Thanks you. However, driving around, and looking at homes with real estate agents at prices above 1 mil. there are neighborhoods that I've seen which are backed up to Post Road, Sherwood Connector,etc., with numerous businesses up to the property lines, homes on the highways Rte 15 and 95, where it is so noisy in the yard as to be unusuablel and where some of the business have big trash-type trucks.
We love the town, have been renting for 2 years, are thrilled with schools, activities and people we've met, but we don't want to buy something and realize afterwards that we can't enjoy the yard, neighborhood..
yeah, so just look at homes away from those areas.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 22,877 times
Just be careful driving in those lower Fairfield County UMC areas. Worst drivers in the country and they all have massive SUVs. I've seen housewives in Escalades back up into busy corridors without even deigning to look first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut