Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 AM

11 posts, read 29,274 times

Advertisements

We're planning a move to Bethel, Newtown, or maybe the Long Ridge area of Danbury in June 08. Husband will be commuting to Norwalk via train. We can only spend about $350K, and are looking for a 3BR 2 BA home. I love the downtown area of Bethel, but we were disappointed in the neighborhoods close to town center. We haven't looked at Newtown or Danbury yet. Are there good parts of Newtown within 5-10 minutes of the Bethel train station? Does anyone have any thoughts on the southern part of Danbury (Long Ridge?)? Apparently that's pretty close to the Redding station ... Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
I think $350,000 your best bet would be in Danbury since you could get more house for your money and the taxes are considerbly lower. A good amount of land in the Long Ridge is designated open space by the public act 490. You should also check out Lake Waubeeka, a gated lake community in Southern Danbury. The enterance to a the main subdivision in Long Ridge is about 3 miles to the train station. I don't think there is any part of Newtown so close to the train station expect the soutehrn part of the Taunton section. As a realtor, I can't discuss schools!

Good luck!
Jon

Old 02-03-2008, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 29,274 times
We checked out Lake Waubeeka and Long Ridge today. Pretty, but a little too rural for us. A couple more questions about Danbury: Wooster Heights--too close to the airport, right? Boyce Road? Hayestown? Would it take a long time to get to the station from that side of town?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Wooster Heights and the Miry Brook are fairly close to the Danbury airport but also are pretty convenient to the train station, route 7 and I-84.It is a muncipal airport might means there will be some noise but the traffic level is no where the airports in the city. Check with the city to find out about hours of operations and volume of planes on an average day and things like that. I'm live northwest of the airport by about 1.5 miles and I rarely notice the airport.

Boyce Road is located in the King Street neighborhood in Danbury. It does have a semi rural feel with generally larger lot sizes. The neighborhood is minutes to exit 3,4 and 5 but about 15 minutes to the train station. The elementary schools (seperate primary and intermediate) are located on about 20 acres of land on South King Street Road that connect to a fair amount of town owned land with trails. The current average list price in the neighborhood is around $550,000 making it one of the more expensive neighborhoods intown but there are a couple of homes in your price range. The more affordable homes do sell fairly quickly, since I recently represented a client which purchased one in December. The neighborhood is pretty close to shopping along Mill Plain Road about 5-7 minutes away depending on the exact location.

While the Boyce Road neighborhood is northwest of downtown, Hayestown is the near northeast end of downtown. Hayestown Road is does the town beach on Candlewood Lake with some new/newer condos with views of the lake. Most of the single family homes where built in the from the 1950s-1970s but you can find the occasional newer or older home. The lot sizes are generally about .5 acres but smaller lots being along the lake or in lake communties.Shopping is pretty close by on Padamaram Road (Route 37) and Federal Road. The general list price in the neighborhood is around $370,000, but some pretty decent homes I have shown a few times in the neighborhood about 100 days. The neighborhood is about 20 minutes to the train station.

Your best bet is to drive through each neighborhood (if possible) and decide where you feel the most comfortable. Feel free to ask me any questions!

~Jon

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,391 times
I think the best place for you to consider with your criteria is the Redding border of Danbury where the acrage of properties is larger than the avarage Danbury lots. it's quiter and only minutes to Redding train station. If you still think that's too rural for you, with a careful research you can find something that you like in Danbury,Bethel and Newtown too.
a few suggestionsanbury
South King Street Area
Danbury High School Area
Southern Boulevard and Tarrywile Park area
Great Plain or Stadley Rough area
Bethel/Newtown
Exit 8 ; Payne RD, Stony Hill Area, Old Hawleyville Rd, Benedict Rd, Walnut Hill Rd
The best thing to do is talking to a realtor like myself and have him/her locate you some properties...Hope that this helps..
Dee

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,034 times
Default I've saw a realestator is here

By the way if in this area the vacant lot for the dirt cheap can be found?
Thank you.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Generally in Danbury, a 2 acre approved lot will sell around $250,000. .5 acre to 1 lots (depending on if they are approved by the town and have well,septic, driveway etc) between $50,000 to $150,000.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM

83 posts, read 277,590 times
Default Moving to Danbury

Go with Brookfield, CT. South Brookfield intersects with Bethel. You cannot go wrong with Brookfield. It is a "hidden" gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut