Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

A developer is proposing to convert a former factory on Park Street in the city's Parkville neighborhood into a Food Market similar to New York's Chelsea Market. The space would be divided up into small sections and different food vendors will provide a wide range of offerings. This would be a wonderful addition to the city. I hope it happens. Jay

Hartford’s Parkville whets developer’s ‘food-hall’ appetite | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:50 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A developer is proposing to convert a former factory on Park Street in the city's Parkville neighborhood into a Food Market similar to New York's Chelsea Market. The space would be divided up into small sections and different food vendors will provide a wide range of offerings. This would be a wonderful addition to the city. I hope it happens. Jay

Hartford’s Parkville whets developer’s ‘food-hall’ appetite | HartfordBusiness.com
Hartford already has this its called "The Regional Market" next to Brainard airport. Although their hours are only 5am-9am I think.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/hartford-re...arket-hartford

DOAG: Farmers' Market at the Hartford Regional Market

Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times
I'm reading the Goodwin Hotel will reopen next week along with a new French restaurant on ground level.

The Goodwin Is Back And Betting On A Bright Hartford Future - Hartford Courant

I'm sure sure about the appeal of another upscale hotel when Hartford is already below occupancy rate goals.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I'm reading the Goodwin Hotel will reopen next week along with a new French restaurant on ground level.

The Goodwin Is Back And Betting On A Bright Hartford Future - Hartford Courant

I'm sure sure about the appeal of another upscale hotel when Hartford is already below occupancy rate goals.
I would think that the new owners of the Goodwin have examined current and future developments in the city and possibly have the belief that a more upscale clientele will be visiting the city in the years ahead and may use the hotel. I doubt they would invest a ton of money in such a project unless they found some kind of demand in the near future.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 PM

413 posts, read 317,752 times
When through the city last week end and stayed at the Hilton. The ball park was lit up. The increase in street traffic was small. But one cool thing, on Trumbull Street you could hear the roar from the park every now and then. I had dinner at Ted's on Front Street. The place was pretty full, Bear's next store was even fuller. Folks were on the street, some heading into the music venue. On warm summer nights, this should be a pretty happening place. I'm due back to the city in September, UConn and the bookstore will be open. Very curious what the vibe will be like then.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
When through the city last week end and stayed at the Hilton. The ball park was lit up. The increase in street traffic was small. But one cool thing, on Trumbull Street you could hear the roar from the park every now and then. I had dinner at Ted's on Front Street. The place was pretty full, Bear's next store was even fuller. Folks were on the street, some heading into the music venue. On warm summer nights, this should be a pretty happening place. I'm due back to the city in September, UConn and the bookstore will be open. Very curious what the vibe will be like then.
I don't think anyone posted the link about it, and I can't find it, but more apartments are coming into downtown which is a plus. There should even more traffic than what's expected ATM. I can't even imagine when there's a game going at Dunkin Donuts Park AND a big concert at the XL Center. That's when Downtown Hartford will be the busiest it'll be since the Whalers were around, without a doubt. Should be great for businesses. I'm just bummed that the Hard Rock Hotel & Cafe might go under. The project has been silent for quite some time now. We lost a major money grabber and that's the kind of thing Hartford needs right now with potentially bankruptcy at their hands.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I don't think anyone posted the link about it, and I can't find it, but more apartments are coming into downtown which is a plus. There should even more traffic than what's expected ATM. I can't even imagine when there's a game going at Dunkin Donuts Park AND a big concert at the XL Center. That's when Downtown Hartford will be the busiest it'll be since the Whalers were around, without a doubt. Should be great for businesses. I'm just bummed that the Hard Rock Hotel & Cafe might go under. The project has been silent for quite some time now. We lost a major money grabber and that's the kind of thing Hartford needs right now with potentially bankruptcy at their hands.
The developer of the Hard Rock Hotel was Centerplan which the city threw off of the ballpark because of the many delays in opening the park. Sadly I think you can kiss that one goodbye. Hopefully something else will get built but until they settle the ballpark lawsuits, I doubt anything will happen. Jay

Old 04-27-2017, 07:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I don't think anyone posted the link about it, and I can't find it, but more apartments are coming into downtown which is a plus.
As a practical thing, is The Greenway Market enough to prevent downtown Hartford from being a food desert? With the debacle from the first ballpark developer, it doesn't look like mixed use space with a grocery store next to the ballpark is happening any time soon. I've never set foot in it but most small urban grocery stores tend to have very limited selection and extremely high prices. If you want to control your food and consumables cost, you have to do your bulk shopping elsewhere. If you lived downtown, I can't imagine where you'd do your bulk grocery shopping. For anything upscale, you'd have to drive to the suburbs.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
As a practical thing, is The Greenway Market enough to prevent downtown Hartford from being a food desert? With the debacle from the first ballpark developer, it doesn't look like mixed use space with a grocery store next to the ballpark is happening any time soon. I've never set foot in it but most small urban grocery stores tend to have very limited selection and extremely high prices. If you want to control your food and consumables cost, you have to do your bulk shopping elsewhere. If you lived downtown, I can't imagine where you'd do your bulk grocery shopping. For anything upscale, you'd have to drive to the suburbs.
From what I have read in online reviews, Greenway does fully serve the daily needs of the residents downtown. You are right though that the bulk items need to be bought elsewhere but most downtown residents are single or married couples only who eat out a lot so the need for a lot of that is limited. A couple of comments noted they use a delivery service like Peapod so even that is not a big deal. And downtown is the starting point for a massive bus network so residents can take buses to any of the major shopping districts in the suburbs easily if need be. CTfastrak has a stop right next to the New Park Avenue Stop & Shop so as long as you can carry it, a resident should not have a problem. Jay

Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And downtown is the starting point for a massive bus network so residents can take buses to any of the major shopping districts in the suburbs easily if need be.
It's tough to do your bulk shopping using a bus. As a practical thing, you're limited to two nylon shopping bags. Good point about PeaPod though Stop & Shop is a pretty horrible grocery store. It's the closest store for me. I use it as a convenience store when I only need a few items.

You can always rent a car. With a Hertz prepaid weekend rate, you can rent a car for 3 days for $75.00. If you can walk to work and the city has critical mass with food and entertainment options, it's kind of pointless owning a car. That's more challenging in New York where it's harder to rent a car on weekends than midweek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut