Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Average House Bridgeport: $177,000
Average House Fairfield: $500,000

A house in Fairfield is almost 3X more than Bridgeport. So logic would say a house on the water would be about 3X more in Fairfield than in Bridgeport....maybe more.

I was curious so I looked up houses on the water/LI Sound. All have a direct water view.

Black Rock.......1,095,000......6000 SF, 1.25 acres.......taxes of $51,711
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_31112608

Fairfield...........4,150,000......8300 SF, .83 acres.........taxes of $87,445
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
Fairfield...........4,100,000......7900 SF, .96 acre...........taxes of $78,436
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...177256879_zpid

The land value is what drives most of the price of a home on the water. The house in Black Rock has the most land. Those people better do some very good calculations on what the land and homes values might be before they want to jump ship to Fairfield. The grass is always greener.

I will never forget when I first moved to my house in the more northern section of Trumbull. I talked to people in the southern section who had 2X the house and more land. I went to the assessors office and I said "why are my taxes so high"? He simply answered "your land is worth much more even though it's smaller because you are in the northern part of Trumbull".
You haven't stumbled upon the find of the century here. Everyone knows Bridgeport is cheaper than Fairfield for obvious reasons. BR however is pretty expensive relative to Bridgeport proper.
Not sure what the grass is greener means in this context. Folks in the St Mary's mansion aren't jumping ship to direct waterfront in Fairfield for 3x the price for the same LI Sound views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 01:37 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Friends in town say that guy won't be in office much longer.
Yes, a lot of people I know in Fairfield are furious about the contaminated fill mess and blame him. I think the town will make a big change because of it. Personally I am surprised he even ran again. He has to know that, right or wrong, he’s going to take the blame. This however is off topic to the thread. Jay

Old 10-21-2019, 03:01 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Friends in town say that guy won't be in office much longer.
You think so? I am not sure how I feel about him. Even though he's a Democrat, he has worked hard to keep tax increases fairly low. Seems to be a decent person every time I met him. I am no longer a Fairfield resident however my parents are and I own property and actively invest there, so I am definitely interested in the election results.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:11 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
You think so? I am not sure how I feel about him. Even though he's a Democrat, he has worked hard to keep tax increases fairly low. Seems to be a decent person every time I met him. I am no longer a Fairfield resident however my parents are and I own property and actively invest there, so I am definitely interested in the election results.
I don't know, I don't live there.

Close friends in town are up in arms over the latest sewer taxes and contamination controversies Jay talked about. They say he's not a resident either or property owner or something to that extent, who knows.

He or the new guy won't be annexing parts of Bridgeport anytime soon.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, a lot of people I know in Fairfield are furious about the contaminated fill mess and blame him. I think the town will make a big change because of it. Personally I am surprised he even ran again. He has to know that, right or wrong, he’s going to take the blame. This however is off topic to the thread. Jay
I know the contaminated fill issue is definitely a hot topic but we'll see if that gets him booted from the office. Speaking of change in leadership, I am somewhat concerned about the future of Fairfield Metro. If the next round of leaders don't promote development in the area, it'll be wasted potential.

We know Joe Ganim is going to be coasting the victory so that bridge linkage with Black Rock should go through at the very least.

Sorry for going off topic, I have a vested interest in seeing Fairfield and Black Rock develop.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know, I don't live there.

Close friends in town are up in arms over the latest sewer taxes and contamination controversies Jay talked about. They say he's not a resident either or property owner or something to that extent, who knows.

He or the new guy won't be annexing parts of Bridgeport anytime soon.
He's not a property owner, rents a place in Fairfield Center. His house and car were vandalized, which is completely unacceptable.

https://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.c...d-14464452.php

Agreed, I am not expecting Black Rock to be annexed.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
He's not a property owner, rents a place in Fairfield Center. His house and car were vandalized, which is completely unacceptable.

https://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.c...d-14464452.php

Agreed, I am not expecting Black Rock to be annexed.
The house is in his wife’s name. A lot of attorneys do that to protect their assets. He grew up in town. His father, Fern Tetreau, was Andrew Warde’s football coach and a gym teacher for decades. Jay

Old 10-21-2019, 07:12 PM

982 posts, read 599,936 times
Just thought I'd add this has more to do with BPT than you might think since Tetreau was elected the leader of METROCOG.

I definetely see Kupchick using the Julian development scandal against him, but I don't think it'll cost him the election. We'll have to see though.

For any Fairfielders voting, here's an awesome website I've found: https://knowyourreps.org/
It shows how our town govt works and who's running for what position, even down to the RTM level! definitely a site to look at this month

Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Just thought I'd add this has more to do with BPT than you might think since Tetreau was elected the leader of METROCOG.

I definetely see Kupchick using the Julian development scandal against him, but I don't think it'll cost him the election. We'll have to see though.

For any Fairfielders voting, here's an awesome website I've found: https://knowyourreps.org/
It shows how our town govt works and who's running for what position, even down to the RTM level! definitely a site to look at this month
I’m not sure what Tetreau being the head of MetroCOG has to do with it. MetroCOG is the regional planning agency that was formerly called the Greater Bridgeport Regional Planning Agency and represents Bridgeport, Fairfield, Trumbull, Stratford, Easton and Monroe. The agency is run by a Board made up of one representative from each town. It is not unusual for that board to have its Chairman be the head of one of the larger towns in the region. Has little to do with Bridgeport other than the agency has offices there.

There is however a possible problem Kupchick though. I understand she is a member of a somewhat notorious local family. A few people are questioning whether they will vote for a member of that family since they don’t have a great reputation and bring some questionable baggage with her. Will see. Jay

Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 PM

982 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure what Tetreau being the head of MetroCOG has to do with it. MetroCOG is the regional planning agency that was formerly called the Greater Bridgeport Regional Planning Agency and represents Bridgeport, Fairfield, Trumbull, Stratford, Easton and Monroe. The agency is run by a Board made up of one representative from each town. It is not unusual for that board to have its Chairman be the head of one of the larger towns in the region. Has little to do with Bridgeport other than the agency has offices there.

There is however a possible problem Kupchick though. I understand she is a member of a somewhat notorious local family. A few people are questioning whether they will vote for a member of that family since they don’t have a great reputation and bring some questionable baggage with her. Will see. Jay
... I mean it's the regional planning organization. I think being the head of it is pretty important, especially since it's name is greater Bridgeport. I agree though, it doesn't have too much power but it's important to BPT as it helps design transportation projects. As these pick up in frequency I think the organization will have more significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut