Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 10:49 AM

6,140 posts, read 5,111,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
There is no comparison between Providence and Hartford. Providence is heads above Hartford. I lived in Providence and visit very often. Even during the summer when the many colleges are not in session it is still buzzing with people. I'm speaking about downtown. Federal Hill is also something to take in. The around Brown is very nice as well see Thayer Steet which is awesome.

Hartford has a decent downtown but nothing like Providence. Those that think the mall is a draw are mistaken. The mall is nice and dying which everyone knows. Check out the the arcade and see what is the new normal for Providence.
Amen! And you didn't even mention the Hope St restaurant district which is my favorite.

I'll also add that I've never felt unsafe driving through the city...even the west side which is supposedly the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM

11 posts, read 20,432 times
Is Hartford ever going to get another skyscraper? Not a single one has been built since the recession.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple87 View Post
Is Hartford ever going to get another skyscraper? Not a single one has been built since the recession.
There's been 2 since the time around the Great Recession. Hartford 21 and the Hartford Marriott. I don't see any office buildings being built since we have more than enough. Goodwin Square was the last one to be built which was completed in 1989-1990. That building alone is nearly 50% occupied while CityPlace (tallest building in the state) is nearly full at roughly 98-99% occupied. The only site that has potential at the moment is where the old WFSB building was which is across the street from One State Street. That site has been looked at many times and a apartment tower a little smaller than Hartford 21 is highly possible. The Hartford Rock Cafe Hotel & Cafe may be a decently tall building if it's ever going to be built.

Even if nothing is built within the next 10 years which I doubt will be the case then at least we have a good amount of tall buildings especially for a small city like Hartford. We are the only city in the country that has 3 buildings over 500ft and a population under 200k. That's impressive. Hartford's not as hot as Stamford right now when it comes to high rise development. 2 of Stamfords tallest buildings are being built right now.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:00 PM

6,140 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Looks like some good news finally. There's hope of the stadium being ready for the 2017 season!

New Contractor Chosen To Finish Hartford Ballpark; Work Expected To Resume Next Week - Hartford Courant

Old 09-29-2016, 06:02 PM

504 posts, read 385,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
There's been 2 since the time around the Great Recession. Hartford 21 and the Hartford Marriott. I don't see any office buildings being built since we have more than enough. Goodwin Square was the last one to be built which was completed in 1989-1990. That building alone is nearly 50% occupied while CityPlace (tallest building in the state) is nearly full at roughly 98-99% occupied. The only site that has potential at the moment is where the old WFSB building was which is across the street from One State Street. That site has been looked at many times and a apartment tower a little smaller than Hartford 21 is highly possible. The Hartford Rock Cafe Hotel & Cafe may be a decently tall building if it's ever going to be built.

Even if nothing is built within the next 10 years which I doubt will be the case then at least we have a good amount of tall buildings especially for a small city like Hartford. We are the only city in the country that has 3 buildings over 500ft and a population under 200k. That's impressive. Hartford's not as hot as Stamford right now when it comes to high rise development. 2 of Stamfords tallest buildings are being built right now.
Interesting read on what Hartford would of looked like had all the proposed skyscrapers been built.

https://chs.org/2014/11/hartford-supposed/

Old 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Interesting read on what Hartford would of looked like had all the proposed skyscrapers been built.

https://chs.org/2014/11/hartford-supposed/
Yup I remember when the Cutter Financial Center was going to be built. In 1990 there was a high demand for office space and if this was built it would've been the tallest in New England by far. To this day it still would be the tallest at roughly 900 feet. It's incredible that a city of that size was able to attract such large development. In the long run I think it's was a better idea for it not to be built since there was a recession shortly after it was proposed. The project was cancelled because of that and Hartford slowly declined afterwards. The city "somewhat" bounced back around 2005 once the convention center was built and business has returned (for the most part). Vacancy is low right now which is a plus but it would be MUCH higher if that 900 foot mammoth was constructed.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
Article in the Courant says Center Plan is suing to stop new contractor on the stadium. Oh what fun.
Former Developer Takes Steps To Keep Work Stopped At Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Courant

Old 09-30-2016, 01:30 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Article in the Courant says Center Plan is suing to stop new contractor on the stadium. Oh what fun.
Former Developer Takes Steps To Keep Work Stopped At Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Courant
Who didn't see that coming? Jay

Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Yup I remember when the Cutter Financial Center was going to be built. In 1990 there was a high demand for office space and if this was built it would've been the tallest in New England by far. To this day it still would be the tallest at roughly 900 feet. It's incredible that a city of that size was able to attract such large development. In the long run I think it's was a better idea for it not to be built since there was a recession shortly after it was proposed. The project was cancelled because of that and Hartford slowly declined afterwards. The city "somewhat" bounced back around 2005 once the convention center was built and business has returned (for the most part). Vacancy is low right now which is a plus but it would be MUCH higher if that 900 foot mammoth was constructed.
Hartford's biggest problem has been that many of its major employers like The Hartford, Travelers and Aetna strongly embraced the work-from-home movement so there was little need for the massive blocks of office space they once had. This is why companies like Aetna and The Hartford were able to vacate their massive suburban complexes and bring many divisions back into their home complexes in Hartford. Then you had the stupid Bigger-is-Better banking movement which destroyed all the smaller regional and state banks like CBT leaving empty space as well. I do wonder however if Cutter had been built, if some of the companies that moved out of Hartford may have stayed including Voya and WFSB. The good thing though is that much of the vacant space in Hartford is now turning into residential which will help fight dead-after-five feel the city had not too long ago. Jay

Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford's biggest problem has been that many of its major employers like The Hartford, Travelers and Aetna strongly embraced the work-from-home movement so there was little need for the massive blocks of office space they once had. This is why companies like Aetna and The Hartford were able to vacate their massive suburban complexes and bring many divisions back into their home complexes in Hartford. Then you had the stupid Bigger-is-Better banking movement which destroyed all the smaller regional and state banks like CBT leaving empty space as well. I do wonder however if Cutter had been built, if some of the companies that moved out of Hartford may have stayed including Voya and WFSB. The good thing though is that much of the vacant space in Hartford is now turning into residential which will help fight dead-after-five feel the city had not too long ago. Jay
The big employers can't seem to decide what they want for office space. Travelers did a lot of work from home for a while then pulled back to Hartford but then shifted some of that back over to Windsor and Bloomfield. The Hartford did something similar and moved people back into Hartford from Farmington then shifted some to work from home and that new giant building on Day hill Rd on the Windsor Bloomfield line. Not sure why they are moving people around so much. I have family working for both companies, and each has moved to multiple building in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut