Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2016, 12:28 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Where on Franklin Avenue? There's already a mosque on Franklin Avenue. It's across the street from Carbones which is off of Goodrich Street.
We are probably thinking of the same building. This building has 2 "castle style spires" on each end. Thats why i think its a mosque. But i didnt see any signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 01:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
We are probably thinking of the same building. This building has 2 "castle style spires" on each end. Thats why i think its a mosque. But i didnt see any signs.
I remember driving past it awhile ago and seeing graffiti all over the front of the building by the door. I saw pallets and wooden boards in the parking lot so maybe they're doing renovations and reopening it? The parking lot is empty practically every time I drive by it too. You're right that the building doesn't have signs or an official name but I heard some people call it a Bosnian-American Islamic Cultural Center.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:02 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
I remember driving past it awhile ago and seeing graffiti all over the front of the building by the door. I saw pallets and wooden boards in the parking lot so maybe they're doing renovations and reopening it? The parking lot is empty practically every time I drive by it too. You're right that the building doesn't have signs or an official name but I heard some people call it a Bosnian-American Islamic Cultural Center.
That's interesting as I wouldn't think there's a lot of Bosnians in this area either. I know there is some in Rocky Hill, but that's really the only place I can think of. A lot of them work at Kohl's and some work at Stop & Shop in Rocky Hill.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's interesting as I wouldn't think there's a lot of Bosnians in this area either. I know there is some in Rocky Hill, but that's really the only place I can think of. A lot of them work at Kohl's and some work at Stop & Shop in Rocky Hill.
There aren't many left in Hartford but there were more Bosnians as well as Italians in the area nearly 20 years ago. I was a little skeptical myself so just a minute ago I googled it and I found this on the place.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html

Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Quote:
There aren't many left in Hartford but there were more Bosnians as well as Italians in the area nearly 20 years ago. I was a little skeptical myself so just a minute ago I googled it and I found this on the place.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.coura...story,amp.html
5 or 6 years ago I worked claims for a little while in Hartford. I did meet a fair number of Bosnian and Italians still living in the south end.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
The State has developed a plan for a $250 million upgrade to the XL Center. The plan would significantly expand and upgrade the existing center to a like-new facility capable of accommodating professional sports. This has been a long term goal for the city and the state and the plan is significantly cheaper than building a completely new facility. What do you think? Jay

Transformation of XL Center on tap at Nov. 29 hearing | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The State has developed a plan for a $250 million upgrade to the XL Center. The plan would significantly expand and upgrade the existing center to a like-new facility capable of accommodating professional sports. This has been a long term goal for the city and the state and the plan is significantly cheaper than building a completely new facility. What do you think? Jay

Transformation of XL Center on tap at Nov. 29 hearing | HartfordBusiness.com
Not many details being offered in the article. But this makes far more sense than trying to purchase land and then develop it with a new arena. And a lot less expensive.

Expanding the seating capacity is a must if Hartford wants to attract a NHL or NBA team. Adding at least 1,500 seats for sports would make the building far more attractive to pro leagues and would bring it in line with the average seating capacity of current buildings presently in use in both leagues.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 AM

228 posts, read 264,541 times
I think there is zero chance the NBA will put a team in Hartford.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:00 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
I think there is zero chance the NBA will put a team in Hartford.
Yeah I agree but there are a fair number of concerts that happen there where the seating gets tight.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Not many details being offered in the article. But this makes far more sense than trying to purchase land and then develop it with a new arena. And a lot less expensive.

Expanding the seating capacity is a must if Hartford wants to attract a NHL or NBA team. Adding at least 1,500 seats for sports would make the building far more attractive to pro leagues and would bring it in line with the average seating capacity of current buildings presently in use in both leagues.
No NHL or NBA teams are moving to Hartford. That ship sailed 20 years ago. Frankly, I'm not really sure spending a quarter of a billion dollars that the state doesn't have on renovating the XL Center makes a ton of sense. Its not like UConn is going to stop playing basketball games there if they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut