Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh, I love living in Milford too. The traffic didn't bother me one bit. I was so close to everything that I didn't even need to leave Milford except to see family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 07:35 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
As much as I love the city, I can't agree with that statement. It is strong for a couple industries. Namely education and healthcare. It is nowhere near as robust as Stamford/Norwalk. Not even close.

If it was even close, New Haven would be a powerhouse. It just isn't. It's a great small city but I wouldn't hype up the job market.
Opps, my bad.

Stamford/Norwalk for jobs is very good.
New Haven for jobs is good.

The following is just anecdotal but I think it worth posting. During the early part of the recession 5 of my neighbors lost jobs in the Stamford/Norwalk area. Many of the people in my neighborhood in Trumbull are originally from the Stamford/Norwalk area. All 5 were able to find jobs (varied fields) in the New Haven area even though they were for less pay. It might be an anomaly but after that I started to have a lot more respect for the New Haven area.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM

184 posts, read 106,592 times
So, since I started this thread back in June, we have two buyers on our house in Mass get "cold-feet" prior to the inspection, and therefore have had time to increase our search range from Bethany/Orange/Woodbridge.

My wife has spent some time in Oxford, and does not seem to mind the commute to New Haven. The mill-rate is much lower then surrounding towns, yet the schools seem to still be of a very high standard. The new shopping center towards Seymour is showing growth, I do not get what is up with the airport. I saw the article about the drug deaths, hits to close to home, but this happens to be the time and place we live in.

There also seems to be quite a bit of newer homes, those built in 2000 on, which is something that is attractive to us, after living in a house built in the 1950s for the last ten years.

So, opinions on Oxford?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
So, since I started this thread back in June, we have two buyers on our house in Mass get "cold-feet" prior to the inspection, and therefore have had time to increase our search range from Bethany/Orange/Woodbridge.

My wife has spent some time in Oxford, and does not seem to mind the commute to New Haven. The mill-rate is much lower then surrounding towns, yet the schools seem to still be of a very high standard. The new shopping center towards Seymour is showing growth, I do not get what is up with the airport. I saw the article about the drug deaths, hits to close to home, but this happens to be the time and place we live in.

There also seems to be quite a bit of newer homes, those built in 2000 on, which is something that is attractive to us, after living in a house built in the 1950s for the last ten years.

So, opinions on Oxford?

Thanks in advance.
Nice town, just very far from "stuff". If you want quiet and woods, it's a great place to live. Good value.

I would not expect the town to grow much more past that new shopping center. It was a small miracle that got built. The airport is very small, but has a restaurant on-site, which is mostly frequented by locals.

Upper middle class + rural-ish in CT = serious opiate issues. It's just a fact, unfortunately.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Oxford is a nice town for raising a family. There isn't anything in the way of nightlife and it is rural-ish so do be prepared to travel out of town for basically anything other than groceries, banking and hardware. With your wife's job being in New Haven, the need to go elsewhere probably won't be a big deal. The town has some nice parks and an active parks/rec program.

Due to the airport's location on the outskirts of town, most the air traffic issues are in neighboring towns, specifically Middlebury. You should know that there is also some controversy regarding the new power plant in town, which again is on the outskirts.

The airport restaurant, 121, is a fun place to take kids for dinner (view of runways from inside) and has a decent bar for the adults.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Since you work in the financial services, ability to commute easily into Fairfield County -- that would be beneficial for you.

If a work opportunity arose in Stamford for example, commuting from Guilford is not easy. Instead, at that budget, you wish you were in Fairfield (town of), or Woodbridge, or even Milford. And your spouse would still be within 30 minutes from New Haven.

Something to think about.
Commuting to Stamford from Guilford should not be difficult through train. That would avoid rush hour driving in the morning and at night in new haven county, not that bad.

I am doing it from Guilford to uptown NYC and do not feel that much of pain.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Nice town, just very far from "stuff". If you want quiet and woods, it's a great place to live. Good value.

I would not expect the town to grow much more past that new shopping center. It was a small miracle that got built. The airport is very small, but has a restaurant on-site, which is mostly frequented by locals.

Upper middle class + rural-ish in CT = serious opiate issues. It's just a fact, unfortunately.
Oxford is a town like Ellington here in the Hartford area. It was always considered a more rural town but in the boom years of the late 90's early 200's a decent amount of housing went up, making it a bit more suburban. So yep nice town. Just a bit out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut