Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I remember red colony. When did that place close?
At least 10 years ago. It had been a Five Guys since 2008, until they relocated earlier this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 03:27 PM

Brand new Tapas and a new Thai restaurant in town. Both opened within the last couple of months, Both are amazing!!!
I’m kind of liking all of our new neighbors here from NY state and NYC.
The really good/ top notch local food that they’re bringing keeps on impressing me.
What a difference a single decade makes! Totally different place than I moved to years ago.
I can actually say I really like the conveniences and all amenities close to home now

Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Brand new Tapas and a new Thai restaurant in town. Both opened within the last couple of months, Both are amazing!!!
I’m kind of liking all of our new neighbors here from NY state and NYC.
The really good/ top notch local food that they’re bringing keeps on impressing me.
What a difference a single decade makes! Totally different place than I moved to years ago.
I can actually say I really like the conveniences and all amenities close to home now
What are they called?

There's definitely much much more than a few years back. Golly, it was a food wasteland a decade ago. I used to frequent the exact same places over and over again.

BUT I still think the scene is not comparable to the shoreline and Hartford area, but I suppose that's to be expected for a smaller population/metro. I'm not sure I've been super impressed by any one place, but maybe need to try the 2 places you refer to. But the area FINALLY has very good sushi in Ki, which is really solid. Only took decades.

Oh! And the best BBQ in the state: Hoodoo Brown.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Gaudi Tapas and Thai Pepper.
It’s getting A LOT better, Stylo. Please don’t write it off based on experiences years ago or because of location, because I agree it sucked back then... but our state and every independently owned business and eatery in it wherever it might be located, needs every single bit of our support if it’s good and worthy of it. Both of these places are.
And there just seems to be many more worthy places in Danbury than there were years ago. I am just liking this area very much right now.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What are they called?

There's definitely much much more than a few years back. Golly, it was a food wasteland a decade ago. I used to frequent the exact same places over and over again.

BUT I still think the scene is not comparable to the shoreline and Hartford area, but I suppose that's to be expected for a smaller population/metro. I'm not sure I've been super impressed by any one place, but maybe need to try the 2 places you refer to. But the area FINALLY has very good sushi in Ki, which is really solid. Only took decades.

Oh! And the best BBQ in the state: Hoodoo Brown.
Ps For the record — Hoo Doo is my favorite too

Old 01-13-2019, 04:11 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Gaudi Tapas and Thai Pepper.
It’s getting A LOT better, Stylo. Please don’t write it off based on experiences years ago or because of location, because I agree it sucked back then... but our state and every independently owned business and eatery in it wherever it might be located, needs every single bit of our support if it’s good and worthy of it. Both of these places are.
And there just seems to be many more worthy places in Danbury than there were years ago. I am just liking this area very much right now.
Yeah, I agree it's so much better and honestly better than most areas of its size across the US. I remember when the best thing along Mill Plain was Rosy Tomorrow's (still have a special place in my heart for that place).

There's some really good places I've enjoyed like Edo 2, Ki, Broken Symmetry, Ibiza, Kibberia, The Foundry. Did not see the hype in Stanziato's or Mezon, and was really sad to hear Laurentano closed in Bethel. That place was great.

And then if you go to Litchfield there's some world class restaurants like RSVP, Community Table, Arethusa. And one of the best breweries in the state, Kent Falls.

I will check those 2 places out. I have relatives in Brookfield and there is NOTHING in that town worth eating at sadly... so I venture into Newtown/Bethel/Danbury.

I am still waiting for there to be a similar foodie movement in Mliford. I'm not sure why there hasn't been. Don't get me wrong, there are some really fantastic places, but mostly in the casual/bar/pizza realm. We often go to New Haven (best food scene in CT IMO) or Fairfield/Black Rock for that reason.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:37 PM

I know there are so many great random Italian restaurants in our state,but if you’re ever In the Danbury area and are in the mood for one, check out Pappadellas. It’s hidden in a non-descript/random shopping plaza (next to a hair salon and gas station) off of Rte 39/Clapboard Ridge, just north of DHS, but is the bomb for homemade pastas and dishes.

Those are always my favorite places though - the ones that locals know are really great but not yet on the radar of all others. This one though has been around for a good 5-6 years though and is not new. . It’s really good though if that’s what you’re in the mood for.

Ps Decor is lacking,but food is amazing.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, I agree it's so much better and honestly better than most areas of its size across the US. I remember when the best thing along Mill Plain was Rosy Tomorrow's (still have a special place in my heart for that place).

There's some really good places I've enjoyed like Edo 2, Ki, Broken Symmetry, Ibiza, Kibberia, The Foundry. Did not see the hype in Stanziato's or Mezon, and was really sad to hear Laurentano closed in Bethel. That place was great.

And then if you go to Litchfield there's some world class restaurants like RSVP, Community Table, Arethusa. And one of the best breweries in the state, Kent Falls.

I will check those 2 places out. I have relatives in Brookfield and there is NOTHING in that town worth eating at sadly... so I venture into Newtown/Bethel/Danbury.

I am still waiting for there to be a similar foodie movement in Mliford. I'm not sure why there hasn't been. Don't get me wrong, there are some really fantastic places, but mostly in the casual/bar/pizza realm. We often go to New Haven (best food scene in CT IMO) or Fairfield/Black Rock for that reason.
PPS, I went to a cousin’s bridal shower in Milford a couple of years ago at a golf course near the train. First and last time I was there, but I enjoyed it a lot and liked what I saw on my drive through. Maybe we need to visit again in the summer months and closer to the beach/Sound (I think I was in northern Milford when I visited and not so close to that part of town)

Old 01-13-2019, 04:57 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
PPS, I went to a cousin’s bridal shower in Milford a couple of years ago at a golf course near the train. First and last time I was there, but I enjoyed it a lot and liked what I saw on my drive through. Maybe we need to visit again in the summer months and closer to the beach/Sound (I think I was in northern Milford when I visited and not so close to that part of town)
That area of Milford is nice, but if you came from 34, you mostly traveled through Orange.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That area of Milford is nice, but if you came from 34, you mostly traveled through Orange.
I don’t remember the names of roads we traveled. I do know we went straightdown through Newtown. Then over the damn, maybe through Derby then (I think? ). Then traveled through a residential area in a north direction maybe (?) to the golf course.
It was very nice. The whole trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut