Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 07:49 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times

Advertisements

Anyone know when the infrastructure bill money is going to hit? The DOT advertisement of projects is very bleak for the next couple months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 08:32 AM

215 posts, read 148,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can’t say I’m pleased by this. This is a much needed project to not only rehab bridges, it improves safety items like guide rail. This was viewed as the first phase of rehabilitating a 65 year old highway to bring it into the 21st Century. Greenwich has pulled this before with the truck weigh station at the old toll plaza. I feel that Lamont is pandering to his neighbors rather than doing what is best for the entire state. That’s not what he was elected for. Jay
I'm thankful this was put off for now. commuters in that area already dealt with the terrible traffic for a few years from the reconstruction of the 95 / 287 interchange.

that area doesn't really need a big reconstruction anyway, adding in longer exit lanes for exit 2 and making exit 3 a 3 lane exit would be a massive improvement.

the rest of the money they were going to use for that area would really be going to the stamford section of 95 and create a 2 lane local exit only section... but thats a pipe dream

Old 04-11-2022, 10:33 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
that area doesn't really need a big reconstruction anyway, adding in longer exit lanes for exit 2 and making exit 3 a 3 lane exit would be a massive improvement.
95 from Greenwich to New Haven needs a major reconstruction, no question, all the way through. There's no way to deny it. The current configuration is a black stain on the State. An embarassment.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:24 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
95 from Greenwich to New Haven needs a major reconstruction, no question, all the way through. There's no way to deny it. The current configuration is a black stain on the State. An embarassment.
I agree. We have a mid 20th Century highway designed for a completely different world than we have today. After almost 65 years of heavy use and abuse with traffic volumes never imagined when it was designed and built, it is time for a massive reconstruction. Granted this section is less used than other sections further east, it’s still an important part of the highway system. I just hope that DOT is able to appease the locals. Jay

Old 04-12-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I just hope that DOT is able to appease the locals. Jay
Greenwich personnel who are concerned with highway noise should do what Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford, West Haven, and New Haven personnel do when they're concerned with highway noises. They developed a process. Over time they were all able to figure it out because the highway has been there for a while now - buy or live in homes further from the highway.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:07 PM

215 posts, read 148,332 times
I was more so speaking of the choke points of 95. Downtown stamford is much worse then that section in Greenwich.

We can't solve the overuse of the highway with major, major changes, but we can alleviate stress points with small fixes.

south bound 95 you get traffic backing up onto the highway at exit 3 and exit 2, that is alleviated by dedicated exit lanes, multiple exit lanes, or longer exits, all of which are relatively easy to do in those areas

the stamford section needs a redesign entirely.

I am for sure not advocating that work doesn't need to be done, work needs to be done all over.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
I was more so speaking of the choke points of 95. Downtown stamford is much worse then that section in Greenwich.

We can't solve the overuse of the highway with major, major changes, but we can alleviate stress points with small fixes.

south bound 95 you get traffic backing up onto the highway at exit 3 and exit 2, that is alleviated by dedicated exit lanes, multiple exit lanes, or longer exits, all of which are relatively easy to do in those areas

the stamford section needs a redesign entirely.

I am for sure not advocating that work doesn't need to be done, work needs to be done all over.
No, minor fixes are useless, it needs major changes all the way through. Every town. Both lane and ramp expansions are vital. And expand and update the rail service too while they're at it.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:11 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
I’d be down with closing some redundant on ramps too. There are too many in towns like Milford and Fairfield.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:25 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I’d be down with closing some redundant on ramps too. There are too many in towns like Milford and Fairfield.
That is one of the highways major problems. It has become a quick way to get across town and avoid local traffic. To do this though the towns will have to accept more traffic on local streets. The towns are not going to easily accept that. Jay

Old 04-14-2022, 04:00 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
That is one of the highways major problems. It has become a quick way to get across town and avoid local traffic. To do this though the towns will have to accept more traffic on local streets. The towns are not going to easily accept that. Jay
True. I think EXITS are fine–they don't contribute nearly as much to traffic.

Here in Milford, there really isn't too much traffic on route 1 between exits 39 and 34. Most of the traffic we see on Route 1 is from the mall to Costco, and even then, it's only bad on absolute peak weekend times and during holidays. I think we could easily handle closing at least one. Probably the exit 37 on ramp is the most obvious, it's pretty awkward anyway. Can't speak for other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut