Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 AM

505 posts, read 428,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
It seemed people jumped on it because the governor had a history of making racist comments. IDK about the governor's history but I think elected representatives should be able to "phrase it better" when speaking about issues... it's not about political correctness. Say what you gotta say, but isn't it your job to say it in the clearest way so you get the most support for your issues. When we interview business leaders, executives, etc. we specifically look for communication skills so I don't get why people are okay with elected officials who can't avoid all this media drama by just phrasing things succinctly, without color (no pun intended).

I'm not really familiar with the governor either or his history. But when he started appearing all over the news I took a look.

It is true that it's his job to phrase things properly, but it's not possible to do it 100% of the time and every politician in history has always made awkward comments.

The media jumped on the news because they assumed he was just using stereotypes as a way to focus the blame on Maine's drug problems and there are numerous articles "lecturing" the governor on his remarks.

Having these lowlifes get arrested and discussing the issue openly is what will help to crackdown on the problem. The Governor should be congratulated on his efforts.

A simple search would have shown he was accurate.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM

228 posts, read 264,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Agreed. Controversy sells news and gives people entertainment. And with social media it's easier than ever. Run of the mill police cases are turned into media spectacles for everyone to discuss.

I wasn't following the Maine situation until it appeared nationally but only a few minutes of searching unearthed the articles I posted above. There may be even more cases.
So you found some articles with black drug dealers from CT? Were they also knocking up the poor white women in Maine? Do you honestly think that because you found some examples that there aren't also examples of white drug dealers? Sorry, maybe I should throw in some caps, random quotation marks and lots of !!!!!! for better understanding.

Doesn't make what the Governor said any less racist.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times
What the governor was saying was that black males were having vaginal unprotected intercourse with white females.

He views this type of behavior as morally repugnant.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
It seemed people jumped on it because the governor had a history of making racist comments. IDK about the governor's history but I think elected representatives should be able to "phrase it better" when speaking about issues... it's not about political correctness. Say what you gotta say, but isn't it your job to say it in the clearest way so you get the most support for your issues. When we interview business leaders, executives, etc. we specifically look for communication skills so I don't get why people are okay with elected officials who can't avoid all this media drama by just phrasing things succinctly, without color (no pun intended).
Because when they do, they're called "fake" and "liars"...

Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
So you found some articles with black drug dealers from CT?.....
Nice attempt.... you forgot to add "with black drug dealers from CT with the same exact street name and same exact crime visiting Maine to make their money". So yeah.... he hit the nail on the head... sorry the media has you so jaded.

It's really not about race, at all...it's about crime.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Actually, it's about race. Even the governor of Maine would not dispute that.

The good news for the governor's biggest fan Chris Christie is that this should lift him in the polls, since the GOP loves them racists..

Christie supports LePage after racially charged remarks

Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 AM

505 posts, read 428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
So you found some articles with black drug dealers from CT? Were they also knocking up the poor white women in Maine? Do you honestly think that because you found some examples that there aren't also examples of white drug dealers? Sorry, maybe I should throw in some caps, random quotation marks and lots of !!!!!! for better understanding.

Doesn't make what the Governor said any less racist.

Because the articles prove the point of what the Governor was talking about- that out of state (from CT and NY) drug dealers are heading into Maine to do business. One of them is nicknamed "Dee Money" and that's who the Governor was probably referring to.

Since the Governor mentioned CT and this is the CT forum that's why this topic is being discussed here.

I don't give a damn about the drug dealers or the people who try to justify/defend them!!! Glad that they're out of CT and on the way to prison.

Throw in whatever you want if it helps you "understand" my posts better. Maybe they will also help you understand how the info in the articles I posted related to the discussion.

Last edited by CTDex; 01-12-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Here is D-Money.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/12/2...ust-in-orland/

And this is the white girl he had unprotected intercourse with.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Nice attempt.... you forgot to add "with black drug dealers from CT with the same exact street name and same exact crime visiting Maine to make their money". So yeah.... he hit the nail on the head... sorry the media has you so jaded.

Yeahhhh not going to fly. For one, the drug traffickers wouldn't be coming in if there wasn't a market for it. He even could have posed it more like "and they extort vulnerable young women for drugs," and there'd be not a peep. In today's age a lot more people are in tune with the dog whistles, which is what he knew he was doing. And if he didn't know he was doing that explicitly that's even sadder because he should've. There was literally no reason to add in "white women" (hugeeeee dog whistle term. See in reference "Emmet Till") and not only saying what he knew the crowd would understand as slang names (another dog whistle) he infantalised women. There is literally no part that can be defended about his comments. I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but it seems to be a recurring issue with LaPage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut