Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:37 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

I say Ridgefield to Greenwich to Milford to Shelton to Monroe to Newtown to Redding back to Ridgefield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I say Ridgefield to Greenwich to Milford to Shelton to Monroe to Newtown to Redding back to Ridgefield
Why not New Haven ?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 AM

984 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why not New Haven ?
New Haven simply doesn't have economic ties to New York. I'm not sure what you're measuring influence off of but I am using commuter data and wealth of said town.

Sports teams are a BAD measure. Why? Because I root for the Seattle Seahawks in Football (due to family) so does that mean Seattle influences me? Most definitely not. Also, if given the choice of a Connecticut team (like we are with college sports) all of CT routes for that team, neither NY or Boston/ Rest of New England.

That's why I drew my line farther west than many of you. Even Fairfield doesn't have as many commuters to NYC as it does to BPT. It's a suburb of Bridgeport, not New York.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:04 AM

984 posts, read 599,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Pretty close to my conclusions, evidence for including more shoreline towns?

Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Even Fairfield doesn't have as many commuters to NYC as it does to BPT. It's a suburb of Bridgeport, not New York.
That's a far different experience from mine. Most people I know friends/neighbors work south (mostly NYC, WC, a bunch Stamford, some Wilton/Norwalk). I can only think of one person I know works in Bridgeport.
Maybe back in the Bridgeport manufacturing heyday they did.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
New Haven simply doesn't have economic ties to New York. I'm not sure what you're measuring influence off of but I am using commuter data and wealth of said town.
No economic ties? The commuter rail that serves NYC starts in New Haven. Its even called the New Haven Line.

Quote:
Sports teams are a BAD measure. Why? Because I root for the Seattle Seahawks in Football (due to family) so does that mean Seattle influences me? Most definitely not. Also, if given the choice of a Connecticut team (like we are with college sports) all of CT routes for that team, neither NY or Boston/ Rest of New England.
Just because you happen to root for the Seahawks has no bearing on whether NY influence can be measured by pro sports teams. There are always going to be people who don't root for the local teams for various reasons (e.g. transplants). Whats more telling is looking at who the most popular pro teams are in the area. In FFC, NHC, and LFC those would be NY teams. Which is consistent with the fact that these areas have an NYC influence.

Quote:
That's why I drew my line farther west than many of you. Even Fairfield doesn't have as many commuters to NYC as it does to BPT. It's a suburb of Bridgeport, not New York.
I also don't understand why influence is measured solely in number of commuters. I grew up in NHC and always identified with NYC, even though my parents did not commute there. We still went into the city all the time for various reasons unrelated to work and rooted for NY teams as well. Hell, my dad grew up going from New Haven to Brooklyn every Sunday for dinner with his relatives.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I find it follows Metro North lines, with exception to the Waterbury line. The NYC influence without a doubt (in my mind) extends to New Haven and north to Danbury. I say with exception to the Waterbury Metro North line because I don't see the influence in the route 8 corridor.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:11 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I find it follows Metro North lines, with exception to the Waterbury line. The NYC influence without a doubt (in my mind) extends to New Haven and north to Danbury. I say with exception to the Waterbury Metro North line because I don't see the influence in the route 8 corridor.
How long has it been since you've been to those towns? LOTS of former New Yorkers there and people in towns like Shelton/Ansonia/Seymour work down toward the city. You should see the bumper to bumper traffic heading south on RT 8 and north in the evening.... it has more NY influence than the New Haven area in my opinion...

Anywhere in our region traffic overwhelmingly moves south in the morning and north in the evening has New York City influence, period..

Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
How long has it been since you've been to those towns? LOTS of former New Yorkers there and people in towns like Shelton/Ansonia/Seymour work down toward the city. You should see the bumper to bumper traffic heading south on RT 8 and north in the evening.... it has more NY influence than the New Haven area in my opinion...

Anywhere in our region traffic overwhelmingly moves south in the morning and north in the evening has New York City influence, period..
Good point. I was thinking more the end of the Waterbury line: Waterbury, Naugatuck, etc.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:02 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Good point. I was thinking more the end of the Waterbury line: Waterbury, Naugatuck, etc.
Agree with you on Waterbury. Once you get south of Waterbury to Seymour on down, it becomes southwest commuter territory since it's one of the only affordable areas in CT commutable to lower FFC. The lower Valley, IMO, has become part of the southwest CT rat race.

Most people in CT, outside of FF/NH counties, view anything west of New Haven as NYC influenced (from what I've seen).

IMO, draw a line from New Haven to Waterbury to New Fairfield and you have NYC influence. For daily NY influence, draw a line from Fairfield to Ridgefield, and there you have it.

Also like the comment that anywhere you have heavy traffic going south in the morning and north in the evening has influence. That's basically 84, Merritt, 95 and Rt 8 in both counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut