Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Yeah I agree but there are a fair number of concerts that happen there where the seating gets tight.
I believe their hope is to attract another major league hockey team, not basketball. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
No NHL or NBA teams are moving to Hartford. That ship sailed 20 years ago. Frankly, I'm not really sure spending a quarter of a billion dollars that the state doesn't have on renovating the XL Center makes a ton of sense. Its not like UConn is going to stop playing basketball games there if they don't.
You never know. Look at Oakland, St. Louis and LA with the NFL. Times and circumstances change. If marketing studies indicate a team can be supported in CT and western MA, they can attract a team. The only reason the Whalers left town is that Karmanos made up his mind the moment he bought the team he wanted it out of here. The Whalers were averaging about 13,000 fans a game despite being a fairly poor team and were making a small profit. Put a half way decent team on the ice and the place will sell out like it did in the mid 1980's.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I believe their hope is to attract another major league hockey team, not basketball. Jay
Dream on

Old 11-17-2016, 08:16 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You never know. Look at Oakland, St. Louis and LA with the NFL. Times and circumstances change. If marketing studies indicate a team can be supported in CT and western MA, they can attract a team. The only reason the Whalers left town is that Karmanos made up his mind the moment he bought the team he wanted it out of here. The Whalers were averaging about 13,000 fans a game despite being a fairly poor team and were making a small profit. Put a half way decent team on the ice and the place will sell out like it did in the mid 1980's.
The issue with the Hartford market is that it's too close to Boston and NYC. Also, our market is hardly growing at all. Other markets have massive population growth and can attract more fans IMO. The NHL wants to expand their base to other parts of the country where hockey isn't popular yet like Las Vegas or parts of the south. An NHL team coming back isn't impossible but in order for that to happen everyone would have dedicate hard work to make it real. The reality is that people here have given up and believe they'll never come back.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The issue with the Hartford market is that it's too close to Boston and NYC. Also, our market is hardly growing at all. Other markets have massive population growth and can attract more fans IMO. The NHL wants to expand their base to other parts of the country where hockey isn't popular yet like Las Vegas or parts of the south. An NHL team coming back isn't impossible but in order for that to happen everyone would have dedicate hard work to make it real. The reality is that people here have given up and believe they'll never come back.
I have to agree were a bit small and too close to other markets. Our only bet would be a team leaving Boston I think. I don't think sports are that great a driver thou. I do think the XL center needs a rehab as it's Hartford's best winter venue for large concerts and events that don't fit well in the convention center.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Actually cities like Milwaukee and Baltimore are closer to larger metro areas than Hartford is to Boston.

My guess is it has more to do with politics than anything. Both Boston and NYC view CT is their territory and they've probably actively petitioned to keep teams out of Hartford for that reason.

There is something like 2 million people within a 30 mile radius of Hartford. This includes the New Haven area and Springfield markets. The area is not lacking for potential fans.

I see it this way. The NBA and NHL could still work in Hartford. During the winter people are not going to drive to Boston or NYC to see a game with winter weather. Given the popularity of high school and college basketball in CT it is a no brainer that a NBA team could be supported.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:05 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Actually cities like Milwaukee and Baltimore are closer to larger metro areas than Hartford is to Boston.

My guess is it has more to do with politics than anything. Both Boston and NYC view CT is their territory and they've probably actively petitioned to keep teams out of Hartford for that reason.

There is something like 2 million people within a 30 mile radius of Hartford. This includes the New Haven area and Springfield markets. The area is not lacking for potential fans.

I see it this way. The NBA and NHL could still work in Hartford. During the winter people are not going to drive to Boston or NYC to see a game with winter weather. Given the popularity of high school and college basketball in CT it is a no brainer that a NBA team could be supported.
Milwaukee has no NHL team. Baltimore has neither NHL or NBA teams.
NY Tri State/New England is saturated with 3 NBA teams and 4 NHL teams. Never happening in Hartford.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Before we jump, let's just see how the Yard Goats do before we go adding a NHL team.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:03 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
This New York Times article discusses the innovation initiative in Hartford. Sounds promising. Jay

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/16...9f92e7eeaff138

Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Milwaukee has no NHL team. Baltimore has neither NHL or NBA teams.
NY Tri State/New England is saturated with 3 NBA teams and 4 NHL teams. Never happening in Hartford.
The point is that they have pro sports teams despite being in the shadows of far larger markets. The Hartford area has the population base living within a 30 mile radius to support at least one possibly two pro teams. After a new, modern arena is built or the XL Center is refurbished we'll see what happens. Perhaps Howard Baldwin will be willing to give it another shot at getting a team back in Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut