Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:41 PM

14,138 posts, read 14,113,111 times

Advertisements

NEWARK, N.J. — A plan to transform the nation’s busiest commuter rail line has reached a milestone.

The Federal Railroad Administration on Tuesday released a draft environmental impact statement that looks at three alternatives for the Northeast Corridor between now and 2040.

The 457-mile Northeast Corridor is the site of regular delays on Amtrak and regional lines, due to 100-year-old infrastructure and crowded tracks.

Among the more ambitious improvements in consideration are a high-speed rail between Washington, D.C. and Boston; a new rail line connecting Hartford, Conn.; to Providence, R.I.; and a rail tunnel from Long Island to Connecticut.

Federal officials will hold a series of public hearings in December and January before picking one of the alternatives next spring for a final environmental review.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 PM

9,920 posts, read 7,789,913 times
I am game!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 AM

4,719 posts, read 6,007,793 times
Looks great, but will Congress authorize the funding to upgrade & improve the northeast corridor?

Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,615,542 times
In addition to proposed Providence to Hartford route, a train service proposal for Providence to Worcester is already in the final planning stages. The Boston Surface Railroad Co. is working on a final operating agreement with Providence and Worcester Railroad Co., which would operate the trains on its tracks, according to CEO Vincent Bono. The Arlington, MA company hopes to start private passenger rail service with daily trips between Worcester and Providence in 2017.

Link:
Boston Surface Railroad Company

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 AM

I remember reading a few years back, you can take a train from London to Paris - a distance of 300 miles where you also cross the English Channel - and it takes about 2 hours. So, an average speed of 150mph. Boston to NYC is 200 miles, and Amtrak's Acela Express takes 3 hours to make the trip, or 66 2/3 mph. Just imagine if they could double the speed to 133mph? Even 100mph would be a big improvement.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM

I don't know why the US doesn't utilize train service's to a greater extent. I mean there is faster models of trains. We probably can create technology for example that can melt snow during a blizzard still use the train.

I mean connecting Washington D.C. to Philadelphia to NYC to Long Island to Bridgeport/Danbury/New Haven/Waterbury/Middletown/New London/Hartford to Springfield/Providence to Boston is huge!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I don't know why the US doesn't utilize train service's to a greater extent. I mean there is faster models of trains. We probably can create technology for example that can melt snow during a blizzard still use the train.

I mean connecting Washington D.C. to Philadelphia to NYC to Long Island to Bridgeport/Danbury/New Haven/Waterbury/Middletown/New London/Hartford to Springfield/Providence to Boston is huge!
there are a lot of people in Congress that oppose trains run by the federal government, or even a quasi governmental organization - almost all of them are outside the Northeast Corridor. Or, they prefer the government spend money on roads and bridges instead of rail lines. (Let's face it, there isn't a big demand for people to go to Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, etc, so why should their senators and representatives support tax dollars being spent in areas 1000 or 2000 miles away that doesn't directly benefit their state. While it's short-sighted on their part, that is often their reasoning - then, they just conveniently forget they opposed this or the Hurricane Sandy rebuilding project when disaster strikes their state...)

Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 AM

^^^True to bad can't sell a 10 hour trip from NYC to LA

Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 PM

9,843 posts, read 7,577,742 times
How is the train going to get to White Plains?? The Harlem line (White Plains) is the only Metro North line that doesn't have access to Amtrak tracks. Are they going to send those out of Grand Central??

Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 PM

678 posts, read 853,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
there are a lot of people in Congress that oppose trains run by the federal government, or even a quasi governmental organization - almost all of them are outside the Northeast Corridor. Or, they prefer the government spend money on roads and bridges instead of rail lines. (Let's face it, there isn't a big demand for people to go to Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, etc, so why should their senators and representatives support tax dollars being spent in areas 1000 or 2000 miles away that doesn't directly benefit their state. While it's short-sighted on their part, that is often their reasoning - then, they just conveniently forget they opposed this or the Hurricane Sandy rebuilding project when disaster strikes their state...)
True, both those states have less representatives than Connecticut, let alone MA, NY, or NJ where the majority will be affected.

I think people are seeing a greater need of mass public transportation. It's cheaper in the long run, more efficient, and much more timely than being stuck in traffic on a freeway.

Hopefully, they build multi-floor parking garages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut