Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You needed to water it? My tomatoes in pots have been outside for a few weeks, and the soil is soaked.
Mine are in direct sunlight all day. My soil was dry on top.......but I did not dig down and check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Mine are in direct sunlight all day. My soil was dry on top.......but I did not dig down and check
One of my friends told me that I didn't have to have nasty nails all summer just because I gardened. She wore surgical gloves. I have to feel dirt to know it. Temple Grandin does cows, and I do dirt.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:28 PM

35 posts, read 21,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
One of my friends told me that I didn't have to have nasty nails all summer just because I gardened. She wore surgical gloves. I have to feel dirt to know it. Temple Grandin does cows, and I do dirt.
I agree. It seems like I always have some dirt under my fingers from gardening. I like the feel of working in the dirt. Now if there was an easy way to get it all out easily that would be great.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
And the verdict is......?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:28 AM

898 posts, read 598,017 times
Ugh.... my tomato seedlings didn't work out.... according to the grow schedule, I should have been able to transplant a month ago.... Most didn't even germinate. Next year, if I'm where I can have a garden, I'm buying the most premium starter mix I can find and not the crap I got at Job Lot..... Bought 3 plants at Lowes and they are growing like gangbusters. A purple Cherokee heirloom in a container, one that is supposed to be some tennis ball size tomato, I don't know where the tag went, in a container, and some sort of cherry tomato, in the dirt. I think I can do a harvest and replant of radishes today or when I get a chance. Most everything else I planted came up at best poor. The soil here sucks and as I don't expect to be here next year, I'm not spending money on amendments. Oh, my dad, back in the late 60's, got some onions from my grandfather who I never remember meeting. Growing in all kinds of various places around the garden. Don't know how they spread, but a bunch are going to seed right now and I'm going to harvest the bulbs. I have 3 flower boxes and all over the garden to harvest. I also found the horseradish..... Is it a bad time to dig up some of that and put into a container?

Oh, container hack. Do you have any Shop Vacs with blown motors? The barrel section makes great containers for tomatoes. Probably cukes too. So if you are driving down the road and see a Vac being tossed out, grab it..... Just drill some drainage holes in the bottom before you put in potting soil.

Doing something different with my indeterminate tomatoes this year. At least the ones in the containers. I put two stakes into the container, then screwed a board across the top. tied some jute twine to a piece of bamboo stake, shoved it in next to the plant, then tied off at the cross board at the top. As the plant grows you wrap it around the twine. The one in the garden I have a cage made from concrete wire.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Update, everything is planted and doing well. Irrigation is solid.

Rebirthed Butternut Squash from last years composting that I'm letting go to see what happens

Old 06-21-2018, 01:51 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And the verdict is......?
Sorry.....Got tied up and forgot to post......Sooo.......We have signs of life! This is since the last pics I posted:

Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Everyday 6-7am I measure the soil temp 4 inches down. Check out what the 7 day heatwave did! Up it went and above 80°. I noticed certain kind of weeds were growing and others at a faster rate.

I also noticed Cucumbers took off. Probably would of noticed Pumpkins and Squash too. Warm soil always great for crops! (warm crops that is)

Soil temp pretty much follows the low temp pattern. Notice the big drop this morning with the lows and the soil did as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Garden has exploded and probably my best one so far. Even the deck peppers are doing amazing.

[img]https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36621260_10156003029219051_2673421213941891072_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=dba0699fefad4e8a47b57cf338e1f5a5&o e=5BDDFED9/img]

Old 07-09-2018, 09:48 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Well...first year trying to grow anything in an apartment. I have a small balcony and a little spot near the steps.

My Celebrity tomato plant (bought as a plant) got tomatoes that developed lighter green circular dents on them. That was in mid June and I think what caused it was the cold weather as the blossoms came out. I've never had this happen before. Threw the tomatoes away and now there are mid sized tomatoes that got off to a later start. Only problem seems to be a chipmunk! I noticed the soil in the pot was dug up today. Chipmunks seem to jump from the tree to the balcony. What do you do? Put some sort of netting over them?

I planted my beets in a grow box but couldn't find good, sandy soil. So I had to use composted cow manure and mixed it with bone meal. Next year I plan to grab a pail of real soil from someone and mix it with the other amendments. I don't think there will be any beets this year, although they did come up. Soil is too dense.

Flower garden near front steps is fine except the stupid chipmunk (?) or something has dug a hole. I covered the hole but the soil is all over the place. I'll have to scrape it up and put it back into the little garden.

Next year, tomato plants are going down by the steps. They take up too much room on the balcony. And that way, a neighbor could water them if I go away. There isn't as much sun down there as I had anticipated due to the over hanging tree.

First year is difficult. You don't know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut