Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

First note 2 things... Neglect (weeds) and this bed is under the trees....and near the road but who cares about that...

Weeds closeup

Simply amazing how it looks without weeds. Now time to dig for the Potatoes.

See where the bed is located? gets about 3 hours of afternoon sun. Who said small potatoes can't grow in shade?

It's like excavating for Dinosaur bones. Have to be very careful not to cut the Potato. Minor cuts will heal.

Soil is very dusty. No rain in 1 week

Ta Da. 53 of them.

Red & Yellow Done. Until next year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 AM

Don't forget... Over the winter if you have Potatoes in your closet forming the Eyes or stems.. just put those aside in a cool dark place and then in the Spring, cut them in half and put them in the dirt. You will get a Potato plant. In fact I've had plants growing in my compost pile from throwing no good potatoes in there.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 AM

You know Fall is coming soon when part of the garden starts emptying out. No, I don't plant fall crops.. I want winter to come so I get ready for it. lol

I pulled up the Fava Bean Plants yesterday. Onions are pulled. Potatoes are pulled. String Beans in the back I'll probably pull soon too.

Lots of Sweet Bells waiting to turn colors. 10 plants.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 AM

This year is amazing for my Cukes. In my 11 yrs of gardening, this one is the best. No beetles which is pretty scary. I planted some Radish around them which supposed to deter beetles. I wonder if that did the trick. Fresh compost maybe helped with the health and the Warm May and wet June too.

I have 2 rows of 8 plants. Bees are loving the constant blooms.

The leaves are so healthy and some getting bigger than I ever seen.

Straight 8.
Hybrid II
National Pickling is pretty much all I have growing

What I been doing with the extras. Another batch yesterday

Mmmmmmm!

15 Jars so far. Fresh Homemade. Even the Garlic I used was from the garden and the pepper..

I'm curious how that one with the pepper I put in will taste like. Looks pretty cool!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 PM

68 posts, read 81,508 times
I let some nightshade looking plants grow out and it appears I have "Garden Huckleberries". Not sure if anyone has had any experience with these annuals? Supposedly not particularly tasty.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm so dang tired from working my 40hr weeks... I can't seem to get anything accomplished, though the kitchen cabinets are finally done. I'm working on woodwork. But we have leaves everywhere and we can't agree on a compost pile location. I'm scouting places to plant lilies for next year. That's about it. I think I have a good herb garden location. *crosses fingers*

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 AM

68 posts, read 81,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm so dang tired from working my 40hr weeks... I can't seem to get anything accomplished, though the kitchen cabinets are finally done. I'm working on woodwork. But we have leaves everywhere and we can't agree on a compost pile location. I'm scouting places to plant lilies for next year. That's about it. I think I have a good herb garden location. *crosses fingers*
Between normal work hours and other daily tasks (like walking the dogs and dinner) we only have an hour or two to work "constructively" on any projects. Like you, we've recently moved in and probably tackled more than we can really chew. I have some shelves I am still mid-stain on.... next lined up are fencing for the dogs, some basement/garage cabinets, resurface (not complete refinish) of the wood floors and then refurbish a dining set. Of course, with the decent weather and being new to the area we want to be OUT exploring on the weekends! It seems rather likely that some of these projects will end up being winter ones

As for the garden - I've left it to its own devices this year. Likely won't be a priority next year either. Thankfully we are good on leaves, its only the weeding the patio and borders that's currently a pain!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:10 PM

July 29, 2015 Hot Day. Harvest for today.

Whiffle ball gives perspective how big those Tomatoes are. The pinkish one is called "Steak Sandwich". VERY juicy! Mmmmm

Cucumbers loving the heat. Just gave all the plants a good drink.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I am gardening vicariously though your pictures, Cam. LOVE the pickle pics! I'll be using your recipe. I have my herb garden picked out!!! I'm excited.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM

29 posts, read 39,034 times
Hi Pros!
Quick question, apart from painting them, is there a way to make my tomatoes become red?! I've got plenty of them, in all shapes and sizes but they remain green, very green! I want to eat red tomatoes from the garden. They have plenty of sun and water... what's missing?!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut