Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:13 AM

468 posts, read 523,867 times

Advertisements

Andy9919-
I found a powerpoint presentation about this on the web:

http://crcog.org/wp-content/uploads/...-25-Final.pptx

It mentions that it's possible to test for the presence of pyrrhotite, the mineral that causes the problem. The cost of the test is said to be $3000-$5000.

If I were buying a home in Eastern CT, I would either stay well outside of the date range, or insist that the seller provide test results. As most sellers probably won't do this, I would steer clear of houses built after the 1980s. You can't be sure that a newer house won't develop a problem. You can be fairly sure that an older house, built before the 1980s, should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 AM

242 posts, read 350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy9919 View Post
I have identified two properties, one built in Mid 80's and one that is about 10 years old construction.

Wanted to get inputs from people about how common is this problem and should I discard the search in South Windsor? Any particular areas of South Windsor that were effected. Should I be worried even in case I buy the property that is around 10 years old?
Andy,
the problem can be found in many parts of South Windsor, but I'm not sure I'd discard the search of South Windsor overall. If you can find out the builder of the properties, that might help narrow things down. U&R Builders had an exclusive contract with JJ Mottes to supply concrete for the foundations of houses that they built, so any U&R-built houses are suspect. However, that does not mean that all U&R houses have the problem.

I would definitely think about getting the foundation tested for pyrrhotite, or insist that the owner do that before you consider moving forward with a purchase.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:22 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
https://twitter.com/BradLuckNBC/stat...35222024495104

Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 AM

242 posts, read 350,995 times
Connecticut's foundation issue made it onto NBC Nightly news last night. Maybe the increased publicity, along with Malloy's letter to FEMA, will start to get the ball rolling to find a real solution for affected homeowners.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:55 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
Connecticut's foundation issue made it onto NBC Nightly news last night. Maybe the increased publicity, along with Malloy's letter to FEMA, will start to get the ball rolling to find a real solution for affected homeowners.

These Homes Are Crumbling From Their Foundation - NBC News

Old 01-23-2017, 02:24 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
It looks like the Legislature and Governor want to offer some assistance to home owners faced with the crumbling foundation issue. Not sure if it is enough though. Jay

Malloy to set aside $5M to help address crumbling foundations | HartfordBusiness.com

Concrete foundation bills aplenty this session | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Governor Malloy is proposing to set up a loan assistance program for people with crumbling foundations. Jay

Malloy proposes loan aid program for crumbling foundation homeowners | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
As I posted before.........WHY the heck aren't the owners of this company being criminally charged with several counts of fraud? They should be put away in the slammer for at least 10 yrs for this disaster. Seriously.

Sure, they won't have the $$ to pay restitution to every homeowner affected by this, but they sure as hell can be made an example of by serving long prison sentences for their role in this.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
As I posted before.........WHY the heck aren't the owners of this company being criminally charged with several counts of fraud? They should be put away in the slammer for at least 10 yrs for this disaster. Seriously.

Sure, they won't have the $$ to pay restitution to every homeowner affected by this, but they sure as hell can be made an example of by serving long prison sentences for their role in this.
Where is there fraud? I believe that it has to be proven they knew their gravel would cause this. That would be hard to prove. Jay

Old 05-30-2017, 05:31 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Default Concrete Foundations

I'm surprised not many have mentioned the courants piece.

It takes quite a bit to get me worried and well this is starting to worry me.

Part 3: Why Should You Care About The Quiet Corner's Crisis? - Hartford Courant

My girlfriend lives in Storrs and she has an old house (1740's I think) and although she doesn't have a concrete basement much of the county has had homes that do.

This sounds like a perfect storm. A faulty product causing significant damage starts to damage assets. It is beyond the statute of limitations to sue the company. Even if viable the company cannot pay for anything remotely close to this. 20,000 to 34,000 homes might need new foundations. These don't run cheap. It can be anywhere from 75,000 to 300,000. This could easily cost over 1.5 billion.

Now from what I understand you cannot legally sell a house with a failing foundation. It just won't pass building inspection obviously. So if the homes can't be resold what then happens? Well, the local governments would have a hard time justifying property taxes on homes that are unlivable so they are taken off the tax rolls. That means taxes could go significantly higher. Then there are the other structures made of the same material. Commercial buildings, septic tanks etc. If insurance actually does pay out they might have to pull assets or raise prices on good assets to keep afloat. So even if you don't live in an area with it the liabilities are spread out.

You lay this on top of the current budget issues and frankly I don't see that much of a good way out. FEMA said it didn't qualify because it isn't immediate. State and local do not have the capital for this. Even if the funds were there how long would it take to replace such amounts of foundations?

Any ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut