Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 07:02 AM

712 posts, read 542,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
If you are doing 65-70 on I95 in Fairfield County, you are not blocking lanes, you're throwing a party and celebrating.
I know where you are coming from, Fairfield county is in different world compared to rest of state. I was talking about new Haven Harford counties, in off peak hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 AM

6,901 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yeah, it’s well documented and has been pretty often cited on this forum that newer residents of the state earn a fraction of those leaving, while states like FL are seeing a sharp rise in income (and job growth).
a fraction? where can I find this documentation? are we required to provide income info as we come and go in the state? how do they know?

I'm not disputing it just curious. I could be a living example.
I make less than the guy I rent FROM here in CT, probably not a fraction though.
I also make less than the guy I rent out TO, in another state, and I mean waaay less, a fraction.

So it does make sense, but how do they know.

Hopefully they'll figure out the transporataion challenges in CT, its needed yesterday.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
a fraction? where can I find this documentation? are we required to provide income info as we come and go in the state? how do they know?

I'm not disputing it just curious. I could be a living example.
I make less than the guy I rent FROM here in CT, probably not a fraction though.
I also make less than the guy I rent out TO, in another state, and I mean waaay less, a fraction.

So it does make sense, but how do they know.

Hopefully they'll figure out the transporataion challenges in CT, its needed yesterday.
It has been well cited and thoroughly discussed that new residents have 1/4 less income than those leaving.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It has been well cited and thoroughly discussed that new residents have 1/4 less income than those leaving.
Just because its been cited and thoroughly discussed here doesn't mean its gospel. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
It may be right, I just don't know how they ofiicially track and cite such things.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Just because its been cited and thoroughly discussed here doesn't mean its gospel. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
It may be right, I just don't know how they ofiicially track and cite such things.

So the "fake news" rebuttal?

I'd speculate that the replacement income shift is largely caused by retiring Boomers. They're at their peak earnings when they retire. The younger replacements moving in earn less.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So the "fake news" rebuttal?

I'd speculate that the replacement income shift is largely caused by retiring Boomers. They're at their peak earnings when they retire. The younger replacements moving in earn less.
Just like the other states in the Salt Belt, sure.
So really no issues with CT out of the ordinary.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Quote:
Also pretty much what the ACS is suggesting. But it's interesting that there's a nationwide issue of younger workers being behind in relative terms of career and salary to where other generations were at that point in life. Younger people making less than soon to be retirees isn't new, or unique to CT.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Just like the other states in the Salt Belt, sure.
So really no issues with CT out of the ordinary.

I think you have Connecticut in the wrong bucket. Salt Belt includes a huge chunk of economic distress. It is better to put Connecticut in the Northeast Corridor bucket. The massively affluent Atlantic Coast region that combines with the West Coast to drive the national economy. High education levels. Intellectual property creation. The top three per capita GDP states are Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut. The three states have the same basic problem. Social spending on the bottom-20% is chewing them alive. Soaring Medicaid costs will make the problem worse. Aging Boomers who are out of money and land in nursing homes funded by Medicaid makes for really ugly state finances. That makes funding infrastructure improvements even more challenging.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I think you have Connecticut in the wrong bucket. Salt Belt includes a huge chunk of economic distress. It is better to put Connecticut in the Northeast Corridor bucket. The massively affluent Atlantic Coast region that combines with the West Coast to drive the national economy. High education levels. Intellectual property creation. The top three per capita GDP states are Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut. The three states have the same basic problem. Social spending on the bottom-20% is chewing them alive. Soaring Medicaid costs will make the problem worse. Aging Boomers who are out of money and land in nursing homes funded by Medicaid makes for really ugly state finances. That makes funding infrastructure improvements even more challenging.
That's the Rust Belt and you're absolutely right.
Salt belt just refers to winter weather states (salt the road with snow or ice)

Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
You asked for a source. It’s hard to dispute actual numbers, especially when numerous sources display it.

“Connecticut lost the equivalent of 1.6% of its annual adjusted gross income, as the people who moved out of the Constitution State had an average income of $122,000, which was 26% higher than those migrating in. Moreover, “leavers” outnumbered “stayers” by a five-to-four margin.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...lorida-profits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut