Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM

68 posts, read 100,291 times

Advertisements

Hi there!!

We are relocating again. We can move anywhere in the country as we work from home. We are looking for a nice place to raise our children. We have an 11 and 8 year old. Schools are not the biggest priority as we currently homeschool however I feel education is key to a good environment in a community.

We were considering Vermont until I found out about the terrible drug issue. I really loved the looks of Woodstock, Vt.

We are now looking at Washington, Connecticut or North Carolina.

I would love to find a town with a walkable downtown and a strong sense of community. Maybe even a planned downtown area or at a minimum a village green where community events are held. We are wanting to own between 5-10 acres so a highly congested area will not be a fit.

I am not interested in high levels of intolerances. I am super laid back.

We can't afford CT expensive crazy as I know it gets near the NY borders.

Thank you for any ideas or insight you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
home budget?

Why Washington? Gilmore Girls?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:31 PM

Washington state to be clear. Is there a Washington, Ct too??

I am from California but due to the water issues and economy I wouldn't return there. Oregon is a bit of a mess IMHO so that leaves Washington. I would LOVE to go back out West but I feel like the NW may be my only option on a broader scale. I am still researching CA and OR though.

Budget for land and then to build a home is about 600K.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Stars Hollow would be great but yeah... we all know there is no such place unless I want to live on a backlot!

Old 12-04-2016, 04:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
600k won't get you 5-10 acres in most of Connecticut. You'd have to go to the more rural towns in the eastern part of the state. Putnam, Columbia, etc.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:04 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity7499 View Post
Stars Hollow would be great but yeah... we all know there is no such place unless I want to live on a backlot!
Stars Hollow is supposedly based on Washington, Coonecticut. They even held a Gilmore Girls Festival this year.

There are many towns like you are looking for. A couple that come to mind include New Milford, Colchester, Kent, Southbury, Newtown, Woodbury and Stafford. I am sure there are more. Jay

Old 12-04-2016, 06:10 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
I would second Kidyankee's and Jay's suggestions -- towns east of CT River would offer a better value for your budget.

Litchfield hill towns of Kent, Washington, Sharon, etc. are NYC second home territory and thus prices are inflated. But they are definitely postcard-pretty. Although I don't find any of those towns particularly walkable, unless you limit your walking to two blocks.

Most towns in Eastern CT are tiny though -- 2000 to 3000 people, some probably less, and downtowns will be tiny too. Putnam has a nice and very walkable downtown.

You can also search in the 2nd row of towns over the Shoreline towns -- these would be Deep River, Ivorytown, Killingworth, Durham, Haddam.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I would second Kidyankee's and Jay's suggestions -- towns east of CT River would offer a better value for your budget.

Litchfield hill towns of Kent, Washington, Sharon, etc. are NYC second home territory and thus prices are inflated. But they are definitely postcard-pretty. Although I don't find any of those towns particularly walkable, unless you limit your walking to two blocks.

Most towns in Eastern CT are tiny though -- 2000 to 3000 people, some probably less, and downtowns will be tiny too. Putnam has a nice and very walkable downtown.

You can also search in the 2nd row of towns over the Shoreline towns -- these would be Deep River, Ivorytown, Killingworth, Durham, Haddam.
Good suggestions. The lower Connecticut River Valley is a great choice. It is beautiful and has some very nice small towns like Essex, Chester, Deep River, Haddam, East Haddam and Lyme. Even some of the shoreline towns are nice like Old Saybrook and Old Lyme. Jay

Old 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Sounds like your looking for a nice community along with the village center. Some of the small towns in CT only have a town green but strong connections thru the town.

I would look at (a number of these have already been mentioned).
Colchester. Small downtown but great community has most daily needs in town.
Chester. Very small village but a very artsy laid back river town.
Deep River. Another river town slightly larger village center plus very close to Essex.
Stafford. Nice downtown quiet area of the state little bit of a drive to get places Affordable.
Putnam. Again a little bit away from everything but easy drives to Providence and Worcester also not bad to Boston.
Granby. Nice rural town near lots of things not a very big shopping area thou.
Suffield. Nice mix of suburban and rural. A little pricey for the area.
East Hampton. Lake is the main draw in town despite being more rural I have found the locals to have a great sense of community.
East Lyme. Shoreline town with some more affordable portions inland great little downtown and boardwalk.

In general if your flexible on the village center there is a lot of options east of the Connecticut river. Also note some of the towns mentioned you would have to be patient to find the right property. They come up but somewhat infrequently.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
For $600K agree the towns East of the river are best. With rare exceptions, 10 acres in Litchfield county is likely to start in the $800-900 range. There would be a decent number of options with 3-5 acres in the $600 range though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut