Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 AM

845 posts, read 680,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
Well you'll have to go back in time if want to use CL&P.
Ugh, right eversource. I hated their rebranding. I'll always remember it as CL&P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:23 AM

504 posts, read 385,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
Ugh, right eversource. I hated their rebranding. I'll always remember it as CL&P
Concurred! I liked it better when they kept the names different.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,491 times
Looks like they are trying to get rid of these 3rd party electric suppliers. Most people arent saving money and are actually spending more by the tune of 200 million! What a scam.

Eliminate third-party electricity suppliers, officials urge

Customers of third-party electric paid $200 million more, official says

https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/04/elim...fficials-urge/

Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM

60 posts, read 54,311 times
Mass is also considering...

https://www.mass.gov/news/ag-healey-...try-to-protect

Old 02-05-2019, 11:17 AM

184 posts, read 106,675 times
Its funny you posted that, I was just looking at changing suppliers the other day. I had received one of those, switch to us get $75 gift card offers in the mail and went to my eversource account to see what the rate looked like. It led me to here:

https://www.energizect.com/compare-energy-suppliers/

You actually need to spend some time on the website and play around with the different offers. You can actually get a lower rate, but the trick is in getting rid of the fees like enrollment fee and monthly fee. Can you save alot? Maybe.

I did this in Mass once, and I think this is the part where people get really tripped up, and I learned my lesson, is that when you do switch, at the end of the contract, when the contract is over, they boost the rate big time. Like I went from 8 cents to 20 cents, and my electric bill blew up. Called up, and switched back.

So I am planning on doing it again, switching the provider, difference being, I will mark on my calendar a month ahead to make sure to change again before that period at the low rate ends.

In the end, its finding websites like above, and just keeping up with it like you do with anything else. Maybe you lose out if eversource drops it rates, but, how often does that happen?

I gotta be the honest, the quotes from the AARP people are a bit of a joke. Get help at your local senior citizen center. And yes, while some of the rates are higher then what you are paying, its due to some of the supplier providing more renewable energy then the state requires. So if you really have a green thumb, you can pay for it!

Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM

538 posts, read 331,691 times
Yes these 3rd party suppliers hope you forget your lower rate only lasts for the initial 3-6-9 months and then charge you a much higher rate. I looked to switch recently from UI and the offers now aren't even that good. I'd save maybe 5-6$ a month. The distribution charges don't change at all.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 AM

184 posts, read 106,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Yes these 3rd party suppliers hope you forget your lower rate only lasts for the initial 3-6-9 months and then charge you a much higher rate. I looked to switch recently from UI and the offers now aren't even that good. I'd save maybe 5-6$ a month. The distribution charges don't change at all.
agreed the rates were not huge savings - i figured this has to do with summer months coming up when people turn on the central air.

and yeah, the distribution piece does not change.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM

60 posts, read 54,311 times
The Eversource generation rates go up in January (announced in early November) because gas prices go up in the winter (due to the large demand for heating use) and the go down in July (announced in early May). If you can lock in late October for 9 months to a year, you can save. Otherwise, not worth the trouble.

The distribution rates never go down...

Even better, go solar and then you don't have to worry about rate fluctuation.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Here in MA,state law allows the cities and towns to aggregate all the residential properties with the town facilities to negotiate rates. You have to opt out to stay with your preferred supplier.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:07 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
I used 3rd party for a few years got caught in a billing cycle or two with higher rates that was their game charge more after the contract ends. Pre 2017 I could save $15 bucks a month since then the savings have been un der $5 when I calculate it so I haven't bothered. I just looked and looks like I may save $10. I wonder if the third parties are trying to up their game to prevent legislation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut