Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 07:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Actually cities like Milwaukee and Baltimore are closer to larger metro areas than Hartford is to Boston.

My guess is it has more to do with politics than anything. Both Boston and NYC view CT is their territory and they've probably actively petitioned to keep teams out of Hartford for that reason.

There is something like 2 million people within a 30 mile radius of Hartford. This includes the New Haven area and Springfield markets. The area is not lacking for potential fans.

I see it this way. The NBA and NHL could still work in Hartford. During the winter people are not going to drive to Boston or NYC to see a game with winter weather. Given the popularity of high school and college basketball in CT it is a no brainer that a NBA team could be supported.
The state of ct couldnt support a major league sports team due to the fact of its money issues. State and city level. Look at st.Louis. they didnt have the money to do what the nfl wanted them to do and now they don't have a team. Same goes for Oakland. They play in the same staduim as baseball and nfl doesnt want that so they are prolly going to lose that team if they dont dish out money. It takes alot of money to run these types of operations.

But if a city was to get a professional team i would say the bridgeport area due to its closer to where the money is and also its more populated metro (being close to nyc helps)

Also if a professional sport team was to come ct wouldn't get the big events like allstar weekend, superbowl ect. You have to have so many thousands and thousands of hotel rooms within a certain distance of the staduim. I forgot the number but it is alot and no city in ct has the amount of hotel rooms to support it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 08:15 AM

413 posts, read 317,925 times
The real problem with Hartford is Connecticut is pretty stagnant both in population and economically. The market is headed in the wrong direction.The corporations that are the luxury box buyers and the life blood of major league sports are running for the border.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:17 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
This is not exactly in Hartford but it looks like New Britain based Stanley-Black & Decker is proposing a massive technology park for some properties they own in the city. I knew this had been talked about for a while now but it looks like things are moving forward which is good. May help the Hardware City improve things. Jay

Stanley eyes $500M N. Britain tech park | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 11-21-2016, 08:20 AM

And neighboring Bloomfield appears to be experiencing a boom in construction as well with a number of residential and commercial developments under construction or in the planning stages. Sounds very good for the Hartford region overall. Jay

Bloomfield's development spurt tinged with housing | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 PM

Positive article about Hartford economic development. There are some good things happening in the city. It's kind of long.

Hartford Focuses on Bringing Life to Downtown

Old 12-06-2016, 01:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is not exactly in Hartford but it looks like New Britain based Stanley-Black & Decker is proposing a massive technology park for some properties they own in the city. I knew this had been talked about for a while now but it looks like things are moving forward which is good. May help the Hardware City improve things. Jay

Stanley eyes $500M N. Britain tech park | HartfordBusiness.com
I wonder if the developers know that this site is within a 1/2 mile of a housing project (Mt Pleasant) which isn't pretty. I also wonder if they plan to recruit employees from this project to help them pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Otherwise the Myrtle St side is just an industrial wasteland which probably doesn't matter to them.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Looks like the vacant building on Pearl and Trumbull will be converted to apartments. Same company that rehabbed the old Sonesta Hotel on Constitution Plaza. I think this is the missing piece of the puzzle on Trumbull. With the ball park at one end and Bushnell Park on the other and the XL Center in the middle, this could develop into the 24 hour corridor the city really needs.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Looks like the vacant building on Pearl and Trumbull will be converted to apartments. Same company that rehabbed the old Sonesta Hotel on Constitution Plaza. I think this is the missing piece of the puzzle on Trumbull. With the ball park at one end and Bushnell Park on the other and the XL Center in the middle, this could develop into the 24 hour corridor the city really needs.
I agree. Here is an article on this proposed project. Hopefully it will come together. Jay

Project reset looms for 101-111 Pearl sites | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-08-2016, 12:35 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Alot of deveoploments in Hartford lately

Developers Planning Apartments in Long Dormant Downtown Hartford Buildings - Hartford Courant

Plan To Remake Hartford's Union Station Doesn't Include Trains - Courant Community

Old 12-08-2016, 12:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Here is an article on this proposed project. Hopefully it will come together. Jay

Project reset looms for 101-111 Pearl sites | HartfordBusiness.com
Looks good. 101-111 Pearl Street is by the heart of downtown so this will sell out quickly if they fix it up. 101
Pearl was built back in the early 70's so it's not too old but it's been vacant since the 80's. It houses the Hartford Police Museum as a side usage so I'm not sure how that'll hold up. Hopefully it doesn't end up like this, where it turns to failure once again:
Idle Pearl St. towers' $43M housing makeover nears | HartfordBusiness.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut