Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
You should easily find that in central CT within an hour of the ferry. Depending on the town, you may have to sacrifice a couple of hundred sq ft, not sure if you would be able to survive that though.
True - for one somewhat short term role, I drove from Avon to Fairfield, which took me about 1:05 to 1:10 most days, and Fairfield is farther than Bridgeport. (I'd take 4 West through Unionville and Burlington to 118 to get to Route 8 South... )

If that is their prime requisite - being within an hour of Bridgeport, you're also opening up towns up in the Waterbury area.

If they want to be close to a Long Island ferry, they could also try close to the New London ferry to Long Island and use the train from New London or Old Saybrook to get to NYC. You can get definitely get more house for your money in that neck of the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 PM

14 posts, read 16,585 times
I am not really looking to be close to NYC at all, to the contrary. I am not really interested in western CT. I know you pay for the proximity to NYC. If I wanted to be close to NYC I would stay on LI! I imagine western CT is more built up and congested??

My husband is a network admin for an IT company. He can do most stuff remotely but will have to come back to LI a few times a month for business. Being close to the ferry is nice for this purpose. I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 9 years. I am a certified biology teacher. I will be looking for employment when my youngest enters kindergarten next year. The job market for teachers is abysmal here.

So I noticed there is a nuclear power plant in Waterford. I've never put much thought into living near one. I know they have a safe track record and nuclear power is safe BUT the power plants are also aging. My knee jerk reaction is I don't want to be by one. Looks like there was a plant in Haddam CT as well that was decommissioned and demolished. Seems like stuff inevitably leaks from these things. They are OLD. What is the local thoughts on the power plants? Are any areas undesirable because of them?

Old 02-11-2016, 05:19 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreCollie View Post
Hi, I am in early phases of investigating towns in CT to move. I currently live on the North Shore of Long Island in a district rated 9 by Great Schools. I have a preschooler, kindergartner and third grader, so schools are important to me. I would like to find a district rated 8 or above.

I am looking for a consistent community with a main street feel that does parades, movies under the stars, farmer's markets etc. I want something that is quaint but has access to big box stores within a reasonable drive (perhaps within 15 minutes).

I would like something within an hour drive to Bridgeport CT. The ferry is awesome and makes coming to CT very easy for family and friends. I honestly enjoy the ferry ride.

I would like to spend around 350k for a 2200+ square foot house with at least 1/2 an acre. If this is attainable for less I am even happier!

I have heard that CT is one of the most expensive places to live. How so? Is it any more so than Long Island? So far it seems the property taxes are no where near as unreasonable as Long Island.

I grew up on LI and have seen it go down hill. The traffic, cost of living, and over development has made it unbearable here. Nassau county now feels like Queens and Suffolk county feels like Nassau (if that makes any sense). The cost of real estate and the taxes has made it hard for young families to live here and they have been moving in droves!
I grew up in Nassau County and while the traffic sucks, it never bothered me that more people are moving in from Queens....that's kind of how Long Island was built. The taxes are high, but you will not have the same services in CT that you have down there. Having said that, you will enjoy it here. Just accept that with your budget you aren't going to find very walkable areas, as many level properties, and closeness to ammenities as you are used to. I lived in Levittown three blocks from the Hempstead Turnpike and didn't realize how I had "the world at my feet" until I moved up here and felt quite isolated.

As others have said, take Great Schools with a grain of salt. Most towns have good school systems and every town has something for families. I can tell you there are schools rated higher than my kids' school systems but if you walked into the higher rated school, you'd wonder why.

As for the power plant...you lived near Shoreham. What's another one? Plus, you are in proximity to it no matter where you are. So if anything, we're all screwed.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Re: power plants, interestingly enough, a town in CT (Oxford) is voting as we speak on whether or not to accept a tax agreement between the town and a gas powered plant. Residents are trying their best to boot them out.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:00 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
Waterbury area gives you the greatest likelihood of finding that house at that price point in a relatively good school district. Bit of a hike to Bridgeport, but less of a hike than the Hartford area towns would be, as long as you stay close to route 8.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Biology teacher...you have your Masters? A friends SO is a Bio teacher for 10 year's in CT making 90K now. Could look into the Lyme area near Waterford and work in the Havens for school. If onto reading Niantic, think part of Waterford, has the Book Barn.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 AM

62 posts, read 86,623 times
Quote:
Hi, I am in early phases of investigating towns in CT to move. I currently live on the North Shore of Long Island in a district rated 9 by Great Schools. I have a preschooler, kindergartner and third grader, so schools are important to me. I would like to find a district rated 8 or above.

I am looking for a consistent community with a main street feel that does parades, movies under the stars, farmer's markets etc. I want something that is quaint but has access to big box stores within a reasonable drive (perhaps within 15 minutes).

I would like something within an hour drive to Bridgeport CT. The ferry is awesome and makes coming to CT very easy for family and friends. I honestly enjoy the ferry ride.

I would like to spend around 350k for a 2200+ square foot house with at least 1/2 an acre. If this is attainable for less I am even happier!

I have heard that CT is one of the most expensive places to live. How so? Is it any more so than Long Island? So far it seems the property taxes are no where near as unreasonable as Long Island.

I grew up on LI and have seen it go down hill. The traffic, cost of living, and over development has made it unbearable here. Nassau county now feels like Queens and Suffolk county feels like Nassau (if that makes any sense). The cost of real estate and the taxes has made it hard for young families to live here and they have been moving in droves!

Damn helicopter parent....

Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
I am not really looking to be close to NYC at all, to the contrary. I am not really interested in western CT. I know you pay for the proximity to NYC. If I wanted to be close to NYC I would stay on LI! I imagine western CT is more built up and congested??

My husband is a network admin for an IT company. He can do most stuff remotely but will have to come back to LI a few times a month for business. Being close to the ferry is nice for this purpose. I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 9 years. I am a certified biology teacher. I will be looking for employment when my youngest enters kindergarten next year. The job market for teachers is abysmal here.

So I noticed there is a nuclear power plant in Waterford. I've never put much thought into living near one. I know they have a safe track record and nuclear power is safe BUT the power plants are also aging. My knee jerk reaction is I don't want to be by one. Looks like there was a plant in Haddam CT as well that was decommissioned and demolished. Seems like stuff inevitably leaks from these things. They are OLD. What is the local thoughts on the power plants? Are any areas undesirable because of them?
I assume by the term "western Connecticut" you are talking about anything west of the Connecticut River. That is what most people here think. It is true that western Connecticut is more congested than eastern but not all of it. The closer you get to New York City the more congested it is, just like Long Island. Southwestern Connecticut is generally the worst but it is also VERY expensive so it is not necessarily where you should look anyways.

I think some of the recommendations made in the New Haven area would work for you. Maybe start looking in the Milford/Orange area and then check Branford/Guilford/Madison and North Haven/Cheshire/Wallingford. See which ones have homes in your price range that look most appealing and then visit each area. That should help you decide. Jay

Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I assume by the term "western Connecticut" you are talking about anything west of the Connecticut River. That is what most people here think. It is true that western Connecticut is more congested than eastern but not all of it. The closer you get to New York City the more congested it is, just like Long Island. Southwestern Connecticut is generally the worst but it is also VERY expensive so it is not necessarily where you should look anyways.

I think some of the recommendations made in the New Haven area would work for you. Maybe start looking in the Milford/Orange area and then check Branford/Guilford/Madison and North Haven/Cheshire/Wallingford. See which ones have homes in your price range that look most appealing and then visit each area. That should help you decide. Jay

North Haven/Cheshire/Wallingford is cheaper

Old 02-13-2016, 07:59 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Milford/Orange seems like it would fit. But Milford has the community feel you want in spades, downtown, events, parades, most events are family friendly. Most grade schools are near an 8 but I wouldn't balk if they're a 6 or 7, they're still very good schools. It works for your budget.

This area is very close to the ferry.

A small part of town on Route 1 gets congested but most residents either know their way around it or spend very little time there.

Foran High School serves mostly the eastern half of town and ranks better than Jonathan Law at an 8, but both schools provide a similar education.

I would then look at Guilford/Madison/Branford. Further isolated and quiet but meets your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut