Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 AM

504 posts, read 385,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Yup I remember when the Cutter Financial Center was going to be built. In 1990 there was a high demand for office space and if this was built it would've been the tallest in New England by far. To this day it still would be the tallest at roughly 900 feet. It's incredible that a city of that size was able to attract such large development. In the long run I think it's was a better idea for it not to be built since there was a recession shortly after it was proposed. The project was cancelled because of that and Hartford slowly declined afterwards. The city "somewhat" bounced back around 2005 once the convention center was built and business has returned (for the most part). Vacancy is low right now which is a plus but it would be MUCH higher if that 900 foot mammoth was constructed.
Yeah there probably would of been a high vacancy. Although had they been built it could turned into more residential property for the city? Hell of a lot better than having surface parking lots. I'll tell you one thing Hartford would of had a bad ass skyline. Damn what could of been!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Yeah there probably would of been a high vacancy. Although had they been built it could turned into more residential property for the city? Hell of a lot better than having surface parking lots. I'll tell you one thing Hartford would of had a bad ass skyline. Damn what could of been!!!
Although a 900 foot skyscraper is massive, could you imagine how weird and unproportional the skyline would have been? The closest height would be the already existing 535 foot CityPlace. A height difference of nearly 400 feet wouldn't be nice looking IMO. I think what we have right now is nice and to be honest I think low rise 5-6 story buildings to fill in the dozens of eyesore surface parking lots would be a good start.

As for the vacancy rate, I doubt the office space would be converted to apartments. If this was built in 1990, remember that living in downtown Hartford wasn't really a "thing" yet. Not many people lived in downtown and during this time Hartford's crime rate was near its highest. Although downtown was still somewhat safe, there weren't many amenities for downtown residents like there are now. I think the high vacancy rate would have good for renters since the property owners could reduce rents or create new incentives to attract companies. So who knows what could've happened. Even if apartments were built within the tower I think the only part of the building that would be converted would be the top floors. I personally can't imagine a 900 foot tower full of only apartments. That would be too risky in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Although a 900 foot skyscraper is massive, could you imagine how weird and unproportional the skyline would have been? The closest height would be the already existing 535 foot CityPlace. A height difference of nearly 400 feet wouldn't be nice looking IMO. I think what we have right now is nice and to be honest I think low rise 5-6 story buildings to fill in the dozens of eyesore surface parking lots would be a good start.

As for the vacancy rate, I doubt the office space would be converted to apartments. If this was built in 1990, remember that living in downtown Hartford wasn't really a "thing" yet. Not many people lived in downtown and during this time Hartford's crime rate was near its highest. Although downtown was still somewhat safe, there weren't many amenities for downtown residents like there are now. I think the high vacancy rate would have good for renters since the property owners could reduce rents or create new incentives to attract companies. So who knows what could've happened. Even if apartments were built within the tower I think the only part of the building that would be converted would be the top floors. I personally can't imagine a 900 foot tower full of only apartments. That would be too risky in my opinion.
Well I guess we'll never know either way.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM

413 posts, read 317,925 times
Front Street Lofts are now at 98% full. This is much faster than anyone expected and shows the desirability of downtown living. Because of the success of the new building, Front Street will begin construction of another new apartment building this spring on Arch street just west of the Arch Street Cafe. It should come on line in a year.

The over all apartment occupant rate downtown is at 3.5% which is considered full because of the movement of renters into and out of apartments.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 20,420 times

Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
is it done finally?

outfield seating looks excessive, those will never be filled

Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
is it done finally?

outfield seating looks excessive, those will never be filled
I don't think so last report I heard was crews just started actual work again yesterday, should be finished around New Year if things go as planned.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 PM

413 posts, read 317,925 times
Nice article today on the Goodwin Hotel renovation. Looks to be a first class job. A new French Restaurant will open on the ground floor. Work is ongoing and the place will open in 2017. Next year should bring big changes to the city. The revamped hotel, UConn opens to students on Front Street. A new bookstore, Barnes and Noble will open and finally the ball park will be done. Lot's going to happen.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:59 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
It looks like Hartford's first "micro" apartment project is a big success. The owner/developer is interested in doing more of them downtown. This may be even more successful once UConn moves its campus downtown next year and students there begin to seek apartments near the campus. Will see. Jay

Hartford’s first — likely not the last — ‘micro’ apts. bow | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Nice view, but way to many parking lots in background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut