Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Got to remember that land was much like rural low cost farmland when Ryder opened. Development changed that.
I am surprised that Ryder hung on as long as they did. That property was prime commercial development land for as long as I could remember. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:40 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am surprised that Ryder hung on as long as they did. That property was prime commercial development land for as long as I could remember. Jay
I am, too, but I think family knew politically it would be a battle to sell. Seniors vote. They also protest to legislators.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM

21,622 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Nep was probably 8 years younger when he first started talking about buying a home. Still demanded a lot, maybe even more than today. Jay
Uh, what? His Fairfield County home search (which you originally referred to when mentioning how picky he's being) was last year.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh, what? His Fairfield County home search (which you originally referred to when mentioning how picky he's being) was last year.
Before that he was living in the Hartford area where he moved several times (Vernon, Middletown, Plainville). He started talking about home purchases then and would not buy anything but a completely move-in ready newer home on a larger private lot on a very quiet street in a nicer town. His budget then was not going to get him that but he refused to compromise. Needless to say he changed jobs or lost his job and began the search that led him to Stamford. Jay

Old 07-03-2017, 02:17 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Before that he was living in the Hartford area where he moved several times (Vernon, Middletown, Plainville). He started talking about home purchases then and would not buy anything but a completely move-in ready newer home on a larger private lot on a very quiet street in a nicer town. His budget then was not going to get him that but he refused to compromise. Needless to say he changed jobs or lost his job and began the search that led him to Stamford. Jay
and had to have covered garage and good cafeteria at work. Plus can't work OT. A clock watcher.

He is ultra picky, and now after too much job-hopping (which is determined by the buyer (hiring mg) , not the applicant, he is likely out of options.

I suspect he got Stamford largely due to his first job being a great industry to get experience in-from hiring managers perspective. But that boost wore out via never committing long-term to even one employer.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not really a job hopper. Yes, I should have kept my job in Stamford. But I voluntarily changed jobs three times in an 9-year period. That's really not uncommon for early career professionals. It's very, very normal, in fact. But due to being involuntarily terminated three times, it has given employers the impression that I cannot commit, even though that is far from the truth. It's just something I have to deal with now. So, I partially blame myself and partially blame the employers.

At this point, our survival of the fittest, capitalist system is pushing me out and I can feel it. No one wants me, so I'm left to die, basically. What an epic waste of talent, skills and experience. All down the drain.
By my count, you had 3 jobs over a 4 year period (Stamford, Columbus, Middletown). That dear friend is a job hopper. Jay

Old 07-03-2017, 02:33 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Indeed 100k is still a salary where many can feel broke in CT. We sure did. If you are super modest couple or family without many expectations from life you will be comfortable at 100k. If not, errrr, not so much. We are having our first child shortly and I have clinical grade night terrors of my wife deciding she will never go back to work again and our income halved, back to the days of justifying every single purchase.

If you are okay with an old beater car + modest new car, renting or small home, don't wish to travel much, grocery shop regularly, eat out almost never, don't want more than 1 kid and don't intend to pay for kids college, want to retire at 70+ years, and don't care about material things...the. 100k will make you feel Completely at ease here.

However, if you want more than 1 kid, pay for those kids colleges, pay for daughter(s) wedding, send them to camp, travel and explore some of the country and world with them, comfortably retire (at least one partner) at 60-65, wind down later in life, have toys like jet skis/the best TV/vacation home or condo, remain debt free, or well controlled and managed debt, and to go to the store and not have to think "should I really spend $20 on THAT?", then no...100k is completely inadequate in CT.

For our lifestyle, our desires, our life plans, we will need HH income of ~250k in CT.

To be fair, in this day and age, 100k will not achieve the latter in most of the very desirable places. 125-175k will though. CT problem is not only that it doesn't meet that financial freedom range, but it's also not on the desirable list...even if it could....

Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
When I lived in Norwalk and worked in Stamford a couple years ago I was making $77K +22% bonus and was living comfortably as a renter. Granted, my apartment sucked, but that's besides the point. Home ownership was unattainable, however, in order to maintain a reasonable commute and not live in a fixer upper on a busy road.

Now I live in Hartford County and have determined that I can live comfortably here and save money on a salary as low as $40K. Contributing to retirement savings, however, would not be possible. The good news, is that I would qualify for the health insurance premium tax credit (Obamacare subsidies) if purchased on the marketplace, at that income level as well as food stamps and possibly Section 8 housing. I'm looking into it as we speak, because that could be a reality for me in a couple months.
Really Nep, living comfortably? There's about 800 pages of content from 30+ threads on this forum that suggest otherwise.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Indeed 100k is still a salary where many can feel broke in CT. We sure did. If you are super modest couple or family without many expectations from life you will be comfortable at 100k. If not, errrr, not so much. We are having our first child shortly and I have clinical grade night terrors of my wife deciding she will never go back to work again and our income halved, back to the days of justifying every single purchase.

If you are okay with an old beater car + modest new car, renting or small home, don't wish to travel much, grocery shop regularly, eat out almost never, don't want more than 1 kid and don't intend to pay for kids college, want to retire at 70+ years, and don't care about material things...the. 100k will make you feel Completely at ease here.

However, if you want more than 1 kid, pay for those kids colleges, pay for daughter(s) wedding, send them to camp, travel and explore some of the country and world with them, comfortably retire (at least one partner) at 60-65, wind down later in life, have toys like jet skis/the best TV/vacation home or condo, remain debt free, or well controlled and managed debt, and to go to the store and not have to think "should I really spend $20 on THAT?", then no...100k is completely inadequate in CT.

For our lifestyle, our desires, our life plans, we will need HH income of ~250k in CT.

To be fair, in this day and age, 100k will not achieve the latter in most of the very desirable places. 125-175k will though. CT problem is not only that it doesn't meet that financial freedom range, but it's also not on the desirable list...even if it could....

Rent in Waterbury you save alot lol

Old 07-03-2017, 04:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
By my count, you had 3 jobs over a 4 year period (Stamford, Columbus, Middletown). That dear friend is a job hopper. Jay
You're missing the point. You should only be judging me on voluntary resignations as a litmus test to determine if I'm a job hopper or not. During this 11 year period, I have only voluntarily resigned from 3 jobs. Sure, it could have been only 2 resignations, but 3 isn't THAT bad for a young professional over the course of 11 years. It is completely unfair to call me a job hopper when the last two jobs were eliminated at the discretion of the employer and my intent was to stay put at both jobs. Even national labor statistics show that American workers aged 25-34 change jobs about every 3 years on average. It's very, very common, and in fact, often beneficial to developing professionals who want to advance their career and earn more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut