Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 03:35 PM

468 posts, read 523,650 times

Advertisements

Reading some of the responses here saddens me. Why even have a society? Let's just go full out mad max. I got mine (my foundation's fine, by the way) and the heck with the rest of you. Why should we pay taxes for police, or fire fighters? Bad luck happens. Schools? Forget about it. Your kids should not be my problem. I don't have 'em, and I don't want 'em.

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 04:28 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
Reading some of the responses here saddens me. Why even have a society? Let's just go full out mad max. I got mine (my foundation's fine, by the way) and the heck with the rest of you. Why should we pay taxes for police, or fire fighters? Bad luck happens. Schools? Forget about it. Your kids should not be my problem. I don't have 'em, and I don't want 'em.

Right?
Reading your comments makes me feel sick but it explains much of what is going on in the country.

We have people who think that they have the right to other people's property if they suffer a financial hardship. You get to put a gun to my head to pay for your welfare, foodstamps, medicaid, medicare, social security, free phones?

When does it end?

It ends with bankruptcy.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 AM

242 posts, read 350,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What do you expect state or federal officials to do to help you?

I don't think taxpayers should bail you out. It isn't fair and I shouldn't have to pay for your problems.

When does it end
From my perspective, this is not very different than FEMA helping out those who were affected by Hurricane Sandy, or any other hurricane. While what we have may not be a natural disaster, it's a disaster nonetheless.

Look, you can't begin to understand how I feel until you're in a similar situation. I feel helpless, powerless, and nobody gives a flying crap about it - unless it affects them personally or affects their finances. I think maybe at the start of the process I did expect somebody to step up from either the state or federal government to begin to help us out. It's pretty clear at this point that isn't going to happen. About the only thing we've heard from the state is that they're working on coming up with a menu of "options" to help out those who are in my situation. Some of these options include things like interest free loans. I had to laugh at that - I've already got a mortgage, so why in the bloody heck would I ever want to get another loan to fix my house? It may be a better option to just walk away from the mortgage altogether.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
This doesn't just affect the individual homeowner, it will affect their neighbors as well.
If people can't afford to fix the problem the foundations will buckle and the houses won't be safe to live in. Family abandons the house...now you live next door to an abandoned piece of property that's falling over. Good luck selling YOUR house if this happens...and if there's more than one house in your neighborhood with this problem...don't plan on selling your home anytime soon.

Home owners with this problem will have their property taxes lowered. One house, two houses, no big deal...as the number goes up to hundreds of houses, the towns are going to lose tax revenue and guess who's going to make up the difference? Everyone else in town.
Sibay,
you're absolutely right about this. A lot of people think this isn't their problem and I guess I can understand the rationale there, but this is going to negatively affect any town where the problem exists. As you say, once there are enough houses that are affected, tax revenue on a town-by-town basis will go down as property taxes are lowered for affected houses. Lowered tax revenue will affect a lot of things in a town, including schools. When school ratings go down because tax revenue slows, will towns like South Windsor and Tolland and Glastonbury still have families wanting to move there to take advantage of formerly highly respected school systems, or will homebuyers look elsewhere?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
Why not create a state backed financing program for those affected by the foundation issues? The state offers low interest loans solely for the purpose of fixing the foundations. Its not a handout as the money gets paid back, and the state makes a little money on it to boot. If they don't pay it back, the state reposseses the house.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:54 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Former Employees Say Concrete Company's Practices Contributed to Crumbling Foundations

Former Employees Say Concrete Company's Practices Contributed to Crumbling Foundations | NBC Connecticut

Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Former Employees Say Concrete Company's Practices Contributed to Crumbling Foundations

Former Employees Say Concrete Company's Practices Contributed to Crumbling Foundations | NBC Connecticut
This doesn't surprise me at all. What boggles my mind is that NBC30 can find this in their investigation, but Attorney General George Jepsen won't go after JJ Mottes for their role in this disaster.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/troubl...386853561.html

Last edited by DaIceman; 08-15-2016 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: forgot the link

Old 08-15-2016, 04:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,644 times
Why the hell aren't the owners of this company being charged with several counts of fraud? They should be put away behind bars for 10-20 yrs for this disaster. Seriously.

They might not have $$ to pay restitution to every homeowner affected by this, but they sure as hell can be made an example of by serving long prison sentences for their role in this.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Why the hell aren't the owners of this company being charged with several counts of fraud? They should be put away behind bars for 10-20 yrs for this disaster. Seriously.

They might not have $$ to pay restitution to every homeowner affected by this, but they sure as hell can be made an example of by serving long prison sentences for their role in this.
Yeah, why aren't they in the crosshairs? The cynic in me wonders if they are politically connected.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 9,708 times
I have identified two properties, one built in Mid 80's and one that is about 10 years old construction.

Wanted to get inputs from people about how common is this problem and should I discard the search in South Windsor? Any particular areas of South Windsor that were effected. Should I be worried even in case I buy the property that is around 10 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut