Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:39 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So we need some help here.

We currently live in Southington and I love it! However, we are outgrowing our home in the next year or so, so we are looking to get a larger one. We have a tight budget (our own mandate because she won't be working). Our budget is $250k to $280k. I plan on finding a home that needs work so I could negotiate a better deal and plus we want to put our touches on it. We also would like to be between Glastonbury and new Britain because of the rents. I work all over the state and she works in Farmington so commute (for the time being is somewhat important).

She found a home she loves in Wethersfield in a nice little neighborhood.

We are looking in the following towns:
Berlin
Wethersfield
Newington
Farmington
staying in Southington

Any thoughts on the "rankings" of towns. To me I think Farmington and Southington are at the top but I could be wrong.

Feel free to add anything that might work as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
What sort of Ranking? Schools, home prices? I would put Farmington and Wethersfield at the top, then Southington...

I would also try to focus on Wethersfield...I've only been there twice but it seems like a nice town!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
What sort of Ranking? Schools, home prices? I would put Farmington and Wethersfield at the top, then Southington...

I would also try to focus on Wethersfield...I've only been there twice but it seems like a nice town!
Sorry, yes school rankings and safety are the two biggest (I feel old, all I used to care about is which bars are the closest) growing up stinks.

Really Wethersfield over Southington? I can't wrap my head around it.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
I would rate Farmington and Southington as your top two choices as well. Both for schools and for overall value.

Wethersfield is a nice town and a very convenient location to Hartford, but has a very high mill rate (36/37?). Farmington's rate is much lower (24), and Southington is also lower (28/29?) That said, you can probably get more house for the $280,000 in Wethersfield vs Farmington.

I loved living in Newington before because it's got a great location - close to route 9, 84 and the Berlin Turnpike. They also have a fairly high mill rate, though,

Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I think Wethersfield is one of the most underrated towns in greater Hartford. Old Wethersfield is unbelievably charming with so many beautiful old homes. It could be a rehabbers dream. Schools there though are middle of the road at best, performing at about the state average.

You are right though about Southington being ranked higher than Wethersfield. Going by the Connecticut Academic Performance Test scores, Southington High School ranks significantly better than Wethersfield. In fact Berlin and Newington do too. That does not mean Wethersfield schools are bad. They perform at the state average, but given the wide range of housing options available there, I think the differences have more to do with the socio-economic make up of students attending the schools. So the order of school CAPT performance for these towns are:

Farmington (obviously)
Southington
Berlin
Newington
Wethersfield

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Still any of these would provide a good education. I would also consider Rocky Hill and Cromwell in the mix too. Rocky Hill schools perform very well. Close to Southington and Berlin in test scores so it would be at the higher end of these towns. Jay

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Based on your criteria, I would pick Farmington, and here's why: First off, it's a beautiful town. Schools are top-notch, IMO it's the friendliest of all the Valley Towns (Granby, Simsbury, Avon, Farmington), and even though it's pretty affluent, many of the neighborhoods contain older houses ('50s thru the '70s) so it's more affordable, and with a lower than average mill rate your property taxes will be less, which is always a plus.

I also would suggest Wethersfield over Southington. Don't get me wrong, Southington is nice and the schools are good, but IMO Wethersfield is even nicer. Not just because of the old historic section of town, just in general I like the vibe there more. Maybe because it has some of the characteristics of an inner suburb that I prefer (more walkable neighborhoods, older homes), but of those 2 towns, that's the one that gets my vote.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 AM

Thank you for all your responses.

Very helpful.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
If you currently live in Southington and love it then get a house in Southington. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
If you currently live in Southington and love it then get a house in Southington. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I own a home (aka rent from the mortgage company) lol in southington. Only prob is that it is a 2 bedroom and on a busier street. We'll need a 3 bedroom and a bit quieter section.

I agree I love southington but she wants to be closer to her parents.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Add Rocky Hill and Cromwell to your list. Both have easy commutes to Farmington via RT 9.
Cromwell has direct access to RT 9. Rocky Hill you would take i-91 south to RT 9 (one mile or so) or drive on surface streets in Rocky Hill and get on RT 9 in Cromwell.

Wethersfield has high property taxes on par with Glastonbury. Despite that I still like Wethersfield though.

If you are handy with tools and would consider being a landlord you may want to look for duplexes. Wethersfield and Rocky Hill have some duplexes, not sure about the other towns for duplexes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut