Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 12:26 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
These guys need to walk around this area especially at night. No one is going to pay 200k-500k for a house on the edge of a ghetto. Nor will they pay high rents.

I always thought it was funny that the area surrounding the CT Supreme Court (especially behind it) is a huge ghetto. It's been that way at least since the 1980's and I don't think its going to change ever.
They said the same thing about apartments being built downtown but yet they are all filling up and faster than anyone thought or hoped. There is a definite move going on back into cities and the Bushnell area is prime for expanding the success of downtown housing into the area.

The neighborhood you mention is called Frog Hollow and I would hardly call it a ghetto. It is a bit sketchy but it has some really interesting architecture. That neighborhood has some potential to improve but who know how long that will take. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 01:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The neighborhood you mention is called Frog Hollow and I would hardly call it a ghetto. It is a bit sketchy but it has some really interesting architecture. That neighborhood has some potential to improve but who know how long that will take. Jay
Go to "frog hollow" at night and then report back here and tell us how safe it is. Not only is frog hollow a ghetto its a "super ghetto" and has been that way for at least 30 years.

The area directly next to the CT Supreme Court may not be "ghetto" but when you live on the edge of a ghetto the crime bleeds into other areas. Ghetto people DO NOT stay in their ghettos.

No one is going to pay top dollar rent on an apt or buy a house on the edge of a ghetto. Especially in Hartford where the mill rate is approx 75. This isn't NYC where there's a shortage of affordable rents/houses.

Hartford actually has some decent neighborhoods, but we rarely here about them here or in the media.

For example, one area I always liked is some of the side streets off of Franklin Ave next to the Wethersfield border. That would be a super convenient area with a lot of stores/amenities within walking distance. There's also a school there, not sure if its elementary or middle school though.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Go to "frog hollow" at night and then report back here and tell us how safe it is. Not only is frog hollow a ghetto its a "super ghetto" and has been that way for at least 30 years.

The area directly next to the CT Supreme Court may not be "ghetto" but when you live on the edge of a ghetto the crime bleeds into other areas. Ghetto people DO NOT stay in their ghettos.

No one is going to pay top dollar rent on an apt or buy a house on the edge of a ghetto. Especially in Hartford where the mill rate is approx 75. This isn't NYC where there's a shortage of affordable rents/houses.

Hartford actually has some decent neighborhoods, but we rarely here about them here or in the media.

For example, one area I always liked is some of the side streets off of Franklin Ave next to the Wethersfield border. That would be a super convenient area with a lot of stores/amenities within walking distance. There's also a school there, not sure if its elementary or middle school though.

North Hartford is worst Albany Ave corridor and side streets

Old 08-15-2016, 04:35 PM

503 posts, read 530,924 times
Quote:
I tried to check out Little River Restoratives for the first time last night, not realizing they are closed on Sundays. The neighborhood seemed very ghetto to me as I drove around the block to find parking and I was already uncomfortable leaving my car there. Then in the 30 seconds it took me to get from my car to the bar, a sketchy guy wearing a bike helmet approached me, saying he was just robbed of his bike and phone and needed money for a bus. Seemed genuinely distraught, although it could have easily been a scam. Either way, it's a bad area and I won't be back.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM

This should make a nice addition to the Park Street area. Jay

Hartford's Hog River tap room on tap with Saturday opening | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 08-19-2016, 01:48 PM

The latest on Dunkin Donuts Stadium. While it sounds like a lot of work needed, for a project as large and complex as this one, I do not necessarily think it is. Of course that is now for the attornies to argue over. Jay

Hartford Stadium Problems: From Leaks To Missing Rails To Slanted Flag Pole - Hartford Courant

Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,787 times
Quote:
The latest on Dunkin Donuts Stadium. While it sounds like a lot of work needed, for a project as large and complex as this one, I do not necessarily think it is. Of course that is now for the attornies to argue over. Jay

Hartford Stadium Problems: From Leaks To Missing Rails To Slanted Flag Pole - Hartford Courant
S__t show. How do you install wrong urinals and how is the flag pole not straight? Hartford clearly can't have nice things.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:

How do you install the wrong urinals? LOL.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:16 AM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Political correctness--probably going for gender-neutral now!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:30 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Probably installed the urinals in the ladies room. However, instead of just changing the signs (ladies room to mens room) since this is a Govt project they had to do it the hard way. In addition they probably had 14 committees and had to order new cover sheets for all the new TPS reports this change would generate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut