Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 AM

4,719 posts, read 5,997,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Most towns you're looking at don't have garbage pickup. It's only about 30 bucks a month, though, and from my experiences, privately contracted companies care more about their work over companies hired by a town. Less garbage spill on the street, buckets put back orderly, etc. I'd much rather pay $400 a year over thousands you'd otherwise be paying in extra taxes. That's one advantage Oxford/Southbury has over Newtown/Monroe/Orange - much lower property/vehicle taxes.
That was one of the things I liked about East Lyme - Avon and Ellington had private pickup and that was fine. But, East Lyme had town pickup and they were generally much more permissive about picking up extra items and large/oversized items, or taking a garbage can that was stuffed to overcapacity. The private companies in my previous towns were very strict about weight limits for the cans and taking additional items and/or large items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:53 AM

35,168 posts, read 57,354,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
That was one of the things I liked about East Lyme - Avon and Ellington had private pickup and that was fine. But, East Lyme had town pickup and they were generally much more permissive about picking up extra items and large/oversized items, or taking a garbage can that was stuffed to overcapacity. The private companies in my previous towns were very strict about weight limits for the cans and taking additional items and/or large items.
Really? We have private service and never had a problem. They take anything that fits in the large pail we have. They will not take extra items like furniture, mattresses or the like but they will if you call them and pay extra. It is pretty cheap though. Plus we are always getting ads for people who will do dump runs for a small fee. Jay

Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 AM

21,716 posts, read 31,409,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Really? We have private service and never had a problem. They take anything that fits in the large pail we have. They will not take extra items like furniture, mattresses or the like but they will if you call them and pay extra. It is pretty cheap though. Plus we are always getting ads for people who will do dump runs for a small fee. Jay
Agree. My company will take anything. If it's bulk (we got rid of a couch/love seat), we just had to call them to advise them. No problem. When I had town pickup, I was always picking up trash they dropped in the street. Once, I was sitting in my driveway with my reverse lights on patiently waiting for them to finish taking my trash so I can back out. The jerk threw my bucket lid behind my car, I had no idea, and backed right over it. He knew I was going to reverse over it, too, he just didn't care. I called the town to complain and they bought me a new trash bin. My private company now (out of Danbury) is excellent. Their employees much more professional as well. For $91 every 3 months, it's worth it.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,201,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwkred View Post
I find out in 2 weeks if I am getting a promotion that would relocate myself & my family to CT. I will be working from home mainly but will need to got into NYC about once a week. My husband will be leaving 18 years as a Police officer, looking for Asset protection or Fraud/ Security work. We have two kids, 11 & 8 & a St. Bernard. My boss lives in Wallingford, but they don't seem to score well on great schools. Where are the good districts with strong high schools?

We currently live in the 3rd largest district in MI & one of the higher rated. I know it won't be the same. CT seems to spend significantly more with much smaller class sizes.

We currently have a 2100 Sq ft house 4bd 2.5bath & large yard, will sell for around 240k. Looking for similar up to $350k with a large lot, lots of trees.

So looking for good areas with some conviences, don't want to drive 30 mins for the grocery store, where there are job opportunities for my husband, but closeish (under 40 mins) to the train?
Are you sure it's only once a week to NYC? rent as close as possible at first to make sure, preferably on the main train line, before committing to the far out never regions. Worry about lots and trees later.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:40 AM

21,716 posts, read 31,409,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Are you sure it's only once a week to NYC? rent as close as possible at first to make sure, preferably on the main train line, before committing to the far out never regions. Worry about lots and trees later.
I'm going to guess that they're sure.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:03 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,636,809 times
Several towns around here don't have garbage pickup so residents pay for their own. I've never heard any complaints. As for the rest of the topic, I'd take Orange over Oxford or Southbury. You're getting a little far away from everything going toward the last two towns.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM

52 posts, read 41,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Yep, once a week is pretty accurate. While renting as close as possible is a good tip we would prefer to rent in the school district we intend to purchase in to minimize the upheaval for the kids. Also, I don't know if we can afford the closer places.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM

4,719 posts, read 5,997,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwkred View Post
Thanks for the tip. Yep, once a week is pretty accurate. While renting as close as possible is a good tip we would prefer to rent in the school district we intend to purchase in to minimize the upheaval for the kids. Also, I don't know if we can afford the closer places.
stick with Orange, then. Excellent schools, lots of shopping and restaurants in town, or very close by. West of New Haven, so it makes getting to NYC a lot easier, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut