Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should foreign flags be on display along CT's major streets and avenues?
CT Resident: Yes, I have no problems with this. 15 53.57%
CT Resident: No, this should be reserved for American flags. 6 21.43%
Non CT Resident: Yes, I have no problems with this. 2 7.14%
Non CT Resident: No, this should ne reserved for American flags. 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:51 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times

Advertisements

Overview
A new 'scandal' seems to be brewing in Stamford concerning the display of tens of Albanian flags along Summer Street. Whenever there is some sort of public celebration flags are placed along this street, but this time many people feel uncomfortable with this tradition. Its the first time Albanian flags are displayed along the street. Many people feel that the only flags to be displayed in this fashion is the American flag.

My Opinion
I personally am not bothered by the Albanian flags (I have no connections with Albania, although I do know some Albanian and Albanian-American acquaintances), but I also agree that it's ridiculous for the flag of another nation to be placed in such a conspicuous way. I do think the only flags that should be given this special treatment are the American flag, the flag of Connecticut, and the flag of Stamford. All other foreign celebrations should be limited to raising the flag on the pole in front of the old town hall, as is often done with minority communities with a sizeable presence in Stamford.

Additional Question
Since Stamford isn't the only municipality in Connecticut where this practice takes place, I ask this in a general sense.

What do you think about non-American/CT/local town-city flags placed on display along major streets and paid for by the government?

Images and Quotes from the Article

Quote:
Forty red-and-black Albanian flags lined Summer Street this week for Albanian Independence Day, celebrated annually on Nov. 28 to mark the date Albania declared sovereignty from the Ottoman Empire in 1912.
Quote:
Albanian Independence Day is commonly marked with a flag raising ceremony.
Quote:
This year, however, marked the first time Albanian flags went up along Summer Street.
Quote:
In an email chain, members of the Board of Representatives, responding to a citizen complaint, questioned whether the city has protocols for the flags being displayed - and put up with public resources - and how long they could stay up.

They hadn’t reached a consensus as of Thursday night.

“So what happens to the Irish flags raised for the St. Patrick's Day Parade and the Italian Flags flown on Columbus Day?“ city Rep. J.R. McMullen wrote.

“Perhaps that is the answer JR,” Rep. Joe Coppola responded. “One flag on one pole for one day. Not lining a street unless it is an exceptional event.”
Quote:
Parks and facilities manager Kevin Murray said the flags took two or three employees several hours to place along the street using a cherry picker.
Quote:
In the past, he said, the city has placed Italian flags near Columbus Park — the perennial spot for the Alive@5 summer concert series — but generally foreign flags aren’t displayed by the city.
Quote:
...Gregory Lodato wrote, “To line a street with one foreign flag (no matter whose) is outrageous, disturbing and may lead to unintended consequences. This pronounced level of display (i.e. multiple iterations of a single flag lining a public street) should be reserved solely for the American flag.”
Albanian flags in Stamford raise policy questions - StamfordAdvocate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Just my $0.02, but I personally don't see what the big deal is. Those who protest this might do so since it represents an ethnic group that isn't their own (while at the same time see no harm in displaying a flag that DOES represent their ethnicity.) Does Stamford have a large Albanian community? The article indicates it's only for a week.

Where I live I see American flags, and Irish, and Italian, and Portugese and Jamaican and Puerto Rican flags. You see them in storefronts, on outdoor porches, on decal stickers on cars. The way I see it, why make a big deal about it? Live and let live.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:45 PM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Irish, and Italian, and Portugese and Jamaican and Puerto Rican flags
But those are not "Muslim" flags while Albanian flag might be construed as a Muslim flag (there is a Christian minority - Mother Theresa, etc.) And that means Stamford is on its way to Sharia law. And that makes the local bigots red with anger.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Just my $0.02, but I personally don't see what the big deal is. Those who protest this might do so since it represents an ethnic group that isn't their own (while at the same time see no harm in displaying a flag that DOES represent their ethnicity.) Does Stamford have a large Albanian community? The article indicates it's only for a week.

Where I live I see American flags, and Irish, and Italian, and Portugese and Jamaican and Puerto Rican flags. You see them in storefronts, on outdoor porches, on decal stickers on cars. The way I see it, why make a big deal about it? Live and let live.
They are making a deal out of it because the Albanian flags were financed (as well as their placement and eventually their removal) by tax payers.

I'm sure if on the anniversary of the Civil War the Confederate flag is posted along the major street by the government, more than a few people will come out complaining about that too. I'm sure there is a sizable presence of southerners in Stamford and Connecticut at large.

Live and let live?

Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
I think this is weird, honestly. I'm an immigrant but I would never think to put up my previous country's flag, unaccompanied by the US flag, on a street where the national/local flag is normally hung. I don't think I've even seen that happen in a hardcore ethnic enclave like Chinatown. I don't feel strongly enough about it to start a petition but I think that's a little tacky. IMHO. And yes I'd feel the same way if it were any non-US flag.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:33 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
I don't think the taxpayers should be paying to fly foreign or ethnic flags.

Individuals, however, can fly whatever flag they choose.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 PM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times
It is axiomatic that were these Irish or Italian flags, there would be no controversy.

Anyone who refuses to recognize this is an abject fool.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
They painted the street in my neighborhood the Italian Flag ha, I don't care

Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 PM

2014 Albanian independence celebration at the Stamford Government Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
They painted the street in my neighborhood the Italian Flag ha, I don't care
The government did that with tax money?

Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
It is axiomatic that were these Irish or Italian flags, there would be no controversy.

Anyone who refuses to recognize this is an abject fool.
I do not think a flag from any other country should be flown in the U.S., period. That is disrespectful to the millions who have died to give America our freedom. It also disgusts me to see individuals flying Italian/whatever flags as well, they are in the U.S. now. That is part of the problem in this country, newer immigrants and their descendants have no allegiance to this country. It's wrong no matter how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: