Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times

Advertisements

They keep throwing numbers around re: busway ridership but in 18 months the state has yet to release any kind of official, audited numbers. Until that happens, these numbers mean nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:32 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I agree. I think this was covered in the transportation thread not long ago...I raised the point that I challenge anyone to show numbers that congestion on I-84 eastbound has gotten better since the Busway. They keep fairly accurate counts of car traffic per day through various sections (and if they didn't until now, surely they've been doing so for the reconstruction project). If the numbers or commuting times had gotten better, don't you think the DOT would be touting that by now?
What makes you think CT DOT counts traffic every day. They do not. They have a regular program for counting traffic at select locations on state roads once every three years. For the Aetna project they did a massive traffic count program in and around Hartford but that was on one day and cost a lot of money. To continuously do that would be insanely expensive and a complete waste of money.

In case you haven't noticed, traffic fluctuates. Traffic volumes go up and down each day. One day the numbers will be different than the next. Also the state does not measure travel times. And like volumes, speeds and travel times fluctuate. The data you ask for would be costly to obtain with any real certainty of accuracy. Jay

Old 08-31-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
They keep throwing numbers around re: busway ridership but in 18 months the state has yet to release any kind of official, audited numbers. Until that happens, these numbers mean nothing.
Audited numbers? Do you think this is a tax return? And what form would you like to see these numbers in to believe them? The state has to report ridership to the Federal Transit Agancy so it can't forge the numbers. I doubt Malloy would make up numbers when the FTA checks them. Jay

Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes you think CT DOT counts traffic every day. They do not. They have a regular program for counting traffic at select locations on state roads once every three years. For the Aetna project they did a massive traffic count program in and around Hartford but that was on one day and cost a lot of money. To continuously do that would be insanely expensive and a complete waste of money.

In case you haven't noticed, traffic fluctuates. Traffic volumes go up and down each day. One day the numbers will be different than the next. Also the state does not measure travel times. And like volumes, speeds and travel times fluctuate. The data you ask for would be costly to obtain with any real certainty of accuracy. Jay
These are not exotic or extraordinary metrics, Jay. CT DOT in fact does track them all over the state:

ConnDOT: Traffic Monitoring Volume Information

My only point is that similar metrics no doubt exist or are being looked at for the New Britain/Hartford stretch of I-84. It would be interesting to corroborate whether the ridership has any impact on the traffic counts. It's a very fair question, in fact the very basis of how the busway was justified. If the state is not releasing these numbers, it should raise some eyebrows.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
These are not exotic or extraordinary metrics, Jay. CT DOT in fact does track them all over the state:

My only point is that similar metrics no doubt exist or are being looked at for the New Britain/Hartford stretch of I-84. It would be interesting to corroborate whether the ridership has any impact on the traffic counts. It's a very fair question, in fact the very basis of how the busway was justified. If the state is not releasing these numbers, it should raise some eyebrows.
Yeah, did you actually look at those numbers? They are based on counts taken every three years. They are not continuous.

Again, I am not sure what you expect or want on CTfastrak. The link below gives you the ridership figures. Here is also a link to the CTfastrak One Year Report. It shows ridership numbers. This shows the riders on the service. If you want more, then research it further or heck, even contact CT Transit for the numbers as their website indicates. Jay

ConnDOT: CTfastrak

http://ctfastrak.com/files/CTfastrak...One_Report.pdf

Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:

I don't think the busway was marketed as a way to reduce traffic. I think it was marketed as a way to remove buses from the highway and to make commuting times lower. Such as, Bristol to Hartford was 40 mins reduced to 30 mins. ( I do not know the actual times, but I'm sure the data exists )

Also, if you want to get crazy one can probably argue that the busway increased traffic on i-84 because more cars can fit on the road now that the buses have been removed.

I drive by the New Britain station a few times a week and there's a lot of activity there especially during rush hour(s). Not sure where these people are coming from or going to, because there's no jobs in downtown New Britain. I'd imagine it has removed people from the local bus routes though.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't think the busway was marketed as a way to reduce traffic. I think it was marketed as a way to remove buses from the highway and to make commuting times lower. Such as, Bristol to Hartford was 40 mins reduced to 30 mins. ( I do not know the actual times, but I'm sure the data exists )
This would be news to me and a lot of people! I was in CT during the planning and commentary stages of this project...I don't have time to dig up links to old articles that clearly talked about reducing congestion on I-84, but I'm sure they can be found.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 AM

167 posts, read 125,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Probably because of it's name and its staff has done a fantastic job getting the teams name out there. It's gotten not just statewide attention but national attention.
International even! I'm half the world away and I've been paying attention to Yard Goats. The brand is cool. Although they might've first grabbed my attention because of Hartford's stadia drama(s). That aspect of Hartford is also getting internationally famous.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
This would be news to me and a lot of people! I was in CT during the planning and commentary stages of this project...I don't have time to dig up links to old articles that clearly talked about reducing congestion on I-84, but I'm sure they can be found.
Did you even attend any of the public information meetings that were held for the project? I did, so I heard what was expected and a reduction in traffic on I-84 and adjacent streets was only part of it. It was NEVER going to solve the problems on I-84 west of Hartford. The problems are too big and complex to be solvable by one relatively small project.

The busway gives commuters a much needed option for travel into and out of Hartford. It provides reliable regulated bus service times because buses no longer have to sit in traffic on I-84 with the rest of the commuters (haven't you seen the CTfastrak commercials where a woman talks about now being home at a guaranteed time from work for her kids now?).

I think a lot of your perception of the busway is based on the naysayers who suddenly came out of the woodwork just before construction began on the project. Those people including some really uninformed politicians, just spewed out venom on their perception of what is the first major mass transit project for Hartford. They wrongly claimed the money for the busway could be used for improving I-84 (it can't) and they gave a lot of shaky reasons why it would not work. They also said it was too expensive but failed to mention that much of that expense was going to fix some significant problems on roadways in the area (the Flatbush Avenue rail crossing) or for some nice amenities like the New Britain trail.

Fortunately Malloy saw through the BS and went forward with the well planned, long vetted project and today we have a system that is doing better than it was hoped. Not sure why you don't see the value in that. Jay

Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Did you even attend any of the public information meetings that were held for the project? I did, so I heard what was expected and a reduction in traffic on I-84 and adjacent streets was only part of it. It was NEVER going to solve the problems on I-84 west of Hartford. The problems are too big and complex to be solvable by one relatively small project.

The busway gives commuters a much needed option for travel into and out of Hartford. It provides reliable regulated bus service times because buses no longer have to sit in traffic on I-84 with the rest of the commuters (haven't you seen the CTfastrak commercials where a woman talks about now being home at a guaranteed time from work for her kids now?).

I think a lot of your perception of the busway is based on the naysayers who suddenly came out of the woodwork just before construction began on the project. Those people including some really uninformed politicians, just spewed out venom on their perception of what is the first major mass transit project for Hartford. They wrongly claimed the money for the busway could be used for improving I-84 (it can't) and they gave a lot of shaky reasons why it would not work. They also said it was too expensive but failed to mention that much of that expense was going to fix some significant problems on roadways in the area (the Flatbush Avenue rail crossing) or for some nice amenities like the New Britain trail.

Fortunately Malloy saw through the BS and went forward with the well planned, long vetted project and today we have a system that is doing better than it was hoped. Not sure why you don't see the value in that. Jay
In fairness, this is probably the case. But this opposition included highly respected officials such as Mayor Slifka of my town, West Hartford, who presumably did have all the facts at their disposal. So I didn't attend hearings granted, but was in touch with what our town people thought of and still think of this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut