Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2019, 10:20 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
How do the other states do it? Large or small. In fact states without PERSONAL income tax are thriving. CT used to do it too.

You drive roads of Tennessee for example, and they are like glass. They also got rid of personal income tax (on wages).

Missing the forest for the trees. At the economic thread I have posted studies that In the last 20-25 yrs, basically since CT turned left, Govt jobs is the only sector which has growth in jobs. Economic trends take time to take shape. Rise in Govt jobs while private sector shrinks — enjoy misery.
Tennessee has the highest sales tax in the country (as high as 12%) and they tax things like dividends, interest and groceries. They are a lower cost of living state so things there like labor and real estate cost less. Also Tennessee saves money by having some of the worst public education and healthcare systems in the country. You can’t change cost of living and the vast majority of residents here do not want to sacrifice education or healthcare. They furthermore have high taxes on tourist services (restaurants and hotels) which helps generate revenue in places like Nashville.

As for the roads, most of Tennessee does not have the volumes of traffic we have pretty much throughout our state. They do not have the extreme freezes and thaws we have nor the exposure to salt water and air that we have along the coast. Plus from what I’ve seen, the roads in and around Tennessee’s major cities are not much better than most of ours.

Connecticut has been pretty much a more progressive state for a lot longer than 20 to 25 years. It’s more like 40 to 50 years. Once again I gave you data that shows public sector employment is down while private sector is up over the past 10 years. What more do you want? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 05:10 PM

154 posts, read 79,127 times
How come no talk of expanding use of rail lines for freight? Getting the large volume of tractor trailers down to a smaller level would help our highways and traffic issues. The state is always going to be to go between NYC and Mass. Any decrease of these trucks off the roads to the rails would be a good thing. If we are going to expand rail for passengers then we need to grow using it for freight.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
How come no talk of expanding use of rail lines for freight? Getting the large volume of tractor trailers down to a smaller level would help our highways and traffic issues. The state is always going to be to go between NYC and Mass. Any decrease of these trucks off the roads to the rails would be a good thing. If we are going to expand rail for passengers then we need to grow using it for freight.
That is a great idea but I would think that has to be a country wide or regional undertaking.

With CT being the gateway to New England I bet our state is the hardest hit by all the tractor trailers coming through. How could that be done? You can't make a truck stop and put their goods on a freight train in Greenwich and have them pick it up in Stonington.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Freight transport by train is difficult and limiting. It involves a limited service area and then possible transfer to trucks for final delivery. Each step and transfer are time consuming and expensive. Plus Connecticut already has an extensive rail freight network but much of it is congested with both freight and commuter and regional rail service. Freight trucking is fast, less expensive and very flexible which is why it is so popular. Jay

Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 AM

An excellent opinion piece on the fiscal efficiency of Connecticut’s transportation system. What’s most interesting is Connecticut’s rankings for spending per capita (23rd) and spending per state Gross Domestic Product (44th). So exactly how inefficient is our state in providing transportation? And why wasn’t the Reason Foundations backpedaling of its ranking made more public? So much for being able to save significant money by making CTDOT more efficient. Jay

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...6ga-story.html

Old 11-24-2019, 01:26 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Freight transport by train is difficult and limiting. It involves a limited service area and then possible transfer to trucks for final delivery. Each step and transfer are time consuming and expensive. Plus Connecticut already has an extensive rail freight network but much of it is congested with both freight and commuter and regional rail service. Freight trucking is fast, less expensive and very flexible which is why it is so popular. Jay
^^ This. Here is a link for the Port of NY/NJ and the available rail lines. If you look at the outbound schedule, there are 2 trains a week from Elizabeth to Stackbridge/Worcester, MA. From there it still needs to be trucked to the final destination.

I used to bring in containers from Europe. Once it cleared at the port, I could have it in Boston within 8 hours. No way would I want to wait another 3-4 days for a train.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 PM

154 posts, read 79,127 times
Is anyone else getting concerned about the speed on our highways in general ?
I drive 84 ,91, 691 pretty much daily and it just seems like the traffic is getting crazy fast lately.
I go the 65-70 range and feel like I am sitting still sometimes. Traffic must be going 75-85.
Connecticut is broke and looking for money, how about more state police sweeps nailing the speeders. Any future to speed cameras giving tickets on highways ? I know that is used mostly in cities for traffic lights. I see traffic building yet speed increases. It is very dangerous driving out due to reckless drivers.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
Quote:
I drive 84 ,91, 691 pretty much daily and it just seems like the traffic is getting crazy fast lately.
I go the 65-70 range and feel like I am sitting still sometimes. Traffic must be going 75-85.
Connecticut is broke and looking for money, how about more state police sweeps nailing the speeders. Any future to speed cameras giving tickets on highways ? I know that is used mostly in cities for traffic lights. I see traffic building yet speed increases. It is very dangerous driving out due to reckless drivers.
polices are every where in CT local town roads. Unfortunately my understanding is that there are virtually no police on highways, therefore the norm of crazy speed.

If you only drive 65-70 on 95 or 91, yes, you are the one blocking others on both lanes.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
It is most problematic when the speed limit changes from 65 mph to 50 or 55 mph such as 91 near the 84 interchange or 84 through the curves. Some people feel it is there right to continue at a minimum of 65 mph no matter what the posted limit or traffic situation is. I have witnessed some extremely dangerous moves where people weave across three lanes and/or the breakdown lane to pass people on the left and right as if they are playing a video game. Recently one came from the left lane and slid across three lanes literally inches from my front fender and continued right in front of a coach bus which had to brake hard to avoid hitting the car. The car then continued to pass someone in the right breakdown lane before crossing 3 lanes back to the left lane. All of this took place in heavy morning traffic in the Jennings Road area.

Another major issue is people cutting over at full speed and crossing into the HOV lane. They kick up rocks and once in the lane speed up to high speeds intimidating commuters in front of them who are rightfully there and driving at posted speed.

I wish there was more enforcement available. This is definitely a noticeable change in behavior over the past few years.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 AM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post

If you only drive 65-70 on 95 or 91, yes, you are the one blocking others on both lanes.
If you are doing 65-70 on I95 in Fairfield County, you are not blocking lanes, you're throwing a party and celebrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut