Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:46 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yep. We found LA area rents to be similar (or even less in many cases) to FFC. Home prices (LA vs Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk) also similar, statistically. What people do is only look at the 'beautiful' areas they visit and think that's standard around the whole area, when it's not.
yeah, we've been through this before. LA County Median home is $630K (just the city 670K), FFC is $400K. Big diff.
Exclude the beautifuls like Bev Hills, Darien and those guys. Then the not so beautifuls -
Woodland Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Northridge, Encin, some others up there - all over $700K
vs
Stamford, Norwalk, Ridgefield Redding Fairfield Easton - All around 600K or less
No need to bother with the rest of CT, doesn't even come remotely close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 05:33 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
yeah, we've been through this before. LA County Median home is $630K (just the city 670K), FFC is $400K. Big diff.
Exclude the beautifuls like Bev Hills, Darien and those guys. Then the not so beautifuls -
Woodland Hills, Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Northridge, Encin, some others up there - all over $700K
vs
Stamford, Norwalk, Ridgefield Redding Fairfield Easton - All around 600K or less
On the Westside, where I live, in the neighborhood of Mar Vista (LA) or in Culver City (city in LA County) you won't get a house, that is decent, for below at least 800K. Both those areas are considered good, family neighborhoods. The valley, where you mentioned, are mostly families, etc.

You might get an 800 sq ft condo for 650k (my current condo which is 950 sq ft will most likely sell for closer to 800K) Compare that to a condo in say, SoNo--where you may spend 300-350K for the same sq footage, and updated.

Just crazy to think about. I am seriously enjoying LA, but I don't think I will ever buy here. It's much more realistic for me to buy back east (if I ever want to come back.) I've eyed Oxford or Fairfield.

FYI--my friends are buying an estate in Trumbull (Nichols)....for 900K. If you plopped it in Darien, I don't even want to think what it would go for.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:54 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
vs
First of all, Woodland Hills is very affluent. Second, the rest of those communities can be compared to your second tier FFC towns, like Ridgefield, Fairfield, Redding, etc. All of those are over 700k (except maybe Fairfield).

Second, you might want to look again. Can't compare county - have to compare metro area. Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk, which doesn't include Danbury area I believe, actually has a higher median home price than LA/Long Beach.

Stamford/Norwalk metro: median home price 626k
LA/Long Beach: median home price 617k

Making 50k in Stamford, means you can make 47k in LA to maintain the same standard of living.

See bankrate.com - it's what I use and have found to be pretty accurate, as it takes every aspect of COL into account, not just one thing.

Additionally, I lived there. Did you?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
First of all, Woodland Hills is very affluent. Second, the rest of those communities can be compared to your second tier FFC towns, like Ridgefield, Fairfield, Redding, etc. All of those are over 700k (except maybe Fairfield).

Second, you might want to look again. Can't compare county - have to compare metro area. Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk, which doesn't include Danbury area I believe, actually has a higher median home price than LA/Long Beach.

Stamford/Norwalk metro: median home price 626k
LA/Long Beach: median home price 617k

Making 50k in Stamford, means you can make 47k in LA to maintain the same standard of living.

See bankrate.com - it's what I use and have found to be pretty accurate, as it takes every aspect of COL into account, not just one thing.

Additionally, I lived there. Did you?
I believe you once mentioned Woodland hills as a more affordable alternative there.
The comparisons are close enough, can't be exact. I see $500K median sales the past year for Redding, and $600K for Ridgefield. Even a large city like Glendale with about 200K pop has a median of $770K the past year - outrageous. You would think the opposite.

Same for San Diego area. Rinse/repeat. (I did sort of live there)

Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Bay Area seems to trump everything though. $2.5 million median in Palo Alto. Insane.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I believe you once mentioned Woodland hills as a more affordable alternative there.
The comparisons are close enough, can't be exact. I see $500K median sales the past year for Redding, and $600K for Ridgefield. Even a large city like Glendale with about 200K pop has a median of $770K the past year - outrageous. You would think the opposite.

Same for San Diego area. Rinse/repeat. (I did sort of live there)
A more affordable alternative to the inner ring LA suburbs would be San Fernando/Riverside/Bernardino areas. That's about 45 minutes outside of LA (similar to SW CT in distance) and with a lower cost of living than both SW CT and the immediate LA area, where you can get a modest but nice home for 375-425.

Again, people visit the premier areas of LA and think every town has a $1m+ average home price. There is a lot more to LA than the west side, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc. LA's average resident doesn't live there, just like greater NYC's average resident doesn't live in Greenwich, Alpine and Scarsdale. They live in towns like Norwalk, Nyack, White Plains, etc.

Have to compare apples to apples.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bay Area seems to trump everything though. $2.5 million median in Palo Alto. Insane.
Insane, but that bubble is starting to lose air from what I've read.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
A more affordable alternative to the inner ring LA suburbs would be San Fernando/Riverside/Bernardino areas. That's about 45 minutes outside of LA (similar to SW CT in distance) and with a lower cost of living than both SW CT and the immediate LA area, where you can get a modest but nice home for 375-425.

Again, people visit the premier areas of LA and think every town has a $1m+ average home price. There is a lot more to LA than the west side, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Malibu, etc. LA's average resident doesn't live there, just like greater NYC's average resident doesn't live in Greenwich, Alpine and Scarsdale. They live in towns like Norwalk, Nyack, White Plains, etc.

Have to compare apples to apples.
Depends on what apples to apples means. To me and many it's location and commute. I don't care about town affluence levels. In FFC I can comfortably get 2000+ sq ft, 4 beds, approp sized lot, right near the coast (less than a mile as the crow flies) and 1/2 hour commute to work (spouse has 5 min commute), and were not in Bridgeport/Stratford/Trumbull and the schools are good. Not as easily done out there.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post

FYI--my friends are buying an estate in Trumbull (Nichols)....for 900K. If you plopped it in Darien, I don't even want to think what it would go for.
Holy S, you can buy your own kingdom in Trumbull for that much

Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 4,564 times
I agree. My husband and I make avg $90k a year together, but after cost of living, student loans, daycare costs (which is another mortgage payment), and regular living expenses, we are LEFT WITH PRACTICALLY NOTHING. I just can't get ahead and I'm trying to find a way forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut