Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,823,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
You really need to know what the average pay is for the kind of work you will do, before you start negotiating. For instance, you might be able to live well on 65K/yr, but if you're going to be a PhD level university teacher/researcher, the pay should be double that. If you're going to be a receptionist, the pay would be half that.
LOL, wouldn't that be funny if the OP was applying for a tenure-track university teaching position and asked for $60k because that's what we told him he needs to earn in order to live comfortably in Hartford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 PM

4,463 posts, read 3,358,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucareshokiesrul View Post
Here is an estimate of of the minimum expenses someone would have if they lived in the Hartford area. Living Wage Calculator - Living Wage Calculation for Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT

In my experience, that website does a good job of estimating the minimum it takes to get by. You'll obviously want to make more than that, but it's a useful starting point.
That is an excellent site. There is another site by the state of CT and it shows hourly wages of different jobs throughout the state. I can't remember where it is. It was bookmarked on my old computer but will look for it.

Salaries, wants and needs are all relative.

Living wage single adult in Hartford: $24,440

People were telling this person they need $50,000 to $70,000 as a single person to have a decent life here in the Hartford area.

My siblings and our spouses all grew up in lower Fairfield County with 2 spouses from Greenwich. We were all lamenting how hard things are one day and my dad who grew up in the depression starting laughing. He said "You kids don't know how good you have it. You have no idea what it is like to be poor, you don't even know what it is like to be middle class, you are all very lucky here".

Our sense of wants and needs is very skewed here in CT and especially Fairfield County.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-06-2015 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 11:58 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That is an excellent site. There is another site by the state of CT and it shows hourly wages of different jobs throughout the state. I can't remember where it is. It was bookmarked on my old computer but will look for it.

Salaries, wants and needs are all relative.

Living wage single adult in Hartford: $24,440

People were telling this person they need $50,000 to $70,000 as a single person to have a decent life here in the Hartford area.

My siblings and our spouses all grew up in lower Fairfield County with 2 spouses from Greenwich. We were all lamenting how hard things are one day and my dad who grew up in the depression starting laughing. He said "You kids don't know how good you have it. You have no idea what it is like to be poor, you don't even know what it is like to be middle class, you are all very lucky here".

Our sense of wants and needs is very skewed here in CT and especially Fairfield County.
So true. I remember making a comment to my fathers best friend how easy it was back in the 50's and 60's and he laughed. He noted that wages were much lower back then and that the cost of food took a larger part of your salary. He said it was harder to make ends meet and there was a lot of uncertainty in the economy that people forget. Prices were rising and many of the things we take for granted today were only for the wealthy. Things back then were no where near as easy as they look from today. Jay

Old 08-07-2015, 12:06 PM

19 posts, read 17,569 times
Hello...thank you guy's for your comments.

I live in a small city with 250000 population.

A Flat with 2 Bedrooms 50m² (in the center of the city in a good area) : 500€ inclusive heating/electric
Food for one week 50€
to go to the cinema with eat by McDonads : 30€ one person
a good used car : 15000€
GAS: 1 liter 1,35€
Disel: 1 Liter 1,15€

I want the same standart live in USA that I have in Germany.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutup View Post

A Flat with 2 Bedrooms 50m² (in the center of the city in a good area) : 500€ inclusive heating/electric
Food for one week 50€

What field are you in or what kind of job do you have. Example finance, teacher etc? In Fairfield County people with solid middle class jobs struggle. But I bet up in the Hartford area if you have a solid middle class job you will live very comfortably. I would imagine you have either a solid middle class job or even more is you are transferring for your company.

Look at these beautiful apartments I found in Manchester which I believe is a very nice town. A one bedroom is $1000 and a 2 bedroom is $1200.

The Pavilions apartments Manchester, CT apartments University of Hartford apartments

Old 08-08-2015, 05:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:

Food for one week 50€

You still haven't said what you'll be doing to earn your money. We can't even compare with where you live because Germany is a country and Connecticut is a state.

You have to tell us what you plan on bringing to the state. From there, we can tell you what you can expect to find here, with what you bring.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 AM

I am a CNC - Turner with a additional qualification to certified engineer. I 've worked 10 years as a CNC Turner . After then I visited the technician school.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I am a CNC - Turner with a additional qualification to certified engineer. I 've worked 10 years as a CNC Turner . After then I visited the technician school.
CNC Turner Hartford area: $32,000

CNC Turner Salary in Hartford, CT | Indeed.com

Engineer Hartford area: $104,000

engineer Salary in Hartford, CT | Indeed.com

I am not sure in what capacity your job is at your company but if it is as an engineer they are in high demand in CT and do command large salaries. You will probably live a very nice life style in the Hartford area if you are an engineer.

I am not sure what a "Turner" is but I think it looks like a tool and die worker or maybe a sheet metal fabricator?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
CNC Turner Hartford area: $32,000

CNC Turner Salary in Hartford, CT | Indeed.com

Engineer Hartford area: $104,000

engineer Salary in Hartford, CT | Indeed.com

I am not sure in what capacity your job is at your company but if it is as an engineer they are in high demand in CT and do command large salaries. You will probably live a very nice life style in the Hartford area if you are an engineer.

I am not sure what a "Turner" is but I think it looks like a tool and die worker or maybe a sheet metal fabricator?

This is a CNC Turner : http://www.bonehamusa.com/wp-content...013/01/cnc.jpg.

Ranglist of Title in Germany:

1.Master of xxx
2.Bachelor of xxx
3.certified engineer
4.Worker (CNC-Turner)

Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 AM

CNC Turner Hartford area: $32,000 ---> after TAX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut