Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Stay in CT 19 24.05%
Move to OH 60 75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM

101 posts, read 111,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, we get 8 holidays as well. And actually our sick is separate too. Jay
Well if you have unlimited PTO then the holidays and sick days are a moot point.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM

101 posts, read 111,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We're starting this at my company. I don't pay people to sit in a chair for 8-10 hours a day. I pay them to meet objectives. I they are meeting their objectives, I don't care if they work from 2 AM until 10 PM every other Tuesday....

In a professional environment that is outcome-based unlimited PTO is not only possible, but advisable.

If you're not meeting your objectives, likewise, I don't care if you're working 24/7.
I would love to work for a company with this culture.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
To my surprise, everyone in my office agreed with my decision to move out of FFC. They were all sympathetic with my concerns regarding cost of living, traffic, lifestyle, etc., and said that I'm still young enough to make a change and that they don't blame me. Some of the more conservative folks said, "get out of CT while you can!"

Old 06-12-2015, 05:07 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,400,769 times
I hope you are still going to post on the ct forum nep?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I hope you are still going to post on the ct forum nep?
Of course. Everybody loves me.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:23 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Gee I missed the announcement that three major companies are definitely moving. Jay
poised to relocate does not definitely mean moving.

If Malloy ponies up a few billion, it should be enough to keep at least 1 or 2. 250k per job is minimum I'd expect it to take at AETNA or Travelers; GE corp hq may need 4x that.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
To my surprise, everyone in my office agreed with my decision to move out of FFC. They were all sympathetic with my concerns regarding cost of living, traffic, lifestyle, etc., and said that I'm still young enough to make a change and that they don't blame me. Some of the more conservative folks said, "get out of CT while you can!"
That does not surprise me at all.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,459,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Have what wrong?

Ok, I'm looking at that, then what?

No idea what you're saying. It seems that you are separating taxes (state and local) from COL. But they are not separable. It's like saying "I want Pizza without dough..."

Furthermore, aren't the other forms of taxation (sales tax, property tax, etc. etc.) part of the COL? So why not consider these?

We know he can get to deduct mortgage interest if he itemizes. This usually is about 21 cents to a dollar. In other words if I itemize $ 5k in mortgage interest, I basically get $ 1,050 off in tax.

So that $ 1,050 should enter the calulcation, among 35 other variables...

Now OP does a second spreadsheet -- which lists other factors, most non-financial, gives each a score, including the financial side, adds them up and voila -- that's his decision.

Mind you, OP did not really go through this. I don't doubt that he would move even for a worse offer. For Pete's sake, OP has moved before even without a job. He is a restless soul. Soon enough, he will move out of Columbus too.
The point is that Nep's taxable federal income, after itemized deductions, would have been higher in CT and therefore likely in a higher federal income tax bracket.

So, first, Nep must consider after-tax income reflecting not only the lower income in Ohio, but also the availability of deductible mortgage interest in place of a non-deductible rental payment, net combined federal and state income taxes in both states under each scenario, and the resulting after-tax income in each state.

Second, the net after-tax incomes in both states much be adjusted for the lower COL in Ohio. Only then will Nep know whether he is ahead or behind, also considering 401(k), CTO, etc.

Do you disagree with my point that after-tax income is a primary input to evaluating the financial wisdom of this decision?

I agree that the financial decision is not a simple one, and would involve some relatively sophisticated analysis.

Additionally, Nep could attempt to assign a monetary value to his expected improvement in his personal life.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The point is that Nep's taxable federal income, after itemized deductions, would have been higher in CT and therefore likely in a higher federal income tax bracket.

So, first, Nep must consider after-tax income reflecting not only the lower income in Ohio, but also the availability of deductible mortgage interest in place of a non-deductible rental payment, net combined federal and state income taxes in both states under each scenario, and the resulting after-tax income in each state.

Second, the net after-tax incomes in both states much be adjusted for the lower COL in Ohio. Only then will Nep know whether he is ahead or behind, also considering 401(k), CTO, etc.

Do you disagree with my point that after-tax income is a primary input to evaluating the financial wisdom of this decision?

I agree that the financial decision is not a simple one, and would involve some relatively sophisticated analysis.

Additionally, Nep could attempt to assign a monetary value to his expected improvement in his personal life.
I'm expecting my overall life satisfaction to be significantly, or massively improved. The more I think about it, the more I can't wait to make the move, and the more sense it makes.

I've got my extended stay hotel reserved for a good week so that I have a place to "live" while looking for an apartment.

Can't wait!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,234,372 times
I think you will do well there. Good luck nep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut