Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 PM

52 posts, read 41,315 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for everyone's input. It has been extremely helpful. I really like the idea of Monroe, Oxford, orange & maybe wallingford. We will have to rent when we first move so hopefully we will be able to find a rental in those areas. Fingers crossed two weeks until we know. Also looking for any real estate agent recommendations that might be able to help us locate a rental considering we have a Saint Bernard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM

21,652 posts, read 31,269,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwkred View Post
Thanks so much for everyone's input. It has been extremely helpful. I really like the idea of Monroe, Oxford, orange & maybe wallingford. We will have to rent when we first move so hopefully we will be able to find a rental in those areas. Fingers crossed two weeks until we know. Also looking for any real estate agent recommendations that might be able to help us locate a rental considering we have a Saint Bernard
I still think Orange is more what you're looking for but Oxford and Monroe are great communities to live. Don't expect a plethora of amenities (trains, saltwater beaches, highways) but everything can be found in both communities within a 10-15 minute drive. For 350k, you can find a decent, move in ready home in all of these towns. If you go with Oxford, I'd advise you to look toward southern/eastern Oxford as it has easier proximity to neighboring Fairfield County for commuting purposes. In Monroe, the southern section of town is minutes to the Merritt parkway, so that's convenient too. Oxford definitely has become more desirable due to the low tax rate in town, but you don't get things like garbage pick up, sewers and water lines. Many homes in Oxford/Monroe/Orange are on septic and well - that surprises many newcomers to the area. Don't let that scare you, though. I'm on both and grew up with both. Never had a major issue, as long as you have them properly inspected prior to closing.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:22 PM

21,792 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Southern New Haven County or northern Fairfield are your best bets.

Newtown, Bethel, New Fairfield, Brookfield, Orange, Woodbridge, Bethany all good choices and put you in reasonable commute to NYC once a week, and near job centers. Anything closer to NYC will be out of your price range. Shelton, Milford, and Wallingford are all worth considering even though they don't have exceptional test scores. The schools are still good, and low taxes (for CT).

One plus of the southern New Haven area is the shore and being near a culturally rich city (New Haven). If being near urban areas and culture is important, northern Fairfield County might be a let down. Both areas put you close to natural beauty and great rural areas.

Further out from NYC you could try Southbury, Oxford, Guilford, and Madison, to name a few.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:38 PM

14,064 posts, read 13,974,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Southern New Haven County or northern Fairfield are your best bets.

Newtown, Bethel, New Fairfield, Brookfield, Orange, Woodbridge, Bethany all good choices and put you in reasonable commute to NYC once a week, and near job centers. Anything closer to NYC will be out of your price range. Shelton, Milford, and Wallingford are all worth considering even though they don't have exceptional test scores. The schools are still good, and low taxes (for CT).

One plus of the southern New Haven area is the shore and being near a culturally rich city (New Haven). If being near urban areas and culture is important, northern Fairfield County might be a let down. Both areas put you close to natural beauty and great rural areas.

Further out from NYC you could try Southbury, Oxford, Guilford, and Madison, to name a few.

No Stratford ?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:22 AM

304 posts, read 397,596 times
Quote:
Thank you! Do you find a big need for Central air? I think the climate is pretty similar to Michigan in the winter, in the summer we great pretty humid. Central Air is pretty necessary in August here. Do you find the same? Do most just use window units or something else?

Thanks also for the comments on East Hampton. My husband has found a few places he likes on that side, but I keep trying to tell him that might be too rural.

Central Air is an increasing necessity here- I feel. Climate is slightly different then the Detroit area however- especially near the shore- being about one zone warmer- a zone 7 compared to greater Detroit being a 5B. Summers here will be slightly warmer, with a bit more humidity because of the nearby ocean- there will fewer incursions of cooler Canadian air in the summer. compared to your location in the upper Midwest. Along coastal Connecticut temperatures seldom drop below 10 degrees F in the winter. Around Hartford temperatures below 0 are not all that common.

Hartford averages about 23 90 degree days in the summer- coastal Connecticut a few days less.

Snowfall varies from year to year- with Hartford getting an average of 40"- and coastal Connecticut about 25". Precipitation year round will be slightly higher then in Detroit because of the coastal location- with a very slight summer maximum.

Connecticut can be best described as a humid continental climate that is modified somewhat by the ocean to the south and east. Coastal Connecticut is a mixture of humid continental and humid subtropical climate types.

The number of days with heat indexes in excess of 100 degrees F (heat plus humidity) is likely to increase in as little as 8-9 years- Air conditioning will be a must for most.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:09 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,496,821 times
I lived 26 years with no Ac and still don't have central air. It doesn't get that hot up here. Somewhat humid but not bad.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,044,751 times
If you are looking in Oxford I agree with Stylo that you may as well consider Southbury too. The schools are really strong, the housing types and pricing are a good match, there are a number of conveniences in town (multiple grocery stores and some smaller big box shopping in the form of TJ Maxx and KMart), and the 1x/week NYC commute would still be tolerable. The high school is convenient to the more desirable commuting locations too which helps logistically.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I still think Orange is more what you're looking for but Oxford and Monroe are great communities to live. Don't expect a plethora of amenities (trains, saltwater beaches, highways) but everything can be found in both communities within a 10-15 minute drive. For 350k, you can find a decent, move in ready home in all of these towns. If you go with Oxford, I'd advise you to look toward southern/eastern Oxford as it has easier proximity to neighboring Fairfield County for commuting purposes. In Monroe, the southern section of town is minutes to the Merritt parkway, so that's convenient too. Oxford definitely has become more desirable due to the low tax rate in town, but you don't get things like garbage pick up, sewers and water lines. Many homes in Oxford/Monroe/Orange are on septic and well - that surprises many newcomers to the area. Don't let that scare you, though. I'm on both and grew up with both. Never had a major issue, as long as you have them properly inspected prior to closing.
No garbage you say...hmmm. That is definitely a consideration. I grew up on well/septic, but it's been about 20 years since that was the case.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM

21,652 posts, read 31,269,696 times
Quote:
No garbage you say...hmmm. That is definitely a consideration. I grew up on well/septic, but it's been about 20 years since that was the case.
Most towns you're looking at don't have garbage pickup. It's only about 30 bucks a month, though, and from my experiences, privately contracted companies care more about their work over companies hired by a town. Less garbage spill on the street, buckets put back orderly, etc. I'd much rather pay $400 a year over thousands you'd otherwise be paying in extra taxes. That's one advantage Oxford/Southbury has over Newtown/Monroe/Orange - much lower property/vehicle taxes.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most towns you're looking at don't have garbage pickup. It's only about 30 bucks a month, though, and from my experiences, privately contracted companies care more about their work over companies hired by a town. Less garbage spill on the street, buckets put back orderly, etc. I'd much rather pay $400 a year over thousands you'd otherwise be paying in extra taxes. That's one advantage Oxford/Southbury has over Newtown/Monroe/Orange - much lower property/vehicle taxes.
Good point! Thanks. There are so many little things that are just slightly different that I hadn't considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut