Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 03:45 PM

331 posts, read 208,127 times

Advertisements

I started a thread here back in September of last year and now we are looking at homes. Dh works at Pratt. What can you tell me about these cities? We want to stay in Newington-Rocky Hill, but we just aren’t seeing anything we like despite raising our budget (330-370). Wethersfield and Glastonbury have property benefits for disabled veterans, which Dh is, but the taxes are still scary. So we are trying to stay out of those cities. Any other city suggestions? I want to stay out of Farmington and West Hartford we love shopping, but want something a little less “City”.

Dh would commit up to 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Which Pratt facility will he be working at? Southington is kind of far from Pratt in East Hartford but not Middletown. Since you mentioned liking Rocky Hill, have you considered Berlin or Cromwell?

I would recommend staying east of the Connecticut River if he will be in East Hartford. Marlborough is right on a Route 2 so the commute would be a straight shot. If he is working in Middletown, the commute down Route 66 to Route 9 can be busy. Marlborough has schools that perform well but does not have a lot of shopping and entertainment options. It’s a small semi rural town.

Of the three you list, Portland is my least favorite. It’s a nice town but it’s schools are average at best. Not bad just not as good at Marlborough.

I am not sure why you think taxes are significantly higher in Glastonbury and Wethersfield. From what I see they are comparable to Rocky Hill, maybe a bit higher but not so much that I would not consider living there. Glastonbury schools are considered to be among the best in the state so I would consider it worth a few bucks more, if any at all. Good luck. Jay

Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 PM

331 posts, read 208,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Which Pratt facility will he be working at? Southington is kind of far from Pratt in East Hartford but not Middletown. Since you mentioned liking Rocky Hill, have you considered Berlin or Cromwell?

I would recommend staying east of the Connecticut River if he will be in East Hartford. Marlborough is right on a Route 2 so the commute would be a straight shot. If he is working in Middletown, the commute down Route 66 to Route 9 can be busy. Marlborough has schools that perform well but does not have a lot of shopping and entertainment options. It’s a small semi rural town.

Of the three you list, Portland is my least favorite. It’s a nice town but it’s schools are average at best. Not bad just not as good at Marlborough.

I am not sure why you think taxes are significantly higher in Glastonbury and Wethersfield. From what I see they are comparable to Rocky Hill, maybe a bit higher but not so much that I would not consider living there. Glastonbury schools are considered to be among the best in the state so I would consider it worth a few bucks more, if any at all. Good luck. Jay
East Hartford. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
East Hartford. Thanks for the reply.
Then I would suggest staying east of the Connecticut River to make his commute a bit easier. A lot of traffic crosses the river during rush hour. Exit 29 on I-91 northbound (Charter Oak Bridge) is particularly bad and the state has plans to reconstruct that interchange starting next year so traffic in that area will be even worse than it is now. Because of that construction, I can see Exit 25 - the Putnam Bridge exit getting busier which means even more trouble for commuters.

That said my first suggestion would have been Glastonbury. I know you think that taxes are high there but they are not really much higher than Rocky Hill from what I see. The best part of Glastonbury is its convenience to Pratt in East Hartford. Your husband would not even have to get on the highway depending where in town you live and his commute would likely be well under 30 minutes.

Another town you might want to look at is South Windsor. It has very good schools and many beautiful neighborhoods. There's great shopping in or near town (Evergreen Walk, Buckland Hills, etc.) and there should be a number of homes in your price range.

As you already noted, Marlborough is a good town but you also might want to consider neighboring Hebron. It shares the same highly regarded middle and high school with Marlborough and would have a number of nice homes in your price range. Good luck, Jay

Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 PM

417 posts, read 601,153 times
You might like Ellington, Tolland, and/or South Windsor

Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
If he's at East Hartford, definitely stay east of the river. He does NOT want to commute through Hartford.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM

247 posts, read 231,208 times
South Windsor - hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut